Learn about what it takes to be a buyer, from considerations when going to the wholesale market to how to calculate markups from wholesale to retail when pricing merchandise.
This course involves learning the following concepts:
- consumer demographics and psychographics to consider when planning a buying trip (know your customer),
- buying for different kinds of retailers (small specialty stores, large department stores, off-price stores...)
- making buying decisions,
- the mathematics of retail buying - markups, markdowns, stock planning, making the purchase,
- selecting wholesalers to buy from and negotiating terms.
A sampling of signments for this course include:
- Buying Group Assignment (Buying for a mock store)
- Reading and learning about buying strategies through Case Studies
- Using Excel Spreadsheet to develop buying plans, figure markups....
- Researching fashion trends and posting on a Blog
See the career opportunities of Family & Consumer Sciences
Learn More >