The Graduate Programs

For information regarding the Graduate Programs contact:
Dr. K. Paul Jones
Dean of Graduate Studies
309 Administration Building
The University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, Tennessee 38238
(901) 881-7012
(901) 881-7499 fax

Graduate Programs in Business Administration

Master of Accountancy
Master of Business Administration

Dr. Richard Griffin, Coordinator of Graduate Programs in Business Administration
133 Business Administration Building
(901) 881-7308

Dr. Michael McCullough, Coordinator of MBA Extension at Lambuth University
214 Jones Hall
Lambuth University
Jackson, TN 38305
(901) 424-3350

Graduate Programs in Education

Master of Science in Education

Dr. Karen Greenockle, Coordinator of Graduate Programs in Education
237 Gooch Hall
(901) 881-7129

Graduate Programs in Human Environmental Sciences

Master of Science in Human Environmental Sciences

Dr. Lisa LeBleu, Coordinator of Graduate Program in Human Environmental Sciences
332D Gooch Hall
(901) 881-7116

Admission Procedures and Requirements

General Requirements

Anyone with a bachelor's degree wishing to take courses for graduate credit, whether or not he/she wishes to become a candidate for a degree, must make formal application for admission to graduate study. Admission to graduate study does not make a student a candidate for a graduate degree. Only persons who have received a letter of admission from the Dean of Graduate Studies may enroll in graduate courses. An applicant may be admitted at the beginning of any semester. The Graduate Studies Office, however, cannot guarantee that an application will be processed if it does not arrive at least fourteen (14) days prior to the opening date of a semester or session. All documents used for admission purposes become the property of The University of Tennessee at Martin and will not be returned. Students have the right to review their individual files.

Admission requirements for the individual programs can be found on the following pages: MAc and MBA in Business Administration, page 319, M.S. in Education, page 320, M.S. in Human Environmental Sciences, page 322.


Students who were previously enrolled as a graduate student at UTM but have not been enrolled for one semester (excluding summer), must submit an updated application form in order to reactivate their files.

Procedures for Admission

  1. Obtain an application for admission from the Graduate Studies Office, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee, 38238.
  2. Return the completed application form with a check or money order for the $25 nonrefundable application fee ($50 for foreign students).
  3. Request the registrars of all colleges and universities attended to send one official transcript directly to the Graduate Studies Office.
  4. Request that your scores on the appropriate qualifying examination be sent directly to the Graduate Studies Office by the testing agency. NTE scores may be certified by the superintendent's office of school systems in which one has worked if the score is no longer available from the testing agency.
  5. Foreign students must also follow the special instructions detailed on page 315. A decision on admission cannot be made until all of these procedures have been completed and official documents have been received. Students who have not been admitted may not register for classes.

Each applicant is responsible for arranging the appropriate qualifying examination and for requesting the transmission of scores directly to the Graduate Studies Office from the Educational Testing Service.

Application forms may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey 08450, or from the UT Martin Graduate Studies Office. The completed application form and examination fee must reach the proper office at the Educational Testing Service approximately one month in advance of the test date (the dates are listed on the application). Approximately six weeks should be allowed for examination results to reach the University.

Foreign Students

The University of Tennessee at Martin has an active foreign student program. The University wishes to encourage qualified degree seeking graduate students from other countries, but in fairness to such students, must emphasize that no fellowships or other financial aid are currently available for beginning foreign students.

Applicants for graduate school admission from foreign countries must furnish the following in addition to meeting all entrance requirements:

  1. A completed, signed application including an accurate chronological outline of all previous education.
  2. Official school or university transcript(s) with certified translations if the records are in a language other than English. Transcripts must include descriptive titles of courses studied and grades gained in final examinations.
  3. Draft or money order for the $50 non-refundable application fee.
  4. Official report of a score of at least 525 (paper/pencil) or 197 (computer based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) taken within the last two years, unless the applicant's native language is English or the applicant has earned a degree within the past three years from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States which he or she has attended for at least three years.
  5. A completed, signed confidential financial statement. (The University reserves the right to require foreign students to submit a deposit before registering for classes.)
  6. A completed health statement on the form provided by the University.
  7. A brief handwritten statement about the course of study the student plans to follow and how it relates to his/her career objectives.

