Future Students

Students on Move In Day


Have you...

Completed a housing application?

Paid your $150 Housing Deposit?

  • Pay now using Banner Self Service
    • Log in to Banner using the above link
    • Click 'Personal'
    • Click 'Payments and Deposits'
    • Click the link button to continue to Touchnet
    • Select Deposits on the top menu
  • Mail a check or money order to:

    • Office of Housing

      269 Clement Hall

      Martin TN, 38238

Received your housing assignment?

Assignments are released beginning early April and continue throughout the summer!


Assignments and assignment changes can be viewed by following these steps:

  1. Logon to BANNER Self Service Web
  2. Select "Personal"
  3. Select "Housing Application"
  4. Select "Go to RMS Student Web for Housing"
  5. You will then arrive at the Online Housing Portal landing page
  6. Select "Assignments"
  7. Select the appropriate Housing Assignment link

Reviewed our checklist of what to bring to campus?

Reviewed sample contracts and leases?

Reviewed check-in dates and times?

The information below is for Spring 2019.


Move-in begins Monday, January 7 at 8:00am.

If you cannot arrive by 1:00pm Thursday, January 10, please call or email us prior to this time.


Where do I pick up my keys?

Browning, Ellington, and Cooper Halls have front desks that will be staffed for check-in. For University Village Phase I, you will need to go to the C106 Office. For University Village Phase II, please go to G-building breezeway.


Reviewed the immunization compliance process?

The General Assembly of Tennessee requires entering students to complete an immunization compliance process. Please visit the Student Health Immunization Compliance page for full details.


Reviewed the Housing Handbook?

Considered Renter's Insurance?

When making preparations for beginning your education at the University of Tennessee, we feel it is important for students to fully consider all of their property insurance needs, whether they live on or off-campus. Occasionally, incidents such as fire, theft, flood and other casualties occur that may result in damage or loss of a student’s property. The University of Tennessee does not carry insurance on resident’s belongings and will not pay to replace them. Therefore, we strongly encourage parents and students to make sure they are able to cover these unexpected costs or secure insurance protection on personal property.


The most frequent causes of student property loss are theft and accidental damage (dropping, spilling liquids, and similar events). If this were to happen, your out-of-pocket costs to repair or replace will generally run between $500 and $2,000. Some parents choose to rely on homeowner’s insurance to cover such losses. Homeowner’s policies provide some coverage but generally do not cover “breakage” or accidental damage, and usually have high deductibles that effectively leave most student property losses unrecoverable.


To purchase coverage, please visit www.CollegeStudentInsurance.com


You can view a comparison of renter’s insurance to home owners insurance at collegestudentinsurance.com/homeownerscomp.aspx. For these reasons, students are strongly encouraged to have a personal property insurance policy for their belongings while living away from home.


If you decide to purchase insurance, there are a wide variety of companies and policies available; so to help with your choice the University of Tennessee has made arrangements with Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., one of our preferred brokers, to offer specialized student property protection insurance. Arthur J. Gallagher has created this property insurance plan especially for students living away from home, either on or off campus. The coverage afforded by their policy is broader than most renter’s and homeowner’s insurance policies that are available in the insurance market. Special provisions and benefits of their policy include:

  • Replacement Cost Valuation
  • Flood and Earthquake Coverage
  • Low Deductibles starting at $25
  • Worldwide Coverage Territory
  • Limited Identity Theft Expense Coverage
  • Premiums as low as $69 annually


If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Office of Risk Management or visit collegestudentinsurance.com/faq.aspx.


Please note that Liability Coverage is not automatically included. You will be given the option to purchase Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Coverage to pay for damages for which the student is held legally liable (i.e. damages to the dorm room, damage to property of others, bodily injury of another party, etc.)


