The future of the ARTS STARTS with you.
Visual and Theatre Arts Department announces the new STARTS (Support The ARTS) Campaign.
Your contribution to STARTS will be used to support Visual Art, Dance, and Theatre programs and events to build, develop, advocate, and nurture vibrant arts and cultural opportunities on the UT Martin campus and throughout our West Tennessee community.
Please read more about it below or contact Douglas Cook, Chair of Visual and Theatre Arts. The contact information is listed below.
10 Reasons to STARTS!
- Visual and Theatre Arts scholarship opportunities are essential to attract talented students to VTA programs. There are no state funded VTA scholarships
- Young artists are subject to higher costs for supplies and fees than other students.
- Students with an education rich in the arts have higher overall GPA’s and lower dropout rates.
- Monetary awards and recognitions at VTA sponsored art exhibitions and competitions are meaningful incentives in developing young arts professionals.
- Theatre and Dance performance events operate largely on receipts from ticket sales. Supplemental funding sources are necessary to keep ticket prices low.
- The cost of producing plays and dance concerts has grown exponentially. Royalty costs (permission to perform) have tripled over the last five years.
- Scenery/costumes expenditures for plays require 10 performances to recoup the investment.
- VTA efforts to acquire art and display art throughout the new Fine Arts Building.
- First-class technologies and equipment = First-class competitive arts professionals.
- The arts are good for our local economy. Attendees at arts events spend an average of $24.60 per person, per event, on products and services from area merchants.
Donor Categories and Benefits
ALL current Friends of Vanguard will have their $100 contribution honored for the school year 2017-18. (Each donor category includes all previous courtesies)
Friend - $100
- Two reserved tickets (per event) in donor’s name for all performances.
- Early reservations before the box office opens.
- Names listed in performance programs.
Sponsor - $250
- Four (total) reserved tickets (per event) in donor’s name for all performances
- UT Martin T-shirt
Patron - $500
- Names announced prior to all Vanguard Theatre and UTM Dance Ensemble events throughout performance season.
- Names listed on the permanent STARTS donor display in the Fine Arts lobby.
- Early access to arts sales and events (Empty Bowls, Cups for the Cure, LSA Holiday Art Bazaar).
Benefactor - $1,000
- Limited edition print or some other limited edition artwork.
Visionary (Individual/Sponsors) (Underwriting a Specific Event) - $5,000
- Name placement featured on event promotional materials.
- Special recognition announcement and thanks before event.
Make all checks payable to UT-Martin and send to:
Visual & Theatre Arts
16 Mt. Pelia Road
201 Fine Arts Building
Martin, TN 38238
(If you are a UT-Martin employee you may participate in payroll deduction.)
Please remember to include your name, address, phone number, and email.
For more detailed information please call 731-881-7400.
Students in the Dance Program at The University of Tennessee at Martin have many options for studying dance.
View Dance Education Program >
A series of original plays written by students in the playwriting classes are presented in the spring. These performances are directed by students from the directing classes.
View Vanguard Theatre >