All materials should be in the International Programs Office well in advance of the semester in which the applicant plans to enroll. An accepted applicant will be issued a letter of admission and an I-20 form, which will be necessary to obtain a student visa. Students must appear on campus no later than the date specified on the I-20 form.

A foreign student whose use of the English language appears to be inadequate after he/she arrives at the University will be required to take an English proficiency examination. If the student cannot pass this examination, he/she will be required to enroll in a course in English for foreign students.

Types of Admission

Admission Requirements for the School of Business Administration

Applicants may be admitted as degree seeking (Unconditional, Conditional, or Unclassified) or non-degree as listed below. Degree seeking applicants must meet the University requirements listed above under "Types of Admission."

  1. Unconditional Admission
      1. hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND
      2. have earned a Cum GPA such that 200 times GPA plus the total score on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) must equal at least 1,050 points or, if the Sr Yr GPA is used, the sum of GPA times 200 plus GMAT must equal at least 1,100 (Minimum acceptable GMAT score is 400).


    1. If the applicant's exceptional professional achievement clearly demonstrates to the School of Business Administration Admission Committee high promise of success at graduate work, then the applicant must:
      1. hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND
      2. have earned a Cum GPA such that 200 times GPA plus the total score on the GMAT must equal at least 950 points or, if the Sr Yr GPA is used, the sum of GPA times 200 plus GMAT must equal at least 1,000 (Minimum acceptable GMAT score is 400).
  2. Conditional Admission
  3. Unclassified or Non-Degree Admission

Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses

The following courses, or their equivalent, are required as prerequisites to both of the Master's programs in business administration. These courses must be completed prior to enrollment in graduate courses.

The following courses, or their equivalent, are required as prerequisites or corequisites to both of the Master's programs in business administration. If taken as corequisites, students must have official transcripts sent to Office of Graduate Studies prior to starting their second semester of graduate study showing satisfactory completion of the course(s) with a grade of at least a C.

Other specific course prerequisites may be required in the MAc program.

Admission Requirements for the School of Education

Applicants may be admitted as degree seeking (Unconditional, Conditional, or Unclassified) or non-degree as listed below. Degree seeking applicants must meet the University requirements listed above under "Types of Admission," have received licensure to teach (Major in Teaching unless seeking Initial Licensure), and must meet one of the following minimal qualifying exam scores:

GRE verbal and quantitative combined score of 650, or

Minimum score(s) as set forth by the Tennessee State Department of Education for teacher licensure at the time licensure was received. (Current Requirement: Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching K-6 score of 155, 7-12 score of 159, or

MAT (Miller Analogies Test) score of 32.)

In addition to the above, applicants for a Major in Counseling must submit the following for review and positive recommendation of the Counseling Admission Board:

  1. three letters of recommendation from school superintendents, principals, teachers, professors and/or employers. Each letter must provide clear evidence that addresses the candidate's counseling skills and/or potential which will enable the individual to become a counselor.
  2. a two-page typed essay that fully describes the candidate's skills and experiences relevant to becoming a successful counselor. The candidate must also discuss the perceived personal abilities and attributes that will enable the counseling candidate to become a successful counselor.
  3. a resume. The resume needs to fully describe the candidate's degrees, and importantly, the person's occupational experiences-particularly any counseling experiences obtained.

For further details, contact the Coordinator of Graduate Programs in Education.

Applicants who do not receive a positive recommendation from the Counseling Admissions Board for admission to the UTM Counseling Program, and wish to appeal the decision, must do so within four weeks of the issuance of their denial notice/letter by the UTM Dean of Graduate Studies.

Additional requirements for unconditional and conditional admission appear below.

