Undergraduate Admission Procedures and Requirements

The University of Tennessee at Martin

Undergraduate Admission Procedures and Requirements

Steps in Applying for Admission (Beginners and Transfers)

1. Complete the application for admission and forward to the Admissions Office (Room 210, Administration Building, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee 38238).

2. Enclose a $25 non-refundable application fee with application.

3. First-time freshmen must have a copy of ACT scores forwarded to the Admissions Office (may be on high school transcript).*

4. Forward a high school transcript to the Admissions Office (including courses taken during senior year). Transfer students must have transcripts forwarded from each institution attended including high school.

5. Upon graduation, request that a final high school transcript be sent to the Admissions Office.

*Not required if applicant has been out of high school for three years or longer.

Advanced Placement and College Level Placement Examinations

A qualified applicant may earn credit by proficiency examination upon the recommendation of the dean of his/her school and the approval of the registrar. The exam must be taken prior to the last thirty (30) hours at UT Martin and a minimum grade of B scored. A recording fee of $30 is required.

An applicant may gain credit hours through Advanced Placement and/or College Level Examination (CLEP) administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Applicants who score 3, 4 or 5 on Advanced Placement may receive credit for the introductory sequence in a course (up to eight semester hours). Applicants who score at or above the minimum score established by the university for credit in the College Level Examination Program will be awarded the amount of credit for general and subject exams as set by the university. In order to receive credit by CLEP for a specific course, a student need not register for that course. CLEP General Examinations must be taken within the first thirty (30) hours at a university/college. CLEP Subject Examinations must be taken prior to the last thirty (30) hours at UT Martin. Details on tests and testing dates are available from the Testing Center in the Office of Student Academic Support located in Clement Hall, Room 210 or 211. Students will receive a grade of "P" in these classes.

A qualified applicant may earn a maximum of 30 semester hours credit by examination.

Types of Admission

Regular Admission

Graduates from high schools with state accreditation may enter UT Martin with regular admission status by meeting one of the following criteria:

1. a composite score of 19 or above on the American College Test (ACT) and a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.25 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR

2. a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale (A=4.0) and an ACT composite score of 16 or above.

Graduates from high schools without state accreditation or home school graduates must meet one of the following criteria:

1. a composite score of 19 or above on the American College Test (ACT) and a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR

2. a minimum score of 50 on the GED.

An applicant 18 years of age or over who has not graduated from high school may be admitted to the university upon passing the General Educational Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above. The applicant’s high school class must have graduated. Students must request their official test results be sent to UT Martin in addition to a transcript of any high school work completed. A student entering on the basis of a GED will be assessed and placed in the appropriate course(s) relative to his/her needs to include high school unit requirements.

An ACT score is not required if the applicant has been out of high school three years or longer. See Non-Traditional Adult Admission later in this section.

The following high school courses are also required for anyone who graduated from high school in 1993 or later. Applicants from high schools which did not offer the course(s) needed to fulfill one or more entrance requirements may be admitted but must remove any deficiencies beginning with the first semester enrolled and each succeeding semester until all deficiencies are removed. All deficiencies must be removed during the first two academic years of study or 60 semester hours (whichever comes first). Applicants who graduated from high school three or more years ago are exempt. (See Non-Traditional Admission later in this section.)

Unit Requirements

English 4 units
Algebra I and II 2 units
Advanced Mathematics 1 unit of geometry, trigonometry, calculus, or advanced mathematics
Natural/Physical Sciences 2 units; 1 must be a course in biology, chemistry, or physics
U.S. History 1 unit
Social Studies 1 unit of world history, European history, or world geography (may be fulfilled by completing 2 one-half units)
Foreign Language* 2 units in same language
Visual/Performing Arts 1 unit of theatre arts, visual arts, music theory, music history, vocal music, general music, instrumental music, or art history
* Waived for resident aliens if it is determined that English is their second language.

Non-Traditional Adult Admission

Any applicant who has been graduated from high school for three (3) years or longer (non-traditional applicant) and has completed less than 12 hours of college-level coursework will receive Regular Admission if the applicant has a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale. Although American College Test (ACT) scores are not required for non-traditional applicants, a high school graduate will also receive Regular Admission with a composite score of 19 or above on the ACT.

A non-traditional applicant who has not graduated from high school may be granted Regular Admission upon passing the General Education Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above.

