The University provides a number of services which assist the student in his/her daily living.

The University provides a number of services which assist the student in his/her daily living.


The Computer Center, located in Crisp Hall, provides computing facilities and services for research, instruction, and administrative computing. Campus facilities include an IBM 9221-191 mainframe, some Sun server computers, and several computer laboratories containing a total of 185 microcomputers. All microcomputers are attached to the campus network, which provides on-line access to the campus facilities and to most of the computers on the campus of The University of Tennessee at Knoxville. The Computer Center’s electronic communication network is connected to the Internet. Administrative computing is accomplished through a combination of the campus’s IBM 9221-191 and the central computers on the Knoxville campus. All dormitory rooms and campus apartments have ports for connection to the Internet. The Computer Center also operates a campus computer store, a computer repair service, telephone technical services, copier maintenance service, and a cable television system.


Services of the Counseling Office are available to all enrolled students. Included in the Center are personal counseling services, career services, freshman counseling coordination, and the Peer Enabling Program (PEP). The Center provides a broad range of services for students in academic, vocational, and personal areas, in addition to maintaining an open-door policy to assist students whenever possible.

No fees are charged to the student for counseling and/or consultation. Nominal fees may be required for evaluation and some workshops and seminars. If indicated and appropriate, a referral may be suggested.

All services and records are treated in strict confidence as governed by professional codes, ethics, and relevant state and federal statutes. Information may be released to others, however, upon the student’s specific written authorization. The Counseling Center is temporarily located in 310 Clement during the University Center renovation.


All freshmen who attend Freshman Studies participate in study skills classes taught by faculty members. Those faculty members, along with peer counselors, meet weekly during the Fall Semester with their small groups to discuss career choices, attend cultural events, and evaluate their experiences during their first semester.


It is the policy of the Office of Student Affairs and the PACE (Program Access for College Enhancement) Program to provide reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments and auxiliary aids) to assist students with disabilities in negotiating the university system. For additional information on services to students with physical disabilities, contact Dr. Ann Duncan at (901) 881-7704. For additional information on the PACE Program that serves students with learning disabilities, contact Dr. Barbara Gregory at (901) 881-7195. Also see the University’s 504/ADA statement on page 21.


UT Martin coordinates its learning support activities through the Student Academic Support Center. Help for students begins with placement tests, which students take during Freshman Studies Week. The tests help advisors know students' appropriate beginning level. One test may show, for example, that students need greater reading skills; they may choose to take a reading course which will help them deal with the increased size and difficulty of the college reading load.

Once in classes, students will find a range of available aid. They may get drop-in help for writing needs in the Writing Center, Humanities 209. A Math Lab operates on the fourth floor of the Humanities Building on Monday through Thursday evenings and in the Humanities basement during the day. Students often want to learn how to manage their time effectively, how to succeed in a particular course, or how to prepare for a particular examination. To learn what labs, courses, tutoring, printed and computer materials, and counseling UT Martin offers, students may inquire at the Student Academic Support Center office, Clement Hall 206-210, or call (901) 881-7744.

The CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) and GED (General Education Development) tests are administered in the Student Academic Support Center. The GED is provided weekly, by appointment. For more CLEP or GED information contact the Testing Center in the Student Academic Support Center, Clement Hall, Room 210 or 211, or call (901) 881-7744.


Students needing help with study time management, note-taking, and other skills related to academic performance may use the Study Skills Center, located in Clement Hall 206-210. The student may answer a questionnaire which provides specific details about what the student needs most. Then films, tapes, written materials, and individual counseling can assist the student in using study time more effectively.


The Career Services Office, located in 310 Clement during University Center renovation, assists students, prospective students and alumni with career decisions. Career testing is offered to determine occupations which best fit an individual’s aptitude, interest, and values. Counseling is available regarding academic majors, career choices, and vocational goals. Career exploration classes are offered for academic credit during the normal school year. Additional information on specific occupations is available through an extensive career library.


An employment service is administered in the University Center (301 Clement during Center renovation) to find temporary part-time employment for students regardless of their financial needs. Part-time work opportunities are available off-campus as well as in the various schools and offices of the University. The student must come to the Employment Information Center, University Center, and make application each semester to be considered for employment.


