Somsak Sukittanon, Ph.D.
Department of Engineering
124E Joseph E. Johnson EPS Building
Phone: 731-881-7381 Fax: 731-881-7383
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, 2004
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, 1999
- B.S. Telecommunication Engineering, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology, 1994
- Cunningham Scholar award, UTM - 2014
- Featured faculty award, UTM - 2014
- Stanley Jones Endowed Professorship, UTM - 2010, 2011
- Smith Endowed Professorship, UTM - 2012
- Outstanding teaching award, U. of Washington - 2005
Lecturer, Teaching and Research Assistant
Department of Engineering,
University of Tennessee at Martin, August 2007- present
Shotspotter Inc., Santa Clara CA, 2006
Virtual DSP, Bothell WA, 2004-2006
University of Washington, Seattle WA, 1999-2005
UCOM, Bangkok, Thailand, 1994-1996
Public Service and Other Relevant Activities
- Faculty Senate
- University scholar mentor, UTM
- Award committee, UTM engineering
- Curriculum committee, UTM engineering
- Reviewer, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA)
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing
- Reviewer, International Association of Science and Technology for Development
- Reviewer, International Symposium on Circuits and Systems
- J.B. Wright and S. Sukittanon, "User-Driven Mobile Authoring System", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2014.
- B. Gilbert, J.B. Wright, and S. Sukittanon, "Mobile Authoring and Sharing System for Creating Learning Materials", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2013.
- J.B. Wright and S. Sukittanon, "Integer-Based Wavetable Synthesis for Low-Computational Embedded Systems", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2013.
- N. Dickey, D. Banks, and S. Sukittanon, "Home Automation using Cloud Network and Mobile Devices", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2012.
- J. Potts and S. Sukittanon, "Exploiting Bluetooth on Android Mobile Devices for Home Security Application", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2012.
- S. Sukittanon and J. Potts, "Mobile Digital Filter Design Toolbox", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, 2012.
- J. Potts, N. Moore, and S. Sukittanon, "Developing Mobile Learning Applications for Electrical Engineering Courses", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, page 293-296, 2011.
- L. Herrera, B. Mink, and S. Sukittanon, "Integrated Personal Mobile Devices to Wireless Weather Sensing Network", Proceedings of the IEEE southeast conference, page 5-8, 2010.
- M. Kimbrough, R. Chrysler, and S. Sukittanon, "Increase Student Project Outcome in Embedded System Course through Design Competition", accepted for Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition, 2010.
- J. McCullough, S. Sukittanon, and R. Helgeson, "Incorporating Assistive Technology into Senior Design Projects", accepted for Proceedings of ASEE, 2010.
- M. Kimbrough, J. Fulwood, and S. Sukittanon, "Dynamic Laser MIDI Controller," accepted for IASTED, International Conference of Signal and Image Processing, 2009.
- L. Atlas, S. Sukittanon, S. Schimmel, "Modulation frequency analysis and modification of signals", accepted for ICASSP Tutorial 2008.
- C.W. Huang, S. Sukittanon, J. Ritcey, A. Chindapol, and J.N. Hwang, "An embedded packet train and adaptive FEC scheme for VoIP over wired/wireless IP networks," Proc. of ICASSP,vol 5, 2006.
- S. Sukittanon, L. Atlas, and S. Dame, "Enhanced modulation spectrum using space-time averaging for in-building acoustic signature identification," Proc. of ICASSP, vol 3, 2006.
- S. Sukittanon, L. Atlas, J. Pitton, and K. Filali, "Improved modulation spectrum through multi-scale modulation frequency decomposition," Proc. of ICASSP, IV_517- IV_520, 2005.
- S. Sukittanon and S. Dame, " Embedded statemachine design for PSoCTM using C programming," Cypress Semiconductor Application Notes AN2329 (part 1), AN2332 (part 2), and AN2333 (part 3), 2005 (available at www.cypress.com).
- S. Sukittanon and S. Dame, " FIR filtering design for PSoCTM with application to fast hilbert transform," Cypress Semiconductor Application Notes AN2328, 2005.
- S. Sukittanon and S. Dame, " 3-channel filterbank in PSoCTM," Cypress Semiconductor Application Notes AN2315, 2005.
- S. Sukittanon and S. Dame, "nth order digital IIR filtering graphical design tool for PSoCTM," Cypress Semiconductor Application Notes AN2312, 2005.
