Types of Admission

Regular Admission

Graduates from high schools with state accreditation may enter UT Martin with regular admission status by meeting one of the following criteria:

  1. ACT Composite score of 20 or above and a cumulative GPA of 2.40 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR
  2. ACT Composite of 17 or above and a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above on a 4.0 scale.

Graduates from high schools without state accreditation or home school graduates must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. a composite score of 19 or above on the American College Test (ACT) and a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR
  2. a minimum score of 50 on the GED.

An applicant 18 years of age or over who has not graduated from high school may be admitted to the university upon passing the General Educational Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above. The applicant's high school class must have graduated. Students must request their official test results be sent to UT Martin in addition to a transcript of any high school work completed. A student entering on the basis of a GED will be assessed and placed in the appropriate course(s) relative to his/her needs to include high school unit requirements.

An ACT score is not required if the applicant has been out of high school three years or longer. See Non-Traditional Adult Admission later in this section.

Applicants must have successfully completed the required 14 unit requirements listed below. Applicants from high schools which did not offer the course(s) needed to fulfill one or more entrance requirements may be admitted but must remove any deficiencies beginning with the first semester enrolled and each succeeding semester until all deficiencies are removed. All deficiencies must be removed during the first two academic years of study or 60 semester hours (whichever comes first). Applicants who graduated from high school three or more years ago are exempt. (See Non-Traditional Admission later in this section).

Unit Requirements
  • English (4 units)
  • Algebra I and II (2 units)
  • Advanced Mathematics (1 unit of geometry, trigonometry, calculus, or advanced mathematics)
  • Natural/Physical Sciences (2 units; 1 must be a course in biology, chemistry, or physics)
  • U.S. History (1 unit)
  • Social Studies (1 unit of world history, European history, or world geography (may be fulfilled by completing 2 one-half units))
  • Foreign Language* (2 units in same language)
  • Visual/Performing Arts (1 unit of theatre arts, visual arts, music theory, music history, vocal music, general music, instrumental music, or art history)

* Waived for resident aliens if it is determined that English is their second language.

Non-Traditional Adult Admission

Any applicant who has been graduated from high school for three (3) years or longer (non-traditional applicant) and has completed less than 12 hours of college-level coursework will receive Regular Admission if the applicant has a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale. Although American College Test (ACT) scores are not required for non-traditional applicants, a high school graduate will also receive Regular Admission with a composite score of 19 or above on the ACT.

A non-traditional applicant who has not graduated from high school may be granted Regular Admission upon passing the General Education Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above.

An applicant who does not meet the requirements for Regular Admission is eligible for Conditional Admission if the applicant is a high school graduate with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above. Applicants may also be admitted with an ACT of 14 or above, or a GED score of 45-49.

The high school unit requirements and ACT test scores are not required for non-traditional applicants, but see information regarding the American history baccalaureate degree requirement under the section, General Requirements for a Bachelor's Degree.

Conditional Admission

Through Summer 2003 admission

A limited number of applicants who do not meet regular admission requirements will be considered for admission with Conditional Admission status. The transcripts of these applicants will be reviewed individually to assess their course-taking patterns. Applicants will be asked to submit letters of recommendation to address leadership qualities, extracurricular activities, community service, work history and other traits that will be considered in the application process.

Students admitted with Conditional Admission status must take placement tests prior to freshman registration and will be placed in specific developmental courses if appropriate.

Early Admission

A student who has completed the junior year of high school with a minimum 3.50 grade point average and a composite ACT score of at least 26 may be enrolled in the university with recommendation from his/her principal/counselor, the consent of his/her parents, and the director of admissions. Deficiencies in high school unit requirements will be waived.

Concurrent/Dual Admission

A student who has completed one semester in an accredited high school may be concurrently enrolled in the university for no more than six semester hours per term if he/she has a minimum 3.00 grade point average and the consent of his/her principal/counselor, parents and the director of admissions. A student admitted concurrently must meet the high school unit requirements to enroll as a regular student after high school graduation.

Special Admission (Non-degree)

An applicant who is 18 years of age and whose high school class has graduated may be enrolled in classes as a special student if he/she is not seeking a degree from the university. Anyone denied degree-seeking status must wait a minimum of one full year before applying for Special Admission. A student who has previously been enrolled in the university as a regular student may not be readmitted as a special student unless he/she has already earned a bachelor's degree. In this case, he/she will be enrolled as a Post Baccalaureate student.

Special Admission students may accumulate a maximum of 60 semester hours (including previous college work) in this manner. They may convert at any time to a degree-seeking status if they meet the ACT/HSGPA requirements in place at the time of conversion. Students who cannot meet those requirements may convert, with the approval of their academic advisor, after completing a minimum of 15 college-level semester hours at UT Martin with a cumulative UT Martin GPA of 2.00 or better. Upon conversion, students must remove all high school unit requirements that have not been satisfied, either in high school or through completion of the appropriate college courses.

Transfer Admission

Transfer students-those who have completed a minimum of 12 college-level quarter/semester hours prior to enrollment at UT Martin-must have a 2.00 GPA to be admitted to the university. If a student has not attended college for a semester or longer (excluding summer semester), the student may be admitted on probation at the discretion of the Director of Admissions.