Download the College Student Renter’s Insurance brochure [PDF]


Click to expand/collapse

Prepare for Takeoff


Beginning Fall 2019, new students with less than 45 credit hours are required to live on campus. Recent research of college students across the nation indicates that students who live on campus are more satisfied with their college experience, earn higher grade point averages, and are more likely to graduate. (According to the American Council on Education). We encourage our first time students to live on campus because of the many benefits including:

  • Convenience: Short walks to class, dining options, and campus events.
  • Community: Live in the diverse communities featured in the residence halls.
  • Living Learning Communities that focus on academic and lifestyle interests.
  • Involvement: Right outside your door you can engage in student organizations, Greek life, intramural sports, fitness programs, residence hall programs and more.
  • Professional Staff: Professional and student staff live on site to help residents with a wide range of issues. Staff also promote social and networking opportunities through regular programming. Our maintenance staff works around the clock to provide a clean and well maintained living environment.
  • Safety: Desk staff is available 24/7. Hall staff is trained to handle emergency situations and campus police are stationed within 100 yards of the residence halls. Access to many of the living areas is controlled by card swipe access and common areas are covered with security cameras.
  • Personal Development: Grow your personal skills by learning to work and live with others and build lifelong connections with other residents. 

These are just some of the benefits students receive when living on campus at UT Martin. If you feel you have a reason to be exempt from living on campus, please contact Teresa Hibbard at (731) 881-7737.


The campus operates a Local Area Network that provides direct wired and wireless internet access to students living on campus. The IT Help Desk is also available at (731) 881-7900.



Residents in University Village will have a washer and dryer in each apartment for their personal use that is included with their rent at no extra charge.


Laundry facilities are located in the basements of Cooper Hall, Ellington Hall, Browning Hall, and in the University Courts complex. These laundry facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art Maytag washers and dryers which operate with the Skyhawk Card for your convenience. Both washing and drying are free of charge to residents, the Skyhawk Card is used as authentication.


Laundry Tips

  • Separate your colors from your whites
  • Don't overload the washing machines


Telephone Service

UT Martin operates its own telephone communications system. The cost of the local telephone service is part of the semester room rent. A voicemail account is also available for each line. All of the residence halls have a telephone outlet located in each room. University Village, University Courts, and Grove have one telephone outlet per apartment. Residents are responsible for providing their own phone. For more information, please contact UTM Telephone Services at (731) 881-7835.


Cable Service

Bring your digital cable ready TV, and you will be able to receive over 80 channels:

basic, four premium (HBO), student information, and other selected educational channels. Cable service is included at no extra charge.


Mail Service

Residents in Browning, Ellington, and Cooper Halls will have an assigned mail box in the lobby of their building. Residents in University Village will have an assigned mail box at the Skyhawk Mail Services located in the basement of Clement. This box will be for regular mail only. When shipping a package and a street address is required (usually when shipping FedEx or UPS), you should use the following, which is the street address of Skyhawk Mail Services where ALL student packages are delivered: 


"Your given name"
"Appropriate Building & Room or UTM Box #" 
210 Hurt Street
Martin, TN 38238


Log on to Banner Web, select your Personal Menu where you will find the address inquiry option, to identify your exact mailing address.


For information on how to send and receive mail on-campus, please visit the UTM Post Office web site:

Skyhawk Mail Services


Click to expand/collapse

Are the rooms and bathrooms cleaned by housing?

Custodial services are provided by the Office of Housing to clean all public areas and shared bathrooms in Browning, Ellington, Cooper and University Village Phase 2. Residents have the responsibility for hanging up and putting away their clothes, making their beds, and generally keeping the rooms neat. No one may remove screens from windows or move furniture out of the unit.


Can I apply for University Village (A-E)?

University Village Phase 1 (A-E) is an upper-classmen community. Incoming new students may not apply for University Village (A-E). For incoming students who prefer an apartment style assignment, University Village (F-H) is a freshmen preference community where assignment priority is given to freshmen based on application completion date.


Can I apply for University Village (F-H)?

University Village Phase 2 (F-H) is a freshmen priority community. While upper-classmen may apply for University Village (F-H), assignments will only me made after freshmen applying for University Village (F-H) have already been assigned.


