Amount of Award
Awards are typically made in the following amounts:
- For domestic travel-study programs: 20% of program cost, up to a maximum of $250
- For International Travel-Study Programs: $500
- For Study-Abroad Programs 3 weeks and longer: $600
**Only one award per year per student**
Any full-time undergraduate, graduate, or TIEP student who enrolls in a travel-study or study-abroad program approved by the Travel-Study Scholarship Committee can apply. Normally, these will be programs sponsored by UTM, but students may request support for the travel-study/study-abroad programs they have developed on their own. Awards will be made primarily to students undertaking substantial travel-study projects, which will generally fall into the following categories: travel-study programs (at least one week in duration), language immersion programs (at least three weeks in duration), study-abroad programs lasting one semester or an entire academic year. The Travel-Study Scholarship Committee will consider the following criteria when making awards:
- The cost of the applicant's travel-study program
- The duration of the program
- The academic content of the program
- The program itinerary (preferably out-of-state and international travel)
- The applicant's GPA and year of study at UTM
- The financial need of the applicant
- The availability of other funds to support the chosen program
- Applicants must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
Students applying for the SGA Student Scholarship can print and complete the PDF application (form below) and submit the original, with ten dark copies, to the Center for International Education, 124 Gooch Hall, by the appropriate deadline.
- Students are encouraged to make their travel-study plans early in the academic year and to apply for support by the most appropriate deadline. These funds, generated by the SGA Travel-Study Fee, are limited and may be significantly depleted by the Spring semester.
- Before a student may receive a scholarship, he/she must pay all outstanding university fees.
- Students should make a point of seeking additional scholarship assistance from other sources to supplement this award. They may be eligible for funds from the colleges and departments within which they are majoring
Please contact the Center for International Education, (731) 881-1023, for more information.
SGA Travel Study PDF Application (print, fill out, and return to International Education office)
SGA Student Scholarship Information
Learn More >
Faculty/Staff Views of Travel
See what UTM faculty/staff have to say about studying abroad!
Learn More >