Welcome to the UTM French program!
Bienvenu au programme de français!
Maybe you took French in high school, loved it and now you want to learn more about French language and culture. Maybe you took Spanish and, in college, would like to try something new. In this case, learning French will be easier for you, because there are many similarities between French and Spanish. Maybe you have never studied a foreign language and decided that French might be a good option to complement your future career. It doesn’t really matter why you chose French, there will be a place in our class where you will feel comfortable, encouraged and where your efforts will be appreciated.
In case you are not yet convinced that you are smarter than your friends, below are some of the reasons why your choice of French as a foreign language reflects your superior intellect:
- French is spoken on all five continents (go ahead, check it out and compare!): it is the official language in 40 countries and it is spoken in 54 countries, with over 220 million speakers.
- With so many speakers spread throughout the planet, the cultural and artistic diversity of these Francophone countries will blow your mind.
- French and English are the official languages of most international organizations, such as the International Red Cross, the European Commission, the International Olympic Committee, Doctors Without Borders, NATO, and many, many more.
- It also provide the basis of the two major world law systems: the civil law tradition (French) and the common law tradition (English). If you want to become an international lawyer, a diplomat or an international official, French is the best choice for you!
- French is the language that most contributed foreign words in English. Learning French will make your of English vocabulary much larger.
- France invests heavily in the United States and vice-versa.
- France’s influence in the world of fashion, art and culinary is unparalleled.
So, if you only take one class or if you decide to minor in French, rest assured that you will learn a lot and have fun while doing it.
If you need more information, feel free to email Dr. Florido (firstname.lastname@example.org).