A. Unconditional Admission

Minimum qualifying examination score listed above, cumulative GPA of at least 2.70, and sufficient formula points as shown below.

(Verbal + Quantitative)
+ 400 x Cum GPA
= at least 1850
Core Battery Total
+ 50 x Cum GPA
= at least 2095
Prin of Lrn&Tch K-6, 7-12
+ 40 x Cum GPA
  = at least 277
Qualifying Exam Score
+ 40 x Cum GPA  
= at least 152

B. Conditional Admission

Minimum qualifying examination score listed above, cumulative or senior year GPA listed in conditional admission, and formula points as shown below.

(Verbal + Quantitative)
+ 400 x Cum GPA
= at least 1650


(Verbal + Quantitative)
+ 400 x SrYr GPA
= at least 1850
Core Battery Total
+ 50 x Cum GPA
= at least 2055


Core Battery Total
+ 50 x SrYr GPA
= at least 2080
Prin of Lrn&Tch K-6, 7-12
+ 40 x Cum GPA
  = at least 257


Prin of Lrn&Tch K-6, 7-12
+ 40 x SrYr GPA
  = at least 277
Qualifying Exam Score
+ 40 x Cum GPA  
= at least 132


Qualifying Exam Score
+ 40 x SrYr GPA  
= at least 152

C. Unclassified or Non-Degree Admission

Applicants who do not meet requirements for either Unconditional or Conditional admission may be eligible for Unclassified or Non-Degree admission. See previous section on university "Types of Admission."

Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses Required by State Department of Education For Students Majoring in Teaching Seeking Initial Licensure

Admission Requirements for the Department of Human Environmental Sciences

Applicants may be admitted as degree seeking (Unconditional, Conditional, or Unclassified) or non-degree as listed below. Degree seeking applicants must meet the University requirements listed above under "Types of Admission."

  1. Unconditional Admission


  2. Conditional Admission


  3. Unclassified or Non-Degree Admission

The student must have satisfactorily completed prerequisites to advanced courses in the selected areas in human environmental sciences. Graduates of curricula other than human environmental sciences may have acquired sufficient backgrounds in related sciences and may be accepted. Each applicant's request for admission to the program and to specific courses will be evaluated for the need for undergraduate prerequisites.

Admission to the Dietetic Internship Program (DI) is in addition to admission to the university. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for admission to the clinical portion of the Dietetic Internship Program (DI) in dietetics under Dietetics option of the Masters Program. The applications are screened for selection on a competitive basis by a committee. Exceptions to minimum requirements will be screened for possible acceptance into the program.

  1. Minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA on a 4.00 Scale or equivalent.
  2. Verification statement showing completion of current Plan IV or DPD.
  3. Recency of education in courses related to practice. If the degree is over 5 years old, 6 credit hours of college coursework must be taken; if degree is over 10 years old, 12 credit hours of coursework are required.
  4. Preference given to applicants whose combined verbal and quantitative GRE scores equal or exceed 900.

Academic Regulations

Each graduate student assumes full responsibility for knowledge of the rules and regulations of The Graduate Program and departmental requirements concerning the individual degree program. A statement on student rights is included in the Student Handbook. Copies of the Handbook are available in the Office of Student Affairs.

Withdrawal from Graduate Studies

If a student no longer wishes to be a graduate student, he/she must complete a "Withdrawal from Graduate Studies" form available in the Graduate Studies Office. If the student later wishes to be readmitted to Graduate Studies, he/she must complete an application for admission, pay the non-refundable application fee, and meet admission requirements in effect at that time.

Changes in Registration and Withdrawing from the University

First Week: Course changes may be made during the first week of the semester if approved by the advisor.

