Awards are typically made in the following amounts:
- For domestic travel-study programs: 20% + 50.00 of program cost, up to a maximum of $300
- For International Travel –Study Programs: $600.
- For Study-Abroad Programs 3 weeks and longer: $700.
**Only one award per year per student**
Any full-time undergraduate, graduate, or TIEP student who enrolls in a travel-study or study-abroad program approved by the Travel-Study Scholarship Committee can apply. Normally, these will be programs sponsored by UTM, but students may request support for the travel-study/study-abroad programs they have developed on their own. Awards will be made primarily to students undertaking substantial travel-study projects, which will generally fall into the following categories: travel-study programs (at least one week in duration), language immersion programs (at least three weeks in duration), study-abroad programs lasting one semester or an entire academic year. The Travel-Study Scholarship Committee will consider the following criteria when making awards:
- The cost of the applicant's travel-study program
- The duration of the program
- The academic content of the program
- The program itinerary (preferably out-of-state and international travel)
- The applicant's GPA and year of study at UTM
- The financial need of the applicant
- The availability of other funds to support the chosen program
- Applicants must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
Students applying for the SGA
Student Scholarship can print
and complete the PDF application (form below) and submit
the original, with ten dark copies, to the Center
for International Education,
124 Gooch Hall, by the appropriate deadline.
• Students are encouraged
to make their travel-study plans early in the
academic year and to apply for support by the
most appropriate deadline. These funds, generated
by the SGA Travel-Study Fee, are limited and may
be significantly depleted by the Spring semester.
• Before a student may receive
a scholarship, he/she must pay all outstanding
• Students should make a point of seeking
additional scholarship assistance from other sources
to supplement this award. They may be eligible
for funds from the colleges and departments within
which they are majoring
Please contact the Center for International Education, x 1023, for more information.
SGA Travel Study PDF Application(print, fill out, and return to International Education office)