The Employment Information Center provides assistance to degree candidates and alumni in securing professional employment. The services are free and available year-round. Candidates for degrees are encouraged to set up a graduate file early in their senior year to take advantage of the various employment services offered in the Employment Information Center. For additional information, contact the Employment Information Center (301 Clement during University Center renovation, 901-881-7740).


Students who operate vehicles on campus are required to register their vehicles with the Department of Public Safety at registration time. Students are expected to operate their vehicles under the regulations in the current Parking and Traffic Regulations issued at the time of their registration. Vehicles brought to campus after registration must be registered within 24 hours. A vehicle registration decal showing that the car has been registered is provided at a fee of $15.00 per year and is to be displayed on the left side of the front and rear windshield. If the bumpers are chrome, stick the decals on the driver’s front and rear bumper. Disabled students will be given special consideration upon recommendation of the University physician.


The University of Tennessee at Martin is fully approved by the State Approving Agency to provide training under the Vocational Rehabilitation and War Orphans’ Assistance programs, the Veterans Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966, and the Veterans Educational Assistance Program.

Counseling service for veterans is available at the Office of Student Financial Assistance. All students planning to enter under provisions of a veterans’ educational program are urged to apply to the appropriate agency for necessary authorization well in advance of their registration date.

The University of Tennessee at Martin will certify only those courses which are included in the major field of study selected by the student; certification of “elective courses” will be limited to the number of elective hours permitted in the designated major. Electives must be selected from the academic areas prescribed in the college catalog for each specified major.

The student receiving benefits must show evidence of making “satisfactory” progress toward his/her educational objective, as defined in the college catalog. Class attendance will be a major factor in determining satisfactory academic progress.

Certification will not be allowed for any course(s) previously passed (D or above) or any course(s) designated as “incomplete”. An “F” can only be repeated when it is required in the veteran's designated major.

The office is located in Room 205, Administration Building, and the telephone number is (901) 881-7031.


UT Martin encourages participation in student organizations and has a large number registered on campus, including curriculum-related organizations, departmental groups, service organizations, social fraternities and sororities, honorary fraternities and sororities, special interest groups, and religious organizations. For a list of these organizations and further information, see the Student Handbook or contact the Office of Student Affairs.


Goals of the University Museum are to provide exciting and stimulating educational experiences for UT Martin students, area school children and the general public; and to preserve and prepare exhibits of historical and other educational materials of interest in Northwest Tennessee. Programming includes the featured travelling and indigenous exhibits in addition to the continuous displays. The exhibits are presented in the Museum located in the McCombs Center and Archives situated between Gooch Hall and the Administration Building on University Street.

The Museum is open Monday through Friday 1- 4 p.m. during regular University sessions. Visits for groups or interested individuals can be scheduled for any morning (Monday-Saturday), night (Monday-Thursday), or afternoon (Sunday), or during breaks between regular sessions, by contacting Dr. S.K. Airee, Director, (901) 881-7454, or 881-7464.


Committed to recreation and fitness as components of a balanced lifestyle, the Office of Campus Recreation offers a wide variety of recreational and competitive programs for our students, staff, faculty, and community. Active participation is the general aim of the program with emphasis given to such basic needs as relaxing, belonging, and achieving, as they relate to good health and fitness. Campus Recreation offers programs in intramural sports, individual and dual sports, leisure activities, aquatics, outdoor recreation and adventure, fitness, sports clubs, and a host of special events. Indoor recreational facilities include an Olympic indoor swimming pool, 7 racquetball courts, a running/walking track, weight room, and the Arena, which contains six basketball, volleyball, and tennis court combinations. The outdoor facilities include a 1.5 mile fitness trail, 16 tennis courts, a soccer field, and the lighted intramural playing fields. There are also several opportunities for student employment in Campus Recreation. The jobs available would include sports officiating, lifeguarding, and various recreation and facility management positions. For additional information about the Office of Campus Recreation, please call (901) 881-7745 or view our web site at http://www.utm/stuorg/camprec/camprec.htm.