1. Complete the application for admission and forward to the Admissions Office (Room 210, Administration Building, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee 38238).

2. Enclose a $25 non-refundable application fee with application.

3. First time freshmen must have a copy of ACT scores forwarded to the Admissions Office (may be on high school transcript).*

4. Have a high school transcript forwarded to the Admissions Office (including courses taken during senior year). Transfer students must have transcripts forwarded from each institution attended including high school.

5. Upon graduation, request that a final high school transcript be sent to the Admissions Office.

*Not required if applicant has been out of high school for three years or longer.


A qualified applicant may earn credit by proficiency examination upon the recommendation of the dean of his/her school and the approval of the Registrar. The exam must be taken prior to the last thirty (30) hours at UT Martin and a minimum grade of B scor ed. A recording fee of $30.00 is required.

An applicant may gain credit hours through Advanced Placement and/or College Level Examination (CLEP) administered by the College Entrance Examination Board. Applicants who score 3, 4, or 5 on Advanced Placement may receive credit for the introductory seq uence in a course (up to eight semester hours). Applicants who score at or above the minimum score established by the University for credit in the College Level Examination Program will be awarded the amount of credit for general and subject exams as set by the University. In order to receive credit by CLEP for a specific course, a student need not register for that course. CLEP General Examinations must be taken within the first thirty (30) hours at a university/college. CLEP Subject Examinations must be taken prior to the last thirty (30) hours at UT Martin. Details on tests and testing dates are available from the Testing Center in the Student Learning Center located in Clement Hall, Room 210 or 211.

A qualified applicant may earn a maximum of 30 semester hours credit by examination.



Graduates from high schools with state accreditation may enter the University with regular admission status by meeting one of the following criteria:

1. a composite score of 19 or above on the American College Test (ACT) and a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.25 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR

2. a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale (A=4.0) and an ACT composite score of 16 or above.

Graduates from high schools without state accreditation must meet one of the following criteria:

1. a composite score of 19 or above on the American College Test (ACT) and a cumulative high school grade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale, OR

2. take the GED and score a minimum of 50.

An applicant 18 years of age or over who has not graduated from high school may be admitted to the University upon passing the General Educational Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above. The applicant's high school class must have graduated. S tudents must request their official test results be sent to UT Martin in addition to a transcript of any high school work completed. A student entering on the basis of a GED will be assessed and placed in the appropriate course(s) relative to his/her need s to include high school unit requirements.

An ACT score is not required if the applicant has been out of high school three years or longer. See Non-Traditional Adult Admission below.

The following high school courses are also required for anyone who graduated from high school in 1993 or later. Applicants from high schools which did not offer the course(s) needed to fulfill one or more entrance requirements may be admitted but must rem ove any deficiencies beginning with the first semester enrolled and each succeeding semester until all deficiencies are removed. All deficiencies must be removed during the first two academic years of study or 60 semester hours (whichever comes first). Ap plicants who graduated from high school three or more years ago are exempted. (See Non-Traditional Admission below.)

Unit Requirements English 4 units Algebra I and 11 2 units

Advanced Mathematics* 1 unit of geometry, trigonometry, calculus, or advanced athematics

Natural/Physical Sciences 2 units; 1 must be a course in biology, chemistry, or physics

U.S. History 1 unit

Social Studies 1 unit of world history, European history, or world geography (may be fulfilled by completing 2 one half units)

Foreign language** 2 units in same language

Visual/Performing Arts 1 unit of theatre arts, visual arts, music theory, music history, vocal music, general music, instrumental music, or art history
* Students selecting pre-engineering as a major must meet the additional requirements listed on page 219 in the printed catalog.
**Waived for resident aliens if it is determined that English is their second language.


Any applicant who has been graduated from high school for three (3) years or longer (non-traditional applicant) and has completed less than 12 hours of college level coursework will receive Regular Admission if the applicant has a cumulative high school g rade point average of 2.60 or above on a 4.0 scale. Although ACT (American College Test) scores are not required for non-traditional applicants, a high school graduate will also receive Regular Admission with a composite score of 19 or above on the ACT.