- S. Sukittanon, L. Atlas, and J. Pitton, "Modulation scale analysis for content identification," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 52, pp. 3023-3035, 2004.
- S. Sukittanon, A. Surendran, J. Platt, and C. Burges, "Convolutional networks for speech detection," Proc. of ICSLP, II_1077-II_1080, 2004.
- Surendran, S. Sukittanon, and J. Platt, "Logistic discriminative speech detectors using posterior SNR," Proc. of ICASSP, V_625-V_628, 2004.
- S. Sukittanon and L. Atlas, "Channel compensation of modulation spectral features," Proc. of ISCAS, 540-543, 2003.
- S. Sukittanon, L. Atlas, J. Pitton, and J. McLaughlin, "Nonstationary signal classification using joint frequency analysis," Proc. of ICASSP, VI_453-VI_456, 2003.
- S. Sukittanon, "Fixed-point DSP programming using the ADSP-2100," UW-EE technical report UWEETR-2003-0026, 2003 (available at www.ee.washington.edu/techsite/papers).
- S. Sukittanon and L. Atlas, "Modulation frequency features for audio fingerprinting," Proc. of ICASSP, 1173-1176, 2002.
- M. Ostendorf, L. Atlas, R. Fish, O. Cetin, S. Sukittanon, and G. Bernard, "Joint use of dynamical classifiers and ambiguity plane features," Proc. of ICASSP, 3589-3592, 2001.
- “Automatic identification of sound recordings,” patent number 7,328,153 B5.
- “Systems and methods that detect a desired signal via a linear discriminative classifier that utilizes an estimated posterior signal-to-noise ratio (SNR),” patent number 7,660,713.
- ENGR 231 Digital Logic
- ENGR 233 Electrical Laboratory I
- ENGR 316 Signals and Systems
- ENGR 361 Digital Signal Processing
- ENGR 460 Microprocessors
- ENGR 461 Communication Systems
- ENGR 490 C/C++ and iOS Programming
Senior Design Projects (since 2007)
- 2007 IEEE Robot Competition
- 2008 IEEE Robot Competition
- Assistive Technology 1: Head Tracking Computer
- Assistive Technology 2: Motorized Prone Stander
- Digital Audio Mixes
- Advanced Ultrasonic Rangefinder
- Wireless Weather Station on iPhone
- Multitouch Display Controller
- Exercise Machine Design
- Android Mobile Interface for Home Security System
- Mobile Lock Box
- Mobile Learning Application for Beam Bending
- Home Automation using X10 Network
- Interactive Mobile Content Display
- Mobile Authoring and Sharing System for Creating Dynamic Learning Applications
- Automatic Music Composer
- Gesture Painting using KINECT
- Wireless Nutritional Scale with Mobile Display
- MoonWatt: home automation using Raspberry Pi
- Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast Modification to UAV
- Virtual Building Walkthrough with Oculus Rift
Capstone Design Projects (since 2007)
- Lighting Orb
- Wireless Weather Station
- Frozen Towers
- Mancala iphone app
- Woodchopping iphone app
- Atmoizer iphone app
- Speech Enhancement on iphone app
- Digital Sound Effects on iphone app
- Looping Music Synthesizer
- Speech recognition using KINECT
- 5-card Poker Mobile Game
- Voice Activated Living
- Magnet Controlled Drum Beat Sound Generator
- Laser Harp Music Synthesizer
- Invisible Drum Set
- Bluetooth Chatroom
- Laser Piano
- Water Printer
- Chesster: Chess Training System
- Robot Fighters
- Heartbeat Monitor
- Duck Killer
- Mind over Matter
- Diet Fridge
- Pro Range
- Mad Car
- Duck Slayer
- Dragon Guitar
- The Galaxy
- Wheel Motion
- Nintendo Sudoku
- Handheld Blackjack
- iRobot Detonator
- EKG Monitor
- Persistence of Vision
- Wheel of Fortune
- 3-D Tic Tac Toe
- Guitar Tuner
- Movie Special Effects
- Digital Logic Assistant
- DSP Filter Design
- DSP Assistant
- Stopwatch Extreme
- Opamp Calculator Tool
- Voice Changer Addict
- Prime Number Billions
- Dice Rolling Extreme
- Guessing Words Addict
- Engineering Economics Tutor
- Strength of Materials: Point Load
- Strength of Materials: Uniform Load
- Fundamental Engineering Tutor
See our engineering program
Learn More >
See our projects
Learn More >