Courses Taught and Syllabi
HPER 350 Motor Development and Learning Across the Life Span
HPER 435 Nutrition for Health, Fitness and Sport
HPER 705 Scientific Principles of Human Movement
HPER 740 Sport and Exercise Nutrition
B.S., Physical Education
M.S., Physical Education and Health
Ph.D., Pedagogy/Exercise Physiology, minor in Nutrition
- “The New Face in Leadership: Emotional Intelligence” in final edit to Quest., National publication of NAKPHE, Fall 2010.
- “Your Job – Your EQ – Your Health” for publication in The Department Chair: A Resource for Academic Administrators, national publication, Spring 2008.
- “Social-Emotional Intelligence and its Role in Physical Education”, accepted for presentation at the 2009 NAKPHE Conference, Sarasota, FL, Spring 2009.
- “Embracing the Globalization Challenge”, invited for presentation at an Administrators Workshop at the 2009 NAKPHE Conference, Sarasota, FL, Spring 2009.
- “Defining Your Leadership: The Emotional Intelligence Connection”, accepted 2-hour workshop to be presented at the 2008 Academic Chairpersons Conference, Orlando, FL, Spring 2008.
- “The New Face in Leadership: Emotional Intelligence”, accepted to be presented at the 2008 NAKPHE Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Spring 2008
- “Emotional-Social Intelligence: A Key to Behavior in Today’s Classroom”, presented at the 2007 SAWPASH Conference, Rock Hill, SC, Fall, 2007.
- “Social-Emotion Intelligence for the Physical/Health Educator”, paper presented at the Summer Teaching and Coaching Workshop sponsored by TAHPERD, UTM, Summer 2007.
- Tri-County Community Wellness Program Grant (funded) $85,000, in collaboration with Dr. Deborah Gibson, 2007
- "Your job - Your EQ - Your Health" 2-hour workshop presented at the 2007 Academic Chairpersons Conference, Orlando, FL, 2007.
- "Emotional Intelligence working for you" paper presented at 2006 SAWPASH Conference, Fayetteville, AR.
- "Motivation for Exercise Participation Among College Undergraduate Students," in collaboration with Dr. Deborah Gibson, Department of Health and Human Performance.
- "Relationship Between Cognitive Development and Development of Scientific Thinking Processes Among College Undergraduates."
- Delta Health Education Grant with D. Chapman, Fall 2002
- Review of State Standards for Health, Physical Education, State of Tennessee, Fall 2001
- "Meeting the Challenges of Graduate Degree Programs Offered at Small Universities", presented at The National Academy of Educational Research, 2002 Fall Conference, Pont Verde, FL
- "Utilizing behavior change models in the classroom: Making theory work for you", accepted for presentation at the National Academy of Educational Research, 2002 Fall Conference, Pont Verde, FL
Faculty/Teaching Development Activities
- Webinar: “Nutraceuticals’ Role in Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Management”, registered for Spring 2010.
- DVD: “Optimizing Intelligences: Thinking, Emotion & Creativity” featuring four of the top researchers in the field .
- DVD: “Emotion: Gatekeeper to Performance, The Mind/Body Connection” featuring a professor of Physiology and Biophysics.
- Attended and participated in Bb training, Spring, 2009.
- Attended Performance Review Workshop conducted by UTM Office of Human Resources, February, 2009.
- Attended and participated in NCATE/BOE Training Workshop, February, 2009.
- Attended and participated in a Blackboard Training, Spring and Fall, 2008.
- Attended and participated in a SPSS Training, Fall, 2008.
- Attended and participated in a IRIS/Budget Access Fall, 2008.
- Attended and participated in an all-day Blackboard Training, January, 2007.
- Attended and participated in The Teaching Professor Conference 2006, Atlanta GA.
- Attended the PETE sponsored Conference: Cracking the Code: Making Sense of NCATE Standards 1 and 2, Washington, D.C., March 2006.