Dropping Courses Within First Seven Weeks: At the discretion of a student's advisor, a course may be dropped during the first seven weeks of a semester. Withdrawals executed during the first week will not appear on the student's academic record. A student who drops a course during the second through fourth weeks will receive an automatic WD (withdrawal). A student who drops a course during the fifth through seventh weeks will receive a WP or WF, based upon the instructor's judgment of the student's performance at the time of withdrawal. If an advisor refuses permission, the student cannot drop the course. The instructor's permission, however, is not required.

Dropping Courses After First Seven Weeks: If a course is dropped after the first seven weeks of a semester, the grade of F shall automatically be assigned unless it can be clearly demonstrated that one of the following exists:

  1. illness or injury of the student as verified by the student health service or private physician;
  2. serious personal or family problems as verified by the student's parents, minister, physician, etc.;
  3. necessary change in work schedule as verified by the student's employer;
  4. change of major to a program in which the course that the student wishes to drop would not normally be used in satisfying degree requirements. Acceptance of the student into the new program should be verified by the dean of the school administering the program. In the event of such certification the student shall receive the grade of WP (signifying passing at the time of withdrawal), or the grade of WF (signifying failure), as indicated by the instructor.

Withdrawing From University (Dropping All Coursework): If a student wishes to withdraw from the University (drop all coursework), he/she must do so officially through the Office of Student Affairs. Failure to withdraw properly may result in the assignment of a failing grade for each course at the end of the term. For an explanation of the assignment of grades for students withdrawing from the university, see the sections above.

Course Loads

A full load is 9 semester hours. Four hours will be considered a half-time load and 6 hours will be considered a three-quarter load. Undergraduate hours taken to meet degree requirements will be included with all graduate hours to determine course load.

The maximum load for a graduate student is 15 semester hours during Fall and Spring semesters and 6 semester hours per session during Summer. To register for more than the maximum during any semester requires approval of the appropriate Graduate Coordinator.

Students who are employed full-time must secure permission from the appropriate Graduate Coordinator to enroll for more than 6 hours of graduate course work. Graduate assistants and others who have part-time duties with the University may only enroll for an appropriate fraction of the maximum load such as follows:

Assistants employed 20 hours per week - maximum of 9 semester hours.
Assistants employed 15 hours per week - maximum of 12 semester hours.
Assistants employed 12 hours per week - maximum of 15 semester hours.

Course Numbers

Courses numbered 500 and above are for graduate credit. Courses in the 700 group are for graduate students only. Courses in the 500 and 600 groups are the same as specified 300 and 400 level courses for undergraduates but have additional requirements beyond those expected of undergraduate students. They may be taken for graduate credit when offered in the course schedule under the 500/600 number if the student has not already completed the undergraduate equivalent. The last two digits for these 500/600 level graduate courses are the same as their undergraduate equivalents.

The course descriptions for 500 level courses appear in numeric sequence under the equivalent 300 level course. The 500 number appears in parentheses after the 300 number. No more than three semester hours of 500 level course work may be applied toward a degree. The course descriptions for 600 level courses appear in numeric sequence under the equivalent 400 level course. The 600 number appears in parentheses after the 400 number.


Graduate study in any department must be preceded by sufficient undergraduate work in the major field and/or related areas to satisfy the department that the student has adequate back-ground for graduate work in that field. The catalog lists some, but not necessarily all prerequi-sites, since these may vary with the individual student's background, goals, and competencies.

Graduate students taking undergraduate prerequisite courses must make a "C" or better in each course. Students who do not achieve the required grade in undergraduate prerequisite courses will not be allowed to take additional graduate coursework until a satisfactory grade is achieved in the undergraduate course(s) in question.

Course Substitutions and Student Petitions

A course substitution request may be filed when there is just cause for the substitution (e.g., course was previously taken for undergraduate credit). To avoid possible delay in graduation, students should obtain permission from the advisor, the graduate coordinator, and the School Committee prior to scheduling a course which they believe can be substituted for a required course. This procedure should be followed especially when an advisor recommends a course in apparent contradiction to the requirements set forth in the catalog.

Graduate students wishing to petition for changes in their program or for other matters should consult with their advisor.

