Learn about the properties of fibers and fabric in relation to selection, use and care of apparel and household textiles.
This course involves many exciting lab activities including:
- testing fabrics for flammability, wrinkability, dye fastness, and durability,
- tie dyeing and discharge dyeing of t-shirts
- learning about weaving and practicing off the loom, and
- learning the names of fabrics.
A sampling of assignments for this course include:
- Laboratory Testing of Fabrics in Lab
- Fabric Samples Project (Finding images/pictures of fashions and interior design products suitable for specific fabrics)
- Group Projects (Selecting fabrics, flooring, etc. for a retail store and a day care center)
- Exploring new trends and technology in textiles production through internet exploration and research abstract
- End Use Project (Testing fabric to determine which is more appropriate for a specific clothing or interior design product)
See the career opportunities of Family & Consumer Sciences
Learn More >