Student Development and Services

The University provides a number of services which assist the student in his/her daily living.

The University provides a number of services which assist the student in his/her daily living.

The University Computer Center

UT Martin's computer center, located in Crisp Hall, provides computing facilities and services for research, instruction and administrative computing. Campus facilities include an IBM 9221-191 mainframe, some Sun server computers, and several computer laboratories containing a total of 185 microcomputers. All microcomputers are attached to the campus network, which provides online access to the campus facilities and to most of the computers on the campus of The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The computer center's electronic communication network is connected to the Internet. Administrative computing is accomplished through a combination of the campus's IBM 9221-191 and the central computers on the Knoxville campus. All residence hall rooms and campus apartments have ports for connection to the Internet. The computer center also operates a campus computer store, a computer repair service, telephone technical services, copier maintenance service and a cable television system.

UT Martin's Counseling Center

Services of the UT Martin Counseling Center are available to all enrolled students. Included in the center are:

The center provides a broad range of services for students in academic, vocational and personal areas, in addition to maintaining an open-door policy to assist students whenever possible.

No fees are charged to the student for counseling and/or consultation. Nominal fees may be required for evaluation and some workshops and seminars. If indicated and appropriate, a referral may be suggested.

All services and records are treated in strict confidence as governed by professional codes, ethics and relevant state and federal statutes. Information may be released to others, however, upon the student's specific written authorization. The counseling center is located in the Boling University Center.

Freshman Studies

All freshmen who attend Freshman Studies participate in study skills classes taught by faculty members. Those faculty members, along with peer counselors, meet periodically during the fall semester with their small groups to discuss career choices, attend cultural events, and to evaluate their experiences during their first semester.

Services for Students with Disabilities

It is the policy of the Office of Student Affairs and the PACE (Program Access for College Enhancement) Program to provide reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments and auxiliary aids) to assist students with disabilities in negotiating the university system. For additional information on services to students with physical disabilities, contact Dr. Ann Duncan at 901-881-7704. For additional information on the PACE Program that serves students with learning disabilities and ADD, contact Dr. Barbara Gregory at 901-881-7195. Also see the university's 504/ADA statement on page 35.

The Student Academic Support Center

UT Martin coordinates its learning support activities through the Student Academic Support Center. Help for students begins with placement tests, which students take during orientation. The tests help advisors know students' appropriate beginning levels. One test may show, for example, that students need greater reading skills; they may choose to take a reading course which will help them deal with the increased size and difficulty of the college reading load.

Once in classes, students will find a range of available aid. They may get drop-in help for writing needs in the Writing Center, Andy Holt Humanities 209. A Math Lab operates on the fourth floor of the Andy Holt Humanities Building on Monday through Thursday evenings and in the humanities building basement during the day. Students often want to learn how to manage their time effectively, how to succeed in a particular course, or how to prepare for a particular examination. To learn what labs, courses, tutoring, printed and computer materials, and counseling UT Martin offers, students may inquire at the Student Academic Support Center office, Clement Hall 206-210, or may call 901-881-7744.

The CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) and GED (General Education Development) tests are administered in the Student Academic Support Center. The GED is provided weekly, by appointment. For more CLEP or GED information, contact the Testing Center in the Student Academic Support Center, Clement Hall, Room 210 or 211, or call 901-881-7744.

UT Martin's Study Skills Center

The UT Martin Study Skills Center, located in rooms 206-210 of Clement Hall, offers students help with time management, notetaking, and other study skills related to academic performance. Films, tapes, written materials and individual counseling are all available resources.

Career Services

Career Counseling

The Office of Couseling and Career Services, located in the Boling University Center, assists students, prospective students and alumni with career decisions. Career testing to determine occupations which best fit an individual's aptitude, interest and values is available. Counseling is available regarding academic majors, career choices and vocational goals. Career exploration classes are offered for academic credit during the fall and spring semesters. Additional information on specific occupations is available through an extensive career library.

Student Employment

Also at Counseling and Career Services, students can find temporary part-time employment opportunities that are not based on financial need. Part-time work opportunities are available off-campus as well as in the various schools and offices of the university. Students must come to the center and make application each semester to be considered for employment. For additional information, call 901-881-7740.