An applicant who does not meet the requirements for Regular Admission is eligible for Conditional Admission if the applicant is a high school graduate with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above. Applicants may also be admitted with an ACT of 14 or above, or a GED score of 45-49.

The high school unit requirements and ACT test scores are not required for non-traditional applicants, but see information regarding the American history baccalaureate degree requirement under the section, General Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree.

Conditional Admission

A limited number of applicants who cannot meet the ACT and GPA requirements for Regular Admission will be considered for admission with Conditional Admission status. In order for an applicant to be considered for Conditional Admission status, he/she must meet one of the following criteria:

1. a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or above and a composite score of 14 or above on the American College Test (ACT), OR

2. an ACT Composite score of 19 or above, OR

3. a cumulative high school GPA of 2.60 or above, OR

4. pass the General Education Development Test (GED) with a score of 45-49.

High school graduates are also required to have the 14 high school units listed on the previous page.

Early Admission

A student who has completed the junior year of high school with a minimum 3.50 grade point average and a composite ACT score of at least 26 may be enrolled in the university with recommendation from his/her principal/counselor, the consent of his/her parents, and the director of admissions. Deficiencies in high school unit requirements will be waived.

Concurrent/Dual Admission

A student who has completed one semester in an accredited high school may be concurrently enrolled in the university for no more than six semester hours per term if he/she has a minimum 3.00 grade point average and the consent of his/her principal/counselor, parents and the director of admissions. A student admitted concurrently must meet the high school unit requirements to enroll as a regular student after high school graduation.

Special Admission (Non-degree)

An applicant who is 18 years of age and whose high school class has graduated may be enrolled in classes as a special student if he/she is not seeking a degree from the university. Anyone denied degree-seeking status must wait a minimum of one full year before applying for Special Admission. A student who has previously been enrolled in the university as a regular student may not be readmitted as a special student unless he/she has already earned a bachelor’s degree. In this case, he/she will be enrolled as a Post Baccalaureate student.

Special Admission students may accumulate a maximum of 60 semester hours (including previous college work) in this manner. They may convert at any time to a degree-seeking status if they meet the ACT/HSGPA requirements in place at the time of conversion. Students who cannot meet those requirements may convert, with the approval of their academic advisor, after completing a minimum of 15 college-level semester hours at UT Martin with a cumulative UT Martin GPA of 2.00 or better. Upon conversion, students must remove all high school unit requirements that have not been satisfied, either in high school or through completion of the appropriate college courses.

Transfer Admission

Transfer students—those who have completed a minimum of 12 college-level quarter/semester hours prior to enrollment at UT Martin–must have a 2.00 cumulative GPA to be admitted to the university.

A transfer student with junior standing (minimum 60 semester hours) at the receiving institution is exempt from meeting the high school unit requirements. Transfer students with less than 60 semester hours, who graduated from high school after 1988, are required to have the high school units in effect at the time they graduated. A transfer student may be admitted with deficiencies, but deficiencies must be removed within the deadline specified earlier in this section (see Regular Admission). Exception: the deadline will be extended until a transfer student has attempted 30 semester hours at UT Martin. The student must take the prescribed course(s) for removal of deficiency (deficiencies) each semester of enrollment, beginning with the first semester, until all deficiencies are removed. A transcript from each former institution along with the high school transcript must be presented for evaluation, even if no credit was earned. All passing grades are accepted for transfer. To earn a University of Tennessee degree, an applicant from a junior/community college must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours toward a degree in an accredited four-year school. The last 30 semester hours (minimum of two semesters) must be completed at UT Martin. To qualify for honors graduation (see Honors and Awards), a transfer student must complete at least four semesters (60 semester hours minimum) in The University of Tennessee system.

Transfer students who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may apply for the Academic Fresh Start Policy described later in this section.

Transient Students--Any transfer student who meets admissions standards but who is enrolling for one semester only, usually the summer semester, will be classified as a transient student. A statement of academic good standing is required from the former institution. Should the student decide to remain for a longer period, he/she will be required to meet all university admission requirements, which includes having transcripts of previous college work mailed to the Admissions Office.


Students who have previously attended UT Martin must complete a new application for admission but are not required to pay the application fee. Students who have attended another college(s) since enrollment at UT Martin must have a transcript(s) forwarded to the Admissions Office.

A readmitted student must meet the high school unit requirements effective at the time of his/her first enrollment.