- Attended Academic Chairs Conference, Orlando, Florida, February 2006.
- Attended AACTE Preconference Workshop entitled "Creating a Mentoring Culture in a College of Education," San Diego, CA, January 2006.
- Attended AACTE Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, January 2006.
- Blackboard Training Workshop, Spring 2006.
- Attended Skill Path Seminars on How to Excel at Managing and Supervising People, Jackson, TN, Fall 2005.
- Attended Skill Path Seminars on Leadership and Team Building, Paducah, KY, Fall 2005
- TN State Board of Examiners for the Dept. of Education NCATE Training, Nashville, TN, Fall 2003. Invited to serve a second 3-year term.
- School Health Coalition Training Workshop, UTM, Fall 2002
- Advanced Exercise Prescription for the Cardiac Client, Academy Medical Systems, Inc. Memphis, TN, Spring 2002
- 2001 AACTE Conference, Dallas, TX. UTM representative, Spring 2001
- TN State Board of Education, Joint NCATE/State Team Training Workshop, Nashville, TN, Spring 2001
- TN State Board of Education, Joint NCATE/State Team Chairs Training Workshop, Nashville, Fall 2000
- UTM Teacher Effectiveness Workshop, Fall, 1997- 2001
- NBPTS/NCATEGraduate Program Training Workshop, Washington, DC, Spring 2001
Professional and Community Activities
- Faculty Research and Development Committee, nominated for 2009-12 term.
- SACS: Graduate Education Committee, 2010-
- Arranged EXSC Lab demonstration for UT Development Committee, April, 2009.
- TN State Board Examiner, NCATE/State Visit, State Team Chair, pilot new standards, Spring, 2008.
- Faculty Senate Budget and Economic Concerns Committee, Chair, 2007-08; member, 2005-07.
- TN State Board Examiner, Focused Visit, Christian Brothers University, Fall, 2007.
- In collaboration with D. Gibson and J. Wilbert, planned. implemented, and currently evaluating a one-year Wellness Program for Union City Fire Department as Part of their National Security Grant 2005-2006
- TN State Board Examiner, Joint State/NCATE 2000 Visit to East Tennessee State University, State Team
- Chair, Fall, 2005; Lambuth College,Spring 2005; Lincoln Memorial College, State Team Chair, Fall, 2003; Cumberland College, Fall, 2002; Belmont, Spring, 2002; MTSU, State Team Chair, Fall, 2000; Tusculum College, Spring, 2000.
- Search Committee for Chair of Educational Studies, 2006-07, member.
- Elam Center Users Committee, Chair, 2005-present
- Leadership Advisory Team, member as Conceptual Framework chair, 2005-present
- Standard 2 Committee, member, 2005; chair 2006-present
- Graduate Committee, member 2006-present
- Faculty Senate, member, 2005-08.
- UTM Coordinator, NCATE/State accreditation, 2002-03.
- SACS Educational Programs Committee, member, 1999-2002
- Tenure and Promotion Committee, Spring 2001 (FCS), Fall 2001 (HHP), Spring 2002 (FCS)
- Cumulative Performance Review Committee, Psychology, Sociology, Spring 2001
- Graduate Masters Major Project, member on three committees, Spring 2001; major professor for two students, Fall 2001-2002
- Graduate Committee (CEBS), member, 1999-present
- Chair of Curriculum Committee (HHP), Fall 2001-present
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, member, 2004-present
- TACTE, member 2005- present
- National Association for Kinesiology and Physical Education in Higher Education (NAKPEHE), 1997, 2006-present.
- American College of Sports Medicine, member, 1993-94. 2005.
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 1994, 1998, 2004 (twice)
- Phi Delta Kappa, 1996-2001; editor of newsletter 1998-2000
- Past Chair of Research Council, SDAAHPERD
- Past Member-at-Large of Research Council, SDAAHPERD