Senior/Alumni Employment Information Services

Counseling and Career Services also provides assistance to degree candidates and alumni in securing professional employment. The services are free and available year-round. Candidates for degrees are encouraged to set up a graduate file early in their senior year to take advantage of the various employment services offered. For additional information, call 901-881-7740.

Automobile Regulations for Student Vehicles

Students who operate vehicles on campus are required to register their vehicles with the Office of Public Safety at registration time. Students are expected to operate their vehicles under the regulations in the current Parking and Traffic Regulations issued at the time of their registration. Vehicles brought to campus after registration must be registered within 24 hours. A vehicle registration decal showing that the car has been registered is provided at a fee of $15 per year and is to be displayed on the left side of the front and rear windshield. If the bumpers are chrome, place the decals on the driver's front and rear bumper. Disabled students will be given special consideration upon recommendation of the university physician.

Veterans Service

The University of Tennessee at Martin is fully approved by the State Approving Agency to provide training under the Vocational Rehabilitation and War Orphans' Assistance programs, the Veterans Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966, and the Veterans Educational Assistance Program.

Counseling service for veterans is available at the Office of Student Financial Assistance in room 205 of the Hall-Moody Administration Building. All students planning to enter under provisions of a veterans' educational program are urged to apply to the appropriate agency for necessary authorization well in advance of their registration date.

UT Martin will certify only those courses which are included in the major field of study selected by the student; certification of "elective courses" will be limited to the number of elective hours permitted in the designated major. Electives must be selected from the academic areas prescribed in the college catalog for each specified major.

The student receiving benefits must show evidence of making "satisfactory" progress toward his/her educational objective, as defined in the college catalog. Class attendance will be a major factor in determining satisfactory academic progress.

Certification will not be allowed for any course(s) previously passed (D or above) or any course(s) designated as "incomplete." An "F" can only be repeated when it is required in the veteran's designated major.

For more information, contact 901-881-7031.

Student Life

UT Martin offers many opportunities to get involved and experience college life outside the classroom. Student organizations represent a variety of interests. There are professional societies and fraternities, curriculum-related clubs and organizations, service organizations and social fraternities and sororities. UT Martin offers an active recreational program of athletic events, intramural sports for both men and women, and leisure recreation.

University Museum

The University Museum provides exciting and stimulating educational experiences for UT Martin students, area school children and the general public. Programming includes featured travelling and indigenous exhibits in addition to continuous displays. The exhibits are presented in the Museum located in the Holland McCombs Center and Archives situated between Gooch Hall and the Hall-Moody Administration Building on University Street.

The museum is open Monday through Friday, 1- 4 p.m., during regular university sessions. Visits for groups or interested individuals can be scheduled for any morning (Monday-Saturday), night (Monday-Thursday), or afternoon (Sunday), or during breaks between regular sessions, by contacting Dr. S.K. Airee, director, 901-881-7454, or 881-7464.

Office of Campus Recreation

Committed to recreation and fitness as components of a balanced lifestyle, UT Martin's Office of Campus Recreation offers a wide variety of recreational and competitive programs for our students, staff, faculty, and community. Active participation is the general aim of the program with emphasis given to such basic needs as relaxing, belonging and achieving, as they relate to good health and fitness. Campus Recreation offers programs in intramural sports, individual and dual sports, leisure activities, aquatics, outdoor recreation and adventure, fitness, sports clubs and a host of special events. Indoor recreational facilities include an Olympic indoor swimming pool, seven racquetball courts, a running/walking track, weight room, and Skyhawk Arena, which contains six basketball, volleyball, and tennis court combinations. The outdoor facilities include a 1.5 mile fitness trail, 16 tennis courts, a soccer field and the lighted intramural playing fields. There are also several opportunities for student employment in Campus Recreation. The jobs available would include sports officiating, lifeguarding, and various recreation and facility management positions. For additional information about the Office of Campus Recreation, please call 901-881-7745 or view our Web site at http://www.utm/stuorg/camprec/camprec.htm.