A transfer student with junior standing (minimum 60 semester hours) at the receiving institution is exempt from meeting the high school unit requirements. Transfer students with less than 60 semester hours, who graduated from high school after 1988, are required to have the high school units in effect at the time they graduated. A transfer student may be admitted with deficiencies, but deficiencies must be removed within the deadline specified earlier in this section (see Regular Admission). Exception: the deadline will be extended until a transfer student has attempted 30 semester hours at UT Martin. The student must take the prescribed course(s) for removal of deficiency (deficiencies) each semester of enrollment, beginning with the first semester, until all deficiencies are removed.

A transcript from each former institution along with the high school transcript must be presented for evaluation, even if no credit was earned. All courses from an accredited college are accepted for transfer; however, they may not all count toward a degree. Once all transcripts have been received and the grades posted to the UT Martin transcript, the student will be issued a transfer evaluation listing the UT Martin course number for equivalent courses or designating LD for lower division credit and UD for upper division credit if no equivalent course exists. LD and UD credits may be applied toward degree requirements not designating specific courses (e.g., Art LD could fulfill a humanities course requirement or a general elective). The student's academic advisor will use the transfer evaluation to conduct an initial degree audit to identify how each of the transferred courses may be used to satisfy specific degree reuirements.

Students wishing to appeal the evaluation of any transferred courses should contact the registrar to request reevaluation of those courses. Students may be asked to provide a copy of the course description and syllabus from the original institution. The registrar may consult the department chair for the involved discipline and the assistant vice chancellor for academic affairs regarding the final designation of the course. Students wishing to further appeal the results of the transfer evaluation should follow the Degree Appeals (Special Request) process outlined in the catalog.

To earn a University of Tennessee degree, an applicant from a junior/community college must complete a minimum of 60 semester hours toward a degree in an accredited four-year school. The last 30 semester hours (minimum of two semesters) and at least 25% of the student's degree must be completed at UT Martin. To qualify for honors graduation (see Honors and Awards), a transfer student must complete at least four semesters (60 semester hours minimum) in The University of Tennessee system.

Transfer students who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may apply for the Academic Fresh Start Policy described later in this section.

Transient Students

Any transfer student who meets admissions standards but who is enrolling for one semester only, usually the summer semester, will be classified as a transient student. A statement of academic good standing is required from the former institution. Should the student decide to remain for a longer period, he/she will be required to meet all university admission requirements, which includes having transcripts of previous college work mailed to the Admissions Office.


Students who have previously attended UT Martin must complete a new application for admission but are not required to pay the application fee. Students who have attended another college(s) since enrollment at UT Martin must have a transcript(s) forwarded to the Admissions Office.

A readmitted student must meet the high school unit requirements effective at the time of his/her first enrollment.

Academic Fresh Start

Undergraduate students (all categories) who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may obtain entrance through the Academic Fresh Start Policy. The request must be submitted in writing to the Admissions Office prior to the term for which the Academic Fresh Start is requested. Students who transfer directly to UT Martin after attending another college or university within the last four years will still be eligible if they were granted a "fresh start" from the transferring institution. The policy will apply to grades received prior to the fresh start granted by the transferring institution.

This policy means that any previous coursework in which the student received a grade below C will not be computed in subsequent calculations of grade point average. These grades will, however, remain on the student's transcript. Credit toward graduation will be disallowed for course grades not included in the cumulative average, but this work will be included in calculations for consideration for honors graduation. A student may be admitted under the policy only one time; this admission cannot be annulled. Anyone admitted under this policy may not graduate under a catalog in existence prior to the year in which an academic fresh start was granted.

International Admissions

To apply for admission to UT Martin, each international student will be required to provide the following to the Office of International Programs, Gooch Hall, Room 144, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee 38238:

  1. A completed application for undergraduate admission.
  2. A draft or money order for the non-refundable $50.00 application fee and postage/handling charges.
  3. Authenticated copies of academic records. These records must describe the courses of instruction in terms of years spent in school, types of subject matter covered, and the grades earned in each course (or subject). These records must also give the date of graduation and the type of diploma/certificate issued.
  4. Evidence of English proficiency indicated by a minimum score of 500 (paper test) or 173 (computer test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or completion of Level 6 in the Intensive English Program is required in all curricula. The test results should be sent to the Admissions Office by the Educational Testing Service. Upon arrival on the campus or after successful completion of the university intensive English program, all degree-seeking international students and resident aliens must enroll in the appropriate English Composition course and remain enrolled each semester in the appropriate course until the student has successfully completed English 112 or its equivalent. For further details, see "Placement of International Students" in the Department of English section.
  5. A signed statement as to the student's financial status and sponsorship in the United States. Federal financial aid is not available to international students. A deposit may be required prior to issuance of immigration forms.
  6. A student applying for transfer admission from any institution of higher learning outside his/her home country must present the I-20 issued by UT Martin to the transferring institution for approval and completion of the transfer process. Also, each applicant for transfer admission to UT Martin is required to submit a Transfer Social Eligibility Form to the Foreign Student Advisor at the last college or university attended and to submit the required TOEFL results.
  7. Only one I-20 will be issued for each admission. If the student does not enroll for the specified term, the I-20 must be returned before a second is issued.

[ back to the table of contents ]