Academic Fresh Start

Undergraduate students (all categories) who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may obtain entrance through the Academic Fresh Start Policy. The request must be submitted in writing to the Admissions Office prior to the term for which the Academic Fresh Start is requested. Students who transfer directly to UT Martin after attending another college or university within the last four years will still be eligible if they were granted a "fresh start" from the transferring institution. The policy will apply to grades received prior to the fresh start granted by the transferring institution.

This policy means that any previous coursework in which the student received a grade below C will not be computed in subsequent calculations of grade point average. These grades will, however, remain on the student’s transcript. Credit toward graduation will be disallowed for course grades not included in cumulative average, but this work will be included in calculations for consideration for honors graduation. A student may be admitted under the policy only one time; this admission cannot be annulled. Anyone admitted under this policy may not graduate under a catalog in existence prior to the year in which an academic fresh start was granted.

International Students

To apply for admission to UT Martin, each international student will be required to provide the following to the Office of International Programs, Gooch Hall, Room 144, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee 38238:

1. A completed application for undergraduate admission.

2. A draft or money order for the non-refundable $50.00 application fee and postage/handling charges.

3. Authenticated copies of academic records. These records must describe the courses of instruction in terms of years spent in school, types of subject matter covered, and the grades earned in each course (or subject). These records must also give the date of graduation and the type of diploma/certificate issued.

4. Evidence of English proficiency indicated by a minimum score of 500 (paper test) or 173 (computer test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or completion of Level 6 in the Intensive English Program is required in all curricula. The test results should be sent to the Admissions Office by the Educational Testing Service or by the student. Upon arrival on the campus, all degree-seeking international students and resident aliens must enroll in the appropriate English Composition course and remain enrolled each semester in the appropriate course until the student has successfully completed English 112 or its equivalent. For further details, see "Placement of International Students" in the Department of English section.

5. A signed statement as to the student’s financial status and sponsorship in the United States. Federal financial aid is not available to international students. A deposit may be required prior to issuance of immigration forms.

6. A student applying for transfer admission from any institution of higher learning outside his/her home country must present the I-20 issued by UT Martin to the transferring institution for approval and completion of the transfer process. Also each applicant for transfer admission to UT Martin is required to submit a Transfer Social Eligibility Form to the Foreign Student Advisor at the last college or university attended.

7. Only one I-20 will be issued for each admission. If the student does not enroll for the specified term, the I-20 must be returned before a second is issued.

Residency Regulations

It is the intent that the public institutions of higher education in the State of Tennessee shall apply uniform rules, as described in these regulations and not otherwise, in determining whether students shall be classified as in-state or out-of-state students for fees and tuition purposes.

Rules for Determination of Status

1. Every person having his/her domicile in this state shall be classified "in-state" for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.

2. Every person not having his/her domicile in this state shall be classified "out-of-state" for said purposes.

3. The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of his/her parent.

4. The domicile of a married person shall be determined independent of the domicile of the spouse.

5. The spouse of a student classified as "in-state" shall also be classified in-state.

Out-of-state Students Who Are Not Required to Pay Out-of-state Tuition

1. An unemancipated, currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should his/her parent, having therefore been domiciled in the state, move from the state. However, such a student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be treated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his/her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.

2. An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this state but is a member of the Armed Forces and stationed in this state or at Fort Campbell (Kentucky) pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he/she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his/her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders.

3. Students whose domiciles are in Hickman, Fulton and Graves counties in Kentucky, can attend UT Martin without payment of out-of-state tuition but will be classified as Non-Residents for admission purposes.

4. Part-time students who are not domiciled in this state but who reside in this state and are employed full-time in the state, or who are stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders, shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. (Part-time students are those who enroll for less than 12 semester hours).

5. Military personnel and their spouses stationed in the State of Tennessee who would be classified out-of-state in accordance with other provisions of these regulations will be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This provision shall not apply to military personnel and their spouses who are stationed in this state primarily for educational purposes.


Unless the contrary appears from clear and convincing evidence, it shall be presumed that an emancipated person does not acquire domicile in this state while enrolled as a full-time student at any public or private higher educational institution in this state, as such status is defined by such institution.


All resident classifications shall be made by the director of admissions at each institution in accordance with these regulations. The decision of the director of admissions may be appealed to the Committee on Residency Classifications at UT Martin, which shall, after granting a hearing and fully considering the merits of each case, recommend the appropriate resident classification of the student to the chancellor, who shall then classify the student. The decision of the chancellor may be appealed to the president of the university and his/her decision may be appealed to the university Board of Trustees. For additional information contact the director of admissions.