The appropriate forms for submission of course substitution and overload requests or student petitions may be obtained from the graduate program coordinator. Graduate Council approval is also necessary, in addition to the approvals stated previously, for any requests involving University policy. If the petition warrants action by the Graduate Council, the student will be notified both of the meeting date and of the final decision by the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Transfer Credit

A maximum of six semester hours completed at a regionally accredited institution may be transferred into a student's master's program if all of the following conditions are met:

  1. if taken for graduate residence credit, i.e. no correspondence or extension credit allowed (see below);
  2. if passed with a grade of B or better;
  3. if part of an otherwise satisfactory graduate program (B average);
  4. if the transferred course work was not earned more than six years prior to the semester in which the student completes all degree requirements; and
  5. if approved by the student's advisor, the appropriate graduate coordinator, and the Dean of Graduate Studies. NOTE: If already matriculated at UT Martin, approval should be obtained before enrolling in the proposed course(s).

Transferred work will not be counted in computing the grade point average on courses completed in the graduate program.

The total number of transferred residence courses may exceed six semester hours when within the University of Tennessee system. Credits transferred into the master's program will not reduce the residence requirements. No correspondence work may be used to meet master's degree requirements. No credit designated as extension credit at other institutions may be transferred into a student's master's program.

Grades and Grade Appeals

Graduate students are required to make an overall minimum grade point average of 3.00 (B) in courses taken for graduate credit. Graduate credit is allowed only for courses completed with grades A, B, C, and P (Pass or Progress). Grades of D or F are counted in computing the scholastic average but carry no credit toward graduation. Only the subsequent grade received in any course which is approved for repeat (see below) will be used in calculation of the grade point average. Transferred work will not be counted in computing the grade point average of courses completed in the graduate program. The grade of P (Progress) or N (Insufficient Progress) will be assigned to students registered for thesis or final project courses.

The work of a student who is passing a course satisfactorily but cannot complete all the requirements due to illness, accident, or unavoidable circumstances may be reported as Incomplete (I). Any faculty member may give an "Incomplete" (I) in any course to a student whom the faculty member regards as deficient in English in that course, but who is otherwise passing. The "Incomplete" (I) will be removed when the Department of English certifies to the instructor that the student has made the necessary improvement. It is expected that the student will remove the Incomplete during the next semester after it is received. The student granted a bona fide I by his/her instructor may have the first five weeks of the next regular semester to erase the Incomplete before it is computed as an F. Thereafter, it shall be computed as an F until changed by student action within one calendar year of receiving the I or by automatic action after one calendar year when the I shall become a permanent F. The student need not be enrolled to remove the Incomplete.

When a graduate student wishes to appeal a grade, the appeal process must be initiated within the first three weeks of the next semester. The aggrieved student shall first discuss the matter with the faculty member involved to see if there is some error or misunderstanding which can be resolved between them. Failing this, the student should follow the appeal process that is described in the Student Handbook if he/she wishes to pursue the matter.

Repeating a Course

No graduate student will be allowed to repeat a course for the purpose of raising a grade. Students wishing to repeat required courses in which they have received a grade of D or F must have the prior approval of their advisor, the graduate program coordinator, and the Dean of Graduate Studies. Violation of these regulations will result in the deletion of the grade and credit for the invalid repeat from the official University records. A student's enrollment in UT Martin's equivalent of any non-transferrable course does not constitute a repeat.

Dismissal and Reinstatement Policies

  1. Graduate students admitted on a Conditional basis and dismissed for failure to meet the requirements specified in their letter of admission may not apply for reinstatement to the same major.
  2. Graduate students who fail to maintain a cumulative 3.00 average will automatically be placed onacademic probation. Such students will be continued on probation until a 3.00 cumulative average is achieved as long as they maintain a 3.00 semester average on graduate work during the probationary period. If they fail to achieve a 3.00 semester average any semester during the probation period, they will be dropped from the Graduate School.

