Student Development and Services

The University provides a number of services which assist the student in his/her daily living.

Boling University Center
Student Supply Store
Student Health Services
Margaret N. Perry Children's Center
The Paul Meek Library
Computer Services
Counseling and Career Services
Student Employment
Job Search Services
Senior/Alumni Employment Information Services
Cooperative Education Program
PEP (The Peer Enabling Program), SOAR and Freshman Studies
Services for Students with Disabilities
Student Academic Support
Study Skills
Automobile Regulations for Student Vehicles
Veteran Services
Student Life
More Fine and Performing Arts Opportunities
University Museum
Intercollegiate Athletics
Office of Campus Recreation
Opportunities in ROTC
Opportunities to Work on Student Publications

UT Martin's Computer Services

UT Martin's Office of Computer Services, located in Crisp Hall, provides computing facilities and services for research, instruction and administrative computing. Campus facilities include a Sun ES 5000 server, some additional Sun server computers, and several computer laboratories containing a total of 185 microcomputers. All microcomputers are attached to the campus network, which provides online access to the campus facilities and to most of the central computers at the University of Tennessee. The office's electronic communication network is connected to the Internet. Administrative computing is accomplished through a combination of the campus's Sun servers and the central computers in Knoxville. All residence hall rooms and campus apartments have ports for connection to the Internet. The office also operates a campus computer store, a computer repair service, telephone technical services, copier maintenance service and a cable television system.

UT Martinís Counseling and Career Services

Counseling Services are available to all enrolled students. Included are:

  1. personal counseling services
  2. career services
  3. freshman counseling coordination
  4. the Peer Enabling Program (PEP)

This office provides a broad range of services for students with academic, vocational and personal concerns, in addition to maintaining an open-door policy to assist students whenever possible.

No fees are charged to the student for counseling and/or consultation. Nominal fees may be required for evaluation and some workshops and seminars. If indicated and appropriate, a referral may be suggested.

All services and records are treated in strict confidence as governed by professional codes, ethics and relevant state and federal statutes. Information may be released to others, however, upon the student's specific written authorization. The counseling office is located in 213 Boling University Center. For additional information call 731-881-7720.

Career Counseling

The Office of Career Planning & Development, located in 210 Boling University Center, assists students, prospective students and alumni with career decisions. Assessments are available to identify occupations which best fit an individual's aptitude, interests and values. Counseling is available regarding major and career exploration. Career exploration classes are offered for academic credit during the fall and spring semesters. Additional information is available through the website,

Student Employment

On-campus part-time positions are posted here: Off-campus positions are posted in Handshake, accessible via the MY UTMARTIN portal. For assistance in pursuing opportunities, call 731-881-7712.

Job Search Services

Career coaching is available to help students identify internship and job opportunities as well as strategically and purposefully pursue them through effective and modern methods. Services include resume and cover letter critique, mock interviews, networking and personal branding strategies, on-campus interviews, career fairs, job board, etc. Services are free to alumni. For additional information call 731-881-7712.

Senior/Alumni Employment Information Services

Employment Information Services provides assistance to degree candidates and alumni in securing professional employment. The services are free and available year-round. Candidates for degrees are encouraged to set up a graduate file early in their senior year to take advantage of the various employment services offered. For additional information, call 731-881-7740.

PEP (The Peer Enabling Program), SOAR and Freshman Studies

The Peer Enabling Program (PEP) is a three-phase program designed to assist each UT Martin freshman with the transition to campus life. The first phase of the orientation process is SOAR, Summer Orientation and Registration. During SOAR prospective students will take placement tests, meet with academic advisors, register for classes, tour the campus and receive information about student activities, housing, and financial aid. There are four SOAR sessions throughout the spring and summer.

The second part of PEP is the Freshman Studies Program. Freshman Studies has two very important parts consisting of Freshman Orientation Week, which begins one week prior to classes in the fall, and Freshman Studies Classes which are taught once a week for the first 10 weeks of the fall semester. All incoming freshmen are encouraged to take part in the Freshman Studies Program. During Freshman Orientation Week students are divided into groups of approximately 25 and each group has an assigned faculty counselor and two student peer leaders (PEP leaders) to lead the groups. Much effort is given to matching students in groups according to their academic interest. It is during this week that students will learn more about the campus and the available campus services. It is an action-packed week filled with learning, fun, and friendships. In the Freshman Studies Class each PEP group takes a more in-depth look at developing positive study habits along with continuing to build upon their knowledge of UT Martin.

The third phase of the Peer Enabling Program is the counseling phase. Each PEP leader is assigned 10 to 12 students from their original PEP group for the duration of the academic year. It is the job of the PEP leader to develop a positive relationship with each student and to conduct a series of counseling sessions with each student of his or her group. These counseling sessions take place a minimum of four times during the academic year, two sessions in the fall semester and two sessions in the spring semester. The intent of the counseling phase of the PEP program is to systematically gauge the progress of the freshman student and to intervene in a positive way when needed.

Services for Students with Disabilities

It is the policy of the university to provide reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments and auxiliary aids) to assist students with disabilities in negotiating the university system. PACE (Program Access for College Enhancement) serves students with learning disabilities and ADD. For additional information on the PACE Program, call 731-881-7195. For additional information on services to students with all other disabilities, call the director in the Office of Student Academic Support at 731-881-7744. Also see the university's 504/ADA statement listed in the front of this catalog.