A non-traditional applicant who has not graduated from high school may be granted Regular Admission upon passing the General Education Development Test (GED) with a score of 50 or above.

An applicant who does not meet the requirements for Regular Admission is eligible for Qualified Admission if the applicant is a high school graduate with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above. Applicants may also be admitted with an ACT of 14 or above, or a G ED score of 45-49.

The high school unit requirements and ACT test scores are not required for non-traditional applicants but see page 21 for the American History baccalaureate degree requirement.


A limited number of applicants who cannot meet the ACT and GPA requirements for Regular Admission will be considered for admission with Qualified Admission status. In order for an applicant to be considered for Qualified Admission status, he/she must meet one of the following criteria:

1. a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or above and a composite score of 14 or above on the
American College Test (ACT), OR
2. an ACT Composite score of 19 or above, OR
3. a cumulative high school GPA of 2.60 or above, OR
4. pass the General Education Development Test (GED) with a score of 45-49.

High school graduates are also required to have the 14 high school units listed on page 5.


A student who has completed the junior year of high school with a minimum 3.50 grade point average and a composite ACT score of at least 26 may be enrolled in the University with recommendation from his/her principal/counselor, the consent of his/her pare nts, and the Director of Admissions. Deficiencies in high school unit requirements will be waived.


A student who has completed one semester in an accredited high school may be concurrently enrolled in the University for no more than six semester hours per term if he/she has a minimum 3.00 grade point average and the consent of his/her principal/counsel or, parents, and the Director of Admissions. A student admitted concurrently must meet the high school unit requirements to enroll as a regular student after high school graduation.


An applicant who is 18 years of age and whose high school class has graduated may be enrolled in classes as a special student if he/she is not seeking a degree from the University. Anyone denied degree seeking status must wait a minimum of one full year b efore applying for Special Admission. A student who has previously been enrolled in the University as a regular student may not be readmitted as a special student unless he/she has already earned a bachelor's degree. In this case, he/she will be enrolled as a Post Baccalaureate student.

Special Admission students may accumulate a maximum of 60 semester hours (including previous college work) in this manner. They may convert at any time to a degree-seeking status if they meet the ACT/HSGPA requirements in place at the time of conversion. Students who cannot meet those requirements may convert, with the approval of their academic advisor, after completing a minimum of 15 college level semester hours at UT Martin with a cumulative UT Martin GPA of 2.00 or better. Upon conversion, students m ust remove all high school unit requirements that have not been satisfied, either in high school or through completion of the appropriate college courses.


A transfer student must have a 2.00 cumulative GPA to be admitted to the University.

A transfer student with junior standing (minimum 60 semester hours) at the receiving institution is exempt from meeting the high school unit requirements. A transfer student with less than 60 semester hours, who graduated from high school after 1988, is r equired to have the high school units in effect at the time they graduated. A transfer student may be admitted with deficiencies, but deficiencies must be removed within the deadline specified above (see Regular Admission). Exception: the deadline will be extended until a transfer student has attempted 30 semester hours at UT Martin. The student must take the prescribed course(s) for removal of deficiency (deficiencies) each semester of enrollment, beginning with the first semester, until all deficiencies are removed. (Transfer¥a student who completes a minimum of 12 college level quarter/semester hours prior to enrollment at UT Martin.)

A transcript from each former institution along with the high school transcript must be presented for evaluation, even if no credit was earned. All passing grades are accepted for transfer, but an applicant from a junior/community college must complete 60 semester hours toward a degree in an accredited four-year school. The last 30 semester hours (minimum of two semesters) must be completed at The University of Tennessee at Martin. To qualify for honors graduation (see page 13), a transfer student must co mplete at least four semesters (60 semester hours minimum) in The University of Tennessee system.