    MBA and MAc students who are placed on probation must maintain a 3.00 semester average and regain an overall 3.00 GPA within the next 12 semester hours of graduate coursework taken or be dropped from the program. All graduate courses scheduled during the semester in which the twelfth graduate hour is completed will be used in calculating the grade point average.

  3. Students dropped from the program for reasons outlined in #2 above may, upon recommendation of the appropriate coordinator, be reinstated. Reinstatement, however, is not automatic. The student must consult with the appropriate graduate coordinator who then will submit a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies before action can be taken on the matter. A student may be reinstated through this process only once.
  4. A student may appeal a negative decision for reinstatement by sending a written statement to the Graduate Council. The student will be notified when the petition will be brought before the Council and will have an opportunity to appear in person to present his/her case. The Dean of Graduate Studies will notify the student of the Council's decision.

Appointment of an Advisor

The Graduate Coordinator in the student's major area is the general advisor for all graduate students in that school. A permanent advisor in his/her major should be appointed during the first semester of enrollment.

Intent to Graduate

An Intent to Graduate Card must be filed no later than the beginning of the semester prior to the anticipated final semester. This card may be obtained from the advisor or graduate coordinator.

Financial Information

Requirements for Degrees

General Requirements

Residence and Time Limits

The minimum residence requirement for the master's degree is the equivalent of two semesters of full-time graduate study (18 semester hours). Most programs require a minimum of 30 hours for the thesis option and 36 hours for the non-thesis option. Refer to the individual program requirements for exceptions.

The time limit for the use of graduate credit toward a master's degree is six years from the beginning date of the earliest course applied toward the degree. Normally, this time limit may not be extended. In exceptional cases, courses taken beyond this period may be recognized by special written examination if given prior approval by the Graduate Council.

Thesis Option

Students in Human Environmental Sciences may choose to write a thesis. This option is not available for students in Business Administration or Education.

The student's major professor serves as chairman of the thesis committee. The committee also includes two other graduate faculty members. If a student does not have a minor, all members may be from the major department. If a student does have a minor, one member from the minor department shall be included on the committee. A student should consult the appropriate graduate coordinator regarding the formation of the thesis committee at the time the thesis option is elected. The thesis courses (Human Environmental Sciences 701-702) must be taken consecutively. Only one course may be selected each semester.

Human Environmental Sciences students schedule a regular conference with their thesis committee chairman and periodic evaluation conferences with members of their thesis committee to assess strengths and weaknesses. A statement of progress is prepared to assist in planning the balance of the graduate program.

Theses are to follow the style of the current Thesis and Dissertation Manual of the Tennessee Conference of Graduate Schools which is available at the UT Martin Bookstore. It is the responsibility of the student to secure and comply with these guidelines.

Two unbound final copies of the committee-approved thesis must be presented to the Dean of Graduate Studies no later than two weeks before the end of the semester (including final exams) in which the student expects to graduate. The student must make any necessary corrections in the unbound copies of the thesis in the Graduate Studies Office no later than one week before the end of the semester. The student must be enrolled for thesis credit the term the thesis is accepted. Exception: An approved thesis submitted to the Graduate Studies Office on the Friday before registration for the semester in which the student will graduate.

Use of Human Subjects in Research

Federal laws require that research projects (whether undertaken by students or faculty members) involving human subjects be designed to protect the physical, psychological, and emotional well-being of these subjects. Current regulations state that formal protection approval must be obtained if human subjects are used other than in a normal educational setting or if those subjects are at risk because of physical intrusion or privacy violation. Approval forms may be obtained from the Research Office.

Non-Thesis Option

A student who elects this option (available for all degree programs) must meet the requirements as stated for his/her degree. Courses must be approved in advance by his/her advisor. A written comprehensive examination is required and will be scheduled during the final semester of coursework.

Master Research Project

Students in the Master of Science in Education with a major in Teaching (if professionally licensed to teach) must complete a Master Research Project for their culminating experience during their last two semesters.