Orientation and Enrollment

To ease the transition from high school to college, UT Martin offers students an opportunity to participate in a two-phase orientation. Summer Orientation and Registration (SOAR) programs begin in April and continue throughout the summer. Students who attend SOAR will take placement tests, meet with an advisor and register for classes. Parents will also be involved in information sessions during the one-and one-half-day program.

The second phase of orientation is the traditional Freshman Studies program. Freshman Studies will be offered to new students four days prior to fall semester through the Division of Student Affairs. A faculty member with the assistance of an upperclass peer counselor conducts a credit course on how to study effectively. Weekly meetings with the faculty counselor continue during the fall semester. Information about the program will be mailed to all students who apply for admission.

A health history form will be provided prior to registration and should be returned to the Student Health Office upon enrollment.

Each student is required to have an identification card with a photograph and Social Security Number issued from the university at the time of enrollment.

Mandatory Placement

Because students must acquire both hours toward graduation and a minimum grade point average of 2.00, it is essential to take courses for which they have adequate preparation. For this reason, UT Martin provides placement information to identify the best starting point for first-year students. Following placement recommendations allows students to begin where they are likely to do well. Disregarding placement recommendations often leads to failure.

Placement in one or more developmental courses is mandatory for students with ACT composite scores less than 20 whose placement results show they need to enroll in any of the following courses: English 080 or 090, Math 070 or 080, and/or Reading 080. Students who do not have ACT scores must take the university’s placement tests in English, math, and reading and follow placement results. International students must comply with the additional English proficiency requirements listed under item 4 of the requirements for admission as an international student (see admission requirement information earlier in this section).

Students must complete all required developmental courses during the first two years of academic study or 60 semester hours, whichever comes first. Exception: Enrollment in a developmental English or math course is optional for transfer students (i.e., anyone who completed 12 or more college-level credit hours prior to first-time enrollment at UT Martin) if they have already passed a college-level course in that discipline. Enrollment in a reading course is also optional.

Selective Service

All students must complete the Selective Service Draft Registration statement as a part of admission to UT Martin.

Academic Advising

UT Martin provides academic advisement to all regularly enrolled students. See the section on the Office of Student Academic Support for the special services they offer.

The objectives of the university advisement program are:

1. to provide students with information on policies, procedures and programs of the university

2. to assist students in exploring educational and career opportunities

3. to assist students in establishing life goals

4. to assist students with the development of an educational plan of study and the selection of courses

5. to make students aware of the range of services and educational opportunities pertinent to their educational objectives at this university.

The vice chancellor for academic affairs is responsible for the academic advisement program which is based upon a system of policies, procedures, publications, personnel and services that are adopted on a university wide basis. The deans of the individual colleges are accountable to the vice chancellor for academic affairs for the effectiveness of the advisement programs within each college. Deans of each college are responsible for implementing the academic advising system which is determined as being most effective in meeting the advising needs of the students within each college. Academic deans are responsible for the maintenance of advising files for all students enrolled in each college and for ensuring that advisors have accurate information for each new advisee assigned. Advising records available to all advisors should include the following: ACT and/or SAT student profile reports, campus placement scores, TOEFL scores (if appropriate), admission confirmation and transfer evaluation forms, academic planning worksheet, academic progress information, record of referrals to other student services and academic advising agreement. Academic deans see that files are promptly forwarded to the appropriate office or advisor when students change colleges, majors or advisors.

In support of the academic advising program, the university shall:

1. provide advisors with current and accurate information related to student educational preparations and progress

2. provide advisors with an Advising Handbook containing annually updated information related to policies, procedures, programs and services

3. provide advisors with appropriate training in academic advising

4. periodically evaluate the effectiveness of the advisement program and individual advisors using an evaluation instrument approved by the Faculty Senate and coordinated by the Division of Academic Affairs

5. consider academic advising in tenure, promotion and merit decisions

6. inform students of the advising and counseling services at UT Martin and stress the importance of academic advising.

Academic Overload

Students may enroll during the fall and spring semesters for a maximum of 20 credit hours with their advisor’s approval (8 hours during each summer term). The dean’s approval must be obtained in order to register for a larger number of credit hours.

Probationary students may not register for more than 16 credit hours per semester or 8 credit hours per summer term without the written approval of the appropriate college dean.