Transfer students who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may apply for the Admission/Readmission Forgiveness Policy described below.


Students who have previously attended UT Martin must complete a new application for admission but are not required to pay the application fee. Students who have attended another college(s) since enrollment at UT Martin must have a transcript(s) forwarded to the Admissions Office.

A readmitted student must meet the high school unit requirements effective at the time of his/her first enrollment.


Undergraduate students who have not attended a college or university for a minimum of four consecutive calendar years may obtain entrance through the Admission/Readmission Forgiveness Policy. The request must be submitted in writing to the Admission Offic e prior to the term for which special admission/readmission forgiveness is requested. This policy means that any previous coursework in which the student received a grade below C will not be computed in subsequent calculations of grade point average. The se grades will, however, remain on the student's transcript. Credit toward graduation will be disallowed for course grades not included in cumulative average, but this work will be included in calculations for consideration for honors graduation. A studen t may be admitted under the Admission/Readmission Forgiveness Policy only one time; this admission cannot be annulled. Anyone admitted under this policy may not graduate under a catalog in existence prior to the year in which academic forgiveness was gran ted.


To apply for admission to the University, each international student will be required to provide the following to the Office of International Programs and Admissions, Gooch Hall, Room 144, The University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin, Tennessee 38238:

1. A completed application for undergraduate admission.
2. A draft or money order for the non-refundable $50.00 application fee and postage/handling charges.
3. Authenticated copies of academic records. These records must describe the courses of instruction in terms of years spent in school, types of subject matter covered, and the grades earned in each course (or subject). These records must also give the dat e of graduation and the type of diploma/certificate issued.
4. Evidence of English proficiency indicated by a minimum score of 500 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or completion of Level 6 in the Intensive English Program is required in all curricula. The test results should be sent to the Admi ssions Office by Educational Testing Service or by student.
Upon arrival on the campus, all degree-seeking international students and resident aliens must complete an English Writing Proficiency Placement Test administered by the Department of English. The student must enroll in the appropriate English Compositio n course, as identified by the placement test, and remain enrolled each semester in the appropriate course until the student has successfully completed English 112 or its equivalent.
5. Signed statement as to the student's financial status and sponsorship in the United States. Federal financial aid is not available to international students. A deposit may be required prior to issuance of immigration forms.
6. A student applying for transfer admission from any institution of higher learning outside his/her home country must present the I-20 issued by The University of Tennessee at Martin to the transferring institution for approval and completion of the tran sfer process. Also each applicant for transfer admission to The University of Tennessee at Martin is required to submit a Transfer Social Eligibility Form to the Foreign Student Advisor at the last college or university attended.
7. Only one I-20 will be issued for each admission. If the student does not enroll for the specified term, the I-20 must be returned before a second is issued.


It is the intent that the public institutions of higher education in the State of Tennessee shall apply uniform rules, as described in these regulations and not otherwise, in determining whether students shall be classified as in-state or out-of-state stu dents for fees and tuition purposes.

Rules for Determination of Status

1. Every person having his/her domicile in this State shall be classified "in-state" for fee and tuition purposes and for admission purposes.
2. Every person not having his/her domicile in this State shall be classified "out-of-state" for said purposes.
3. The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of his/her parent.
4. The domicile of a married person shall be determined independent of the domicile of the spouse.
5. The spouse of a student classified as "in-state" shall also be classified "in-state."


1. An unemancipated, currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should his/her parent, having therefore been domiciled in the State, move from the State. However, such a student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be t reated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his/her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.

2. An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this State but is a member of the Armed Forces and stationed in this State or at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-o f-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he/she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his/her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders.

3. Students whose domiciles are in Hickman, Fulton, and Graves counties in Kentucky, can attend UT Martin without payment of out-of-state tuition but will be classified as Non-Residents for admission purposes.

