William R. Duffy II, Special Assistant for Outreach

Ruth Coleman, Director

The Division of Continuing Education serves as an outreach entity for the University by providing support to the mission of public service and economic, educational and cultural development of the service area. These outreach efforts are accomplished by offering educational and training opportunities for the non-traditional student through credit and non-credit programs and courses. Educational opportunities are provided in many formats and at various locations to accommodate working adults and other part-time students.

UT Martin has increased its outreach by undertaking the responsibility of managing a new learning center in Selmer, Tennessee, The University of Tennessee at Martin McNairy County Center/Selmer. Credit and non-credit courses will be offered to this service area by traditional lecture, distance learning, and on-line courses.


109 Gooch Hall

(901) 881-7080

The Evening School offers an extensive schedule of college credit courses in the evening and on weekends. Programs and courses based on student need are offered at several off-campus locations and on the Martin campus. Off-campus locations include Jackson, Oak Ridge, Paris, Union City, and Waverly. These courses carry full-residence credit and provide an opportunity for working adults and other interested students to work toward a bachelor’s or master’s degree, gain professional recertification, occupational upgrading, or simply study in academic areas of interest. All requirements for the Master of Business Administration may be completed on site in both Jackson and Oak Ridge. The Master of Accountancy may also be completed in Jackson.

The Evening School has off-campus office locations in Jackson, Selmer, and Waverly. For information on Jackson undergraduate courses and Master’s degree programs, call 901/425-3350 or 800/491-6445. The Jackson office is located at Lambuth University, 214 Jones Hall. For information about the MBA degree in Oak Ridge, call 901/881-7308 (bagrad@utm.edu). For information on course offerings at Selmer call 901/646-1636; and for Waverly call 615/296-3312.

Travel Study

The Evening School coordinates UT Martin travel study courses to a variety of locations, at various times. UTM is also a member of The Cooperative Center for Study Abroad (CCSA), a higher education consortium. UTM and CCSA sponsor two-week study programs in London and in Australia in late December and early January. During each summer there is a five-week London Summer Program, as well as two-week programs in several English speaking countries. For students interested in a longer period of study, CCSA provides a fall semester in Cambridge. UTM faculty participate regularly in CCSA programs. Courses and fees vary; for a complete list of program offerings, contact the Evening School.


110 Gooch Hall

(901) 881-7082

The University offers a wide range of non-credit programs which address specific educational and training needs of the service area. Non-credit programs are non-formal educational offerings which qualify for Continuing Education Units (CEU) and are a permanent record in the Records Office. Many of the non-credit educational offerings provide the participant with a Certificate of Completion. A complete listing of UT Martin’s non-credit offerings may be obtained from the Public Service office or via the internet at: http://www.utm.edu:80/departments/continued/pubserv/pubserv.htm. UT Martin also has the capabilities to schedule teleconferences.

Non-credit programs include seminars, workshops, conferences, and special interest events relevant to the educational interests of the University community. These include business and industry, professional groups, and the general public. These programs can be designed to meet specific educational and training needs and can be offered at a time convenient to the consumer. Many non-credit programs are offered on-site to business and industry and designed to address educational and training needs specific to the individual organization. Programs can be developed to meet certification and in-service requirements of many professional groups.

Professional Development

Professional Development courses are available to meet yearly in-service requirements in the following fields: Continuing Legal Education (CLE) for attorneys; Professional Development Hours (PDH) for architects, engineers, landscape and interior designers; Continuing Professional Education (CPE) for accountants; and in-service for firefighters, law enforcement, and educators.

The Office of Public Service offers specialized training for law enforcement through its Institute of Professional Development (IPD). This specialized training is offered primarily on-campus. Law enforcement officers nationwide attend these schools and the instruction is taught by law enforcement personnel with expertise in the individual areas. All programs are approved by the Peace Officer Standard Training (P.O.S.T.) Commission.

Programs for Youth

Non-credit courses are available for all ages. Courses currently being offered for children include Kids Internet, Acting for All Ages, Preparation for ACT, Gymnastics, and Cheerleading. UT Martin’s Annual Kid College, conducted the second and third weeks of June, is for children from 5 years to teenage. Over 60 classes are offered each year in areas such as Science, Reading, Fine and Performing Arts, and Physical Activities. Kid College also includes a space program, and each year one student earns a scholarship to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL.


Cooperative Education is the integration of classroom theory with practical experience by means of alternating specific periods of attendance at the University with specific periods of employment.

The following factors are used to adhere to this definition: (1) The student’s work should be related to his/her field of study and individual interest within the field. (2) The employment must be considered to be regular, continuing, and an essential element in the educational process. (3) The working experience will ideally increase in difficulty and responsibility as the student progresses through the academic curriculum.

Any UT Martin instructional unit that develops an academic program which permits students to rotate the semesters at the University and the periods of employment may participate.


Cooperative Education students enroll in (Academic Major) 201C-202C-203C-204C-205C-206C (1,1,1,1,1,1) Cooperative Education Experience and receive one semester hour credit per work period. Academic qualifications and career training positions, as available, are determined by the Director of the Employment Information Center or the academic advisor from the participating instructional unit who assigns a Pass (P) or Fail (F) grade for the courses. Normally, failing grades will not be given except in cases where students have been dismissed by their employers for unsatisfactory performance or students leave their jobs prior to completion of a work period without proper approval from their academic advisor or the Director of the Employment Information Center. In order to receive credit, the students must submit a work report, and the employers are requested to submit an Employer’s Rating Form for each work period.

Students majoring in programs which require, or accept, internship credit for professional experience may elect to enroll in (Academic Major) 301C-302C (2-6, 2-6) Cooperative Education and Internship Experience and receive two to six semester hours credit per work period. To receive this experience, approval of the academic advisor and the Director of the Employment Information Center is required. To enroll, students must have, at least, junior status. An academic advisor from the participating instructional unit is assigned to help coordinate the internship experience and assign letter grades. The students are required to maintain all work reports necessary to satisfy the cooperative education requirements plus any additional assignments.

No more than twelve total credit hours for the entire Cooperative Education Experience and/or Cooperative Education and Internship Experience may be earned. Internship credit hours count toward the requirements of the Baccalaureate Degree and are not additive. The specific instructional units under which the students participate in the program determine the degree requirements for which the work experience substitutes.


To be eligible for the Cooperative Education program, students must have completed their freshman year and have a 2.3 GPA. Students in a co-op work assignment are considered full-time students of The University of Tennessee at Martin and have the same general status as students in attendance at the University.

Student fees are assessed according to the current per semester hour rate as shown under Financial Information. Information about the program and how to apply can be obtained in the Employment Information Center (301 Clement during University Center renovation, 901-881-7740).