Student Academic Support

UT Martin coordinates its learning support activities through the Office of Student Academic Support. Help for students begins with placement tests, which students take during orientation. The tests help advisors know students' appropriate beginning levels. One test may show, for example, that students need greater reading skills; they may choose to take a reading course which will help them deal with the increased size and difficulty of the college reading load.

Once in classes, students will find a range of available aid. They may get drop-in help for writing needs in the Writing Center, Andy Holt Humanities 209. A Math Lab operates on the fourth floor of the Andy Holt Humanities Building on Monday through Thursday evenings and in the Humanities Building basement during the day. Students often want to learn how to manage their time effectively, how to succeed in a particular course, or how to prepare for a particular examination. To learn what labs, courses, tutoring, printed and computer materials, and counseling UT Martin offers, students may inquire at the Office of Student Academic Support, Clement Hall 206-210, or may call 731-881-7744.

The CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) and GED (General Education Development) tests are administered in the Office of Student Academic Support. The GED is provided weekly, by appointment. Computer-based testing is available for GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, PRAXIS, NBPME, CBSAT (Talent Search) and NBPTS by appointment or drop-in basis. For more testing information, contact the Testing Center in the Office of Student Academic Support, Clement Hall, Room 210 or 211, or call 731-881-7744.

Study Skills

UT Martin Study Skills, located in rooms 206-210 of Clement Hall (731-881-7744), offers students help with time management, note taking, and other study skills related to academic performance. Films, tapes, written materials and individual counseling are all available resources.

Automobile Regulations for Student Vehicles

Students who operate vehicles on campus are required to register their vehicles with the Office of Public Safety at registration time. Students are expected to operate their vehicles under the regulations in the current Parking and Traffic Regulations issued at the time of their registration. Vehicles brought to campus after registration must be registered within 24 hours. A vehicle registration decal showing that the car has been registered is provided at a fee of $20 per year and is to be displayed on the left side of the front and rear windshield. If the bumpers are chrome, place the decals on the driver's front and rear bumper. Disabled students will be given special consideration upon recommendation of the university physician.

Veterans Service

The University of Tennessee at Martin is fully approved by the State Approving Agency to provide training under the Vocational Rehabilitation and War Orphans' Assistance programs, the Veterans Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966, and the Veterans Educational Assistance Program.

Counseling service for veterans is available at the Office of Student Financial Assistance in room 205 of the Hall-Moody Administration Building. All students planning to enter under provisions of a veterans' educational program are urged to apply to the appropriate agency for necessary authorization well in advance of their registration date. Ten semester hours of credit will be given to students with DD214 or DD295s that show successful completion of basic training. Military schooling may not duplicate these 10 semester hours of credit. The ACE Guide is used in awarding credits for military schools. Official transcripts must be sent from the serviceperson's education office (AARTS or SMARTS transcripts are recommended) in order to receive military credit. Up to 30 semester hours of military and/or examination credit may be applied toward degree requirements.

UT Martin will certify only those courses which are included in the major field of study selected by the student; certification of "elective courses" will be limited to the number of elective hours permitted in the designated major. Electives must be selected from the academic areas prescribed in the college catalog for each specified major.

The student receiving benefits must show evidence of making "satisfactory" progress toward his/her educational objective, as defined in the college catalog. Class attendance will be a major factor in determining satisfactory academic progress.

Certification will not be allowed for any course(s) previously passed (D or above) or any course(s) designated as "incomplete." An "F" can only be repeated when it is required in the veteran's designated major.

For more information, contact 731-881-7031.

Student Life

UT Martin offers many opportunities to get involved in the total collegiate experience. Student organizations represent a variety of interests. There are professional societies and fraternities, curriculum-related clubs and organizations, service organizations, and social sororities and fraternities. UT Martin offers an active campus recreation program including intramural sports, fitness and leisure, and outdoor recreation opportunities. For more information, please call the Office of Student Life at 731-881-7525 or view the Student Life Web site at

University Museum

The University Museum provides exciting and stimulating educational experiences for UT Martin students, area school children and the general public. Programming includes featured traveling and indigenous exhibits in addition to continuous displays. The exhibits are presented in the museum located in the Holland McCombs Center and Archives situated between Gooch Hall and the Hall-Moody Administration Building on University Street.

The museum is open Monday through Friday, 1- 4 p.m., during regular university sessions. Visits for groups or interested individuals can be scheduled for any morning (Monday-Saturday), night (Monday-Thursday), or afternoon (Sunday), or during breaks between regular sessions, by contacting Dr. S.K. Airee, director, 731-881-7454, or 881-7464.

Office of Campus Recreation

Committed to recreation and fitness as components of a balanced lifestyle, UT Martin's Office of Campus Recreation offers a wide variety of recreational and competitive programs for students, staff, faculty, and the community. Active participation is the general aim of the program with emphasis given to such basic needs as relaxing, belonging and achieving, as they relate to good health and fitness. Campus Recreation offers programs in intramural sports, individual and dual sports, leisure activities, aquatics, outdoor recreation and adventure, fitness, sports clubs and a host of special events. Indoor recreational facilities include an Olympic indoor swimming pool, seven racquetball courts, a running/walking track, weight room, and Skyhawk Arena, which contains six basketball, volleyball, and tennis court combinations. The outdoor facilities include a 1.5 mile fitness trail, 16 tennis courts, a soccer field and the lighted intramural playing fields. There are also several opportunities for student employment in Campus Recreation. The jobs available include sports officiating, lifeguarding, and various recreation and facility management positions. For additional information about the Office of Campus Recreation, call 731-881-7745 or view the office's Web site at and click on "students."