Frequently Asked Questions

Which programs are offered online?

Which programs are offered on campus?

Which major do I choose?

“I don’t have a license and I want to…

… become a licensed teacher.”

Choose to major in Initial Licensure (5020)


  • Elementary
  • Secondary (English, Math, Science, History, etc.)
  • TOPs – Transition of Professionals to Teaching - online, must have job offer in hand to qualify

… be licensed in a specialty field.”

Choose to major in Initial Licensure K-12 (5016)


  • Special Education

“I already have a license and I want to…

…be an educational leader.”

Choose to major in Educational Leadership (5050) - online


…get a general educational master’s degree.”

Choose to major in Curriculum and Instruction (5017) - online


…get a master’s with a particular concentration, add an endorsement, or complete my +30 hours.”

Choose to major in Interdisciplinary (5019)

100% Online Concentrations/Endorsements*

  • Agriculture Education and Leadership
  • Early Childhood Education
  • ESL (English as a Second Language) – endorsement only
  • Geosciences Education
  • Gifted and Talented Education
  • Instructional Design and Technology
  • Montessori (must have Montessori credential)
  • Postsecondary Education
  • Reading Specialist K-12
  • Special Education (Advanced SPED or Add-On)

Concentrations* with some on-campus participation:

  • English
  • History
  • Math

“I want to…

…become a counselor.”

Choose to major in School Counseling (5042) or Clinical and Mental Health Counseling (5041) - online


*Please note your concentration in the “Additional Comments” space on the online application

Do I have to take the GRE?

Yes, if you are degree-seeking and working toward a full master's degree. If you are not degree seeking, the GRE is not required.


If you have received a master's degree from a regionally accredited institution, you are exempt from the GRE but will be subject to individual review.

What is the GRE writing portion about?

The writing portion of the GRE can present a challenge. Our GRE Analytical Writing tips will help you prepare.

The GRE uses a new scoring system. How do I know what scores I need for UT Martin?

We are still using the old scoring system, but use the concordance table found at the ETS website to translate the new scores into the old. We use the highest score option.

What is Curriculum and Instruction? Is it the major I need for administration?

Curriculum and Instruction is an all-purpose advanced teaching license. If you'd like to be an administrator or supervisor, please choose Educational Leadership.

I'd like to be a school administrator. Which major should I choose and how do I qualify?

We offer our Educational Leadership major to fulfill the requirements of Tennessee's Department of Education's "Instructional Leadership" license. You must have three years of teaching experience to qualify.

I've decided to take a semester off. What do I need to do?

If you've decided to skip a semester, you MUST reapply to Education Graduate Programs. Taking a semester off makes you inactive in the system. Reapplying simply makes you active in the system again. On the application, use your application login ID and pin. If you've forgotten your application login, use first-time account creation. Your social security number will tie your accounts and information together. Chose "Graduate Studies: Readmit."

Apply Now

Ready to become Skyhawk? Find out how.

View Admissions Requirements >


Request Information

Please fill out this inquiry form to receive more information about our programs.

Click Here >