4. Part-time students who are not domiciled in this State but who reside in this State and are employed full-time in the State, or who are stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders, shall be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. (Part-time students are those who enroll for less than twelve semester hours).

5. Military personnel and their spouses stationed in the State of Tennessee who would be classified out-of-state in accordance with other provisions of these regulations will be classified out-of-state, but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuitio n. This provision shall not apply to military personnel and their spouses who are stationed in this State primarily for educational purposes.


Unless the contrary appears from clear and convincing evidence, it shall be presumed that an emancipated person does not acquire domicile in this State while enrolled as a full-time student at any public or private higher educational institution in this S tate, as such status is defined by such institution.


All resident classifications shall be made by the Director of Admissions at each institution in accordance with these regulations. The decision of the Director of Admissions may be appealed to the Committee on Residency Classifications at UT Martin, which shall, after granting a hearing and fully considering the merits of each case, recommend the appropriate resident classification of the student to the Chancellor, who shall then classify the student. The decision of the Chancellor may be appealed to the President of the University and his/her decision may be appealed to the Board of Trustees of the University. For additional information contact the Director of Admissions .


Freshman Studies, an orientation course, will be offered for new students the week prior to (and continuing through) Fall Semester through the Office of Student Affairs. A faculty member with the assistance of an upperclass peer counselor conducts a credi t course on how to study effectively. Placement testing, advising conferences, registration for classes and orientation to the University environment round out the week-long program. Weekly meetings with the faculty counselor continue during the Fall Seme ster. Information about the program will be mailed to all students who apply for admission.

A health history form will be provided prior to registration and should be returned to the Student Health office upon enrollment.

Each student is required to have an identification card with a photograph and social security number issued from the University at the time of enrollment. A second photograph is required for the student record at a current charge of $2.00.


All students must complete the Selective Service Draft Registration statement as a part of admission to UT Martin.


The University of Tennessee at Martin provides academic advisement to all regularly enrolled students. The objectives of the University advisement program are:

1. to provide students with information on policies, procedures, and programs of the University
2. to assist students in exploring educational and career opportunities
3. to assist students in establishing life goals
4. to assist students with the development of an educational plan of study and the selection of courses
5. to make students aware of the range of services and educational opportunities pertinent to their educational objectives at this University.

The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs is responsible for the academic advisement program which is based upon a system of policies, procedures, publications, personnel, and services that are adopted on a University-wide basis. The deans of the individual schools are accountable to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the effectiveness of the advisement programs within each school. Deans of each school are responsible for implementing the academic advising system which is determined as being most effective in meeting the advising needs of the students within each school. Academic deans are responsible for the maintenance of advising files for all students enrolled in each school and for insuring that advisors have accurate information for each new advisee assigned. Information containing the following will be in the folder: ACT and/or SAT student profile reports, campus placement scores, TOEFL scores (if appropriate), admission confirmation and transfer evaluation forms, academic planning worksheet, academic progress information, record of referrals to other student services, and academic advising agreement. Academic deans should be responsible to see that files are promptly forwarded to the appropriate office or advisor when students change schools, major, or advisors.

In support of the academic advising program, the University shall:

1. provide advisors with current and accurate information related to student educational preparations and progress
2. provide advisors with an Advising Handbook containing annually updated information related to policies, procedures, programs, and services
3. provide advisors with appropriate training in academic advising
4. periodically evaluate the effectiveness of the advisement program and individual advisors using an evaluation instrument approved by the Faculty Senate and coordinated by the Office of Academic Affairs
5. consider academic advising in tenure, promotion, and merit decisions
6. inform students of the advising and counseling services at UT Martin and stress the importance of academic advising.


Students may enroll during the Fall and Spring Semesters for a maximum of 20 credit hours with their adviser's approval (8 hours during each Summer term). The dean's/ director's approval must be obtained in order to register for a larger number of credit hours.
Probationary students may not register for more than 16 SCH per semester or 8 SCH per summer term without the written approval of the appropriate school/division dean or director.