Can I bring my Hoverboard?

Due to fire safety concerns that have been raised by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) associated with hover boards and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), UT Martin has decided to institute a temporary ban on these devices. Effective July 1, 2016, and until further notice, hover boards will not be allowed in any university residence hall or apartment, and cannot be stored inside or left unattended in any UTM facility. Due to pedestrian safety concerns, no hover boards or other mobility devices are allowed to be used inside any UTM facilities, other than mobility devices in the regulations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). CPSC and NFPA investigators are actively investigating hover board-related fires across the country, and as soon as more information is made available on the safe use and storage of these devices, UT Martin will respond accordingly.


Can I decorate my door?

When decorating your room door, you are not allowed to cover the room number or peepholes. Decorations should allow residents access to the locking mechanism and doorknob. Exterior doors are public spaces and if decorations do not comply with Housing policy they may be removed at the discretion of the University.


Can I get out of my contract or lease?

No resident may withdraw from housing except in the case of extreme necessity and approved by the Director of Housing or designee. Cancellation of registration or academic suspension does not automatically release the resident from the contract.


Please refer to your lease for rules and stipulations.


Residents must also complete an official room checkout with a member of the housing staff before leaving. Be aware that if you do not follow the above steps for checkout, you will be assessed charges in addition to rent.


Can I have a pet on campus?

The only pets normally allowed in residence halls or apartments are fish, which can be contained in an aquarium of 25 gallons or less. Cleaning and damage fees will be assessed for the presence of other animals.

UTM Housing does support the use of animals for residents with disabilities as well as Emotional Support Animals. Please contact The Office of Disability Services for more information.


Can I leave my items in my room during winter break?

Residents are able to leave belongings in their rooms during the holiday break if they are returning in the spring, but UTM will not claim responsibility for these items. Campus security will continue to be on duty during the break. For security reasons, please remember to close and lock windows, lower blinds, and lock all doors.


Do I have to live on campus?

While we encourage all students to live on campus, beginning Fall 2019 students with less than 45 credit hours are required to live on campus by University policy. If you have less than 45 credit hours but feel you have reason to be exempt from living on campus, please contact Teresa Hibbard at (731) 881-7737.


How can I hang decorations on my wall?

When hanging decorations on your walls, doors, or other surfaces remember to use only reusable, non-adhesive putty and small finishing nails. Glue, large nails, screws, duct tape, carpet tape, or double-sided tape will damage surfaces and you will be responsible for repair costs. Stickers, wallpaper, or adhesive-backed shelf paper cannot be affixed to any University property for the same reasons. Nothing should be hung on or around sprinkler system heads or windows. Residents are responsible for damages incurred by hanging items in their room or apartment that do not meet these standards.


How do I apply for housing on campus?

Applications are available online through the Housing Portal. There is a $150 deposit that is due upon completion of the application. The application fee is refundable if notification of cancellation is received by June 1 for the fall semester or December 1 for the spring semester. The University reserves the right to refuse any application for accommodations or to cancel any agreements or leases in the residential facilities. For more information please click here to visit our Application page.


How do I become a Resident Assistant?

Make sure you meet the below eligibility requirements:

  • Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • Must be at least a 2nd semester freshman
  • Clean student disciplinary record
  • Ability to pass a criminal and sex offender background check
  • Freedom from other job responsibilities including student teaching
  • Completed application with three completed reference forms

You can apply for Resident Assistant positions when they are posted here: http://www.utm.edu/departments/personnel/student_vacancies.php


How do I cancel housing?

