Click to expand/collapse

What is the Housing Residency Requirement?

It is the policy of The University of Tennessee at Martin to require all single freshmen, with under 24 hours of credit, to live on-campus.


"The University requires all single freshmen, with under 24 hours of credit, except those living with their parents within a 50-mile radius of campus, to live on campus in the residence halls or University Village. Students that have 24 hours completed and a GPA of 2.0 are no longer required to live on-campus. Students over 21 years of age, veterans of military service, or students with extreme health problems as verified by medical records may be exempt from this requirement. Contact the Office of Housing at 7737 for additional information."

Why does The University of Tennessee at Martin have such a policy?

In general, research has shown that students who live on-campus are more likely to earn higher grades, be more satisfied with their college experience, and participate in extracurricular activities. Most importantly, students who live on-campus are more likely to persist in completing their college education to earn a college degree. There are many benefits to living on-campus. The residence life staff provides a meaningful network of support and guidance for students. The staff also presents many programs and activities that encourage students to become involved on-campus and further develop their interpersonal skills. The residence halls are within an easy walk from classes, the cafeteria, and the library. The close location allows for more frequent interaction with faculty, and there are many services provided for the students in the residence halls.


The most rewarding benefit of living on-campus is friendships made with other students who share the common goal of pursuing a college education. These friendships are more likely to help students to return the following year, and provide a source of encouragement to complete their college degree. These friendships will last a lifetime.

If a student's request for an exemption is denied, is there an appeals process?

Yes, a student may request an appeal. The request must be submitted in writing to the Housing Office. The request must state the reason why the student believes he or she should be exempted from the Housing Residency Requirement, and must state dates and times they are available to meet with the Housing Residency Requirement Exemption Appeals Committee. The Housing Residency Requirement Exemption Appeals Committee is comprised of university faculty and staff. Once a written request for an appeal is received by the Office of Housing, the Office of Housing will begin to schedule the Appeals Committee meeting with the schedules of the student and the committee members. Once the meeting has been scheduled the student will be notified. Once the meeting has been scheduled it cannot be rescheduled. If a student is not able to attend the Appeal Committee meeting, the committee will make a decision based upon the student's completed Housing Residency Requirement Exemption Form and the student's written request for an appeal.

What if a student who currently lives on-campus wants to request an exemption?

A student may request an exemption at anytime. However, students who live on-campus must understand that they must meet the obligations of their housing contract. These obligations may include charges such as a break housing fee, payment of the full semester rent charge, and the payment of a $500 mid-year contract buy out fee.

Are freshmen allowed to buy out of the Housing Residency Requirement?

Freshmen with under 24 hours of credit cannot buy out of the Housing Residency Requirement.

Where can I apply for an exemption?

  1. Click here for the Housing Exemption Form.
  2. Print the form
  3. Complete all sections of the exemption form.
  4. Mail the form to
    The University of Tennessee at Martin
    Office of Housing
    269 Clement Hall
    Martin, TN 38238

You may also come by the Office of Housing at 252 Clement Hall and complete the Exemption form with Ms. Teresa Hibbard (731-881-7737).


You may now file your exemption online in the following way:

  1. Logon to BANNER Self Service Web
  2. Select "Personal Information"
  3. Select "Online Housing Application"
  4. Select "Go to RMS Student Web for Housing
  5. You will then arrive at the Online Housing Portal landing page
  6. Click the 'Forms' text or logo
  7. Click 'Next Step' next to Housing Exemption
  8. Fill out all required information and click the 'Finish' button
  9. Your request will be sent to workflow and either rejected or approved. You will receive a confirmation email in either case

Welcome Message

Listen to a welcome message from Earl Wright, Director of Housing.

Listen Now >



The Office of Housing has a rolling deadline for housing applications. Applications can be taken up to the day the residence halls open.

View Housing Applications >


Need somewhere to stay over the summer?

Apply for summer housing in Cooper Hall:
$890 for full summer or $1,330 for a private room
$445 for one session or $665 for a private room
$305 for Maymester only or $445 for a private room

Apply Now >