1. The University of Tennessee at Martin actively solicits employee concerns, complaints and/or observations of unsafe conditions. The Report of Safety Hazard form is periodically mailed to each employee to register complaints. This form can also be obtained from Personnel Services or from the Safety Officer and is included in the new employee orientation packet as well.
2. When the Report of Safety Hazard form is completed it will be sent to the Safety Officer. The Safety Officer will stamp the date each form is received and indicate any action taken. When a safety hazard required immediate abatement the Safety Officer will advise the appropriate department for correction.
The Report of Safety Hazard form can be completed anonymously. All of these forms will be maintained in the Safety Officer's file. E-mail can be used although it may disclose the reporter's identity.
3. During Right-to-Know training and new employee orientation, the employee will be advised of his or her right to report to the Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Agency (TOSHA). In addition, the employee may report concerns or complaints to the Safety Officer or to the employee's immediate supervisor.
4. Upon receipt of the complaint (by way of the designated safety hazard form, by telephone, or other means), the Safety Officer will analyze the concern based on the nature, location, department and severity of the complaint, making recommendations for action to the campus administration.
5. The Safety Officer will monitor the campus' compliance of this policy and procedure.