  • To cancel your housing, you will need to access the Online Housing Portal:
  • Select "Personal"
  • Select "Housing Application"
  • Select "Go to RMS Student Web for Housing"
  • You will then arrive at the Online Housing Portal landing page
  • Click the button or text labeled 'Housing Application'
  • At the bottom of the page click the link that matches your application type
  • On the next page, select the Cancel Code from the dropdown that matches your reason for cancelling
  • Type in any additional information in the cancellation notes field
  • Click 'Finish' to send your cancellation request. The request will enter workflow and either be approved or rejected
  • NOTE: The housing deposit is only refundable for applications that are cancelled up to June 1 for the fall semester or December 1 for the spring semester.

How do I check out of my room?

Housing expects all students to leave within 24 hours of their last exam. However, all students must be checked out before the building closes after commencement. Students moving into a summer campus housing assignment may be consolidated until their summer assignment is available.


When vacating your room, all residents must complete an official checkout with a member of the housing staff or complete the express check out envelope. Before a resident can be checked out of his/her room, it should be clean and all personal belongings removed. During a checkout, the condition of the room is evaluated and noted on the room inspection forms. The resident is given the opportunity to review and comment on this evaluation before being asked to sign it unless you opt for the express check out option. A final walk through of the apartment is done by the Hall Director after all residents have checked out. Damage charges will be assessed at this time (Note: The RA cannot make verbal guarantees of an absence of charges).


How do I pay my Deposit?

All residence halls require a one-time $150 deposit. You can pay this deposit with your application but if you didn't there is still time. Choose how you would like to pay your deposit below.

  • Pay now using Banner Self Service: After logging in go to the Personal Information tab. Click on Payments and Deposits. Click the Online Payments button. You should now be in Touchnet, click on E-Deposits at the top of the page. Select Housing Deposit then click select. After selecting the deposit you wish to pay you will be able to enter your credit or debit card.
  • Mail a check or money order to:
    Office of Housing
    269 Clement Hall
    Martin TN, 38238

How do you determine where I get assigned in Housing?

All applications to the Office of Housing are given priority based upon application date. In applying for housing, students may request a particular type of housing and make roommate requests. Private and corner rooms may also be requested. Every effort will be made to accommodate such requests. However, because space is limited, no guarantees can be made. Priorities go to those students who apply the earliest. Roommate and suite mate requests will be granted when possible, provided the application and deposits are made at the same time and if each applicant requests in writing his/her desired roommate. Reminder: University Village (F-H) is a freshmen preference community and priority will be given to freshman based on application date. University Village (A-E) is an upper-classman community and is available to apply for after your first year on campus. Incoming students who apply before January 31 will have the option of completing Freshmen Self-Assign to select their assignment in either Browning Hall, Ellington Hall, or University Village Phase II.


I'm having problems with my internet connection, who do I call?

Internet service is available in each room through Ethernet data connection or Wi-Fi. Internet access is free for residents on campus. Gaming consoles and TiVo DVR's can also be used with the service as long as they are registered with the network online. For questions concerning Internet access contact the Help Desk at 731-881-7900.


Is alcohol allowed on campus?

UTM is a DRY campus. “Use, possession, or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages on University-owned property” is forbidden.


Is public transportation available to students living on campus?

Public transportation is not provided by the campus. However residents can walk to anywhere on campus, from their building, in 10 minutes or less. Bicycle racks are also located near each residence hall for residents' convenience.


As for travelling around the local area, The North West Tennessee Human Resource Agency does provide public transportation. (Click here to find more information about NWTHRA transportation)


Are cigarettes or e-cigarettes allowed on campus or in rooms?

Possession of cigarettes or e-cigarettes is allowed. However, the use of cigarettes or e-cigarettes is prohibited on campus and in residence halls. Violations will be referred to Student Conduct.


Once I move in, can I change rooms?

The University expects students to continue residency in the room to which they are assigned. However, we realize that changes are sometimes mutually beneficial. Through regularly scheduled procedures, room changes may be made by contacting your Hall Director. We will also hold a moving period during the first week of each semester where you can meet with your Hall Director to check for available room options.


What can I put on my University Village balcony?

Residents are welcome to place small plant containers and outdoor patio furniture on the balcony and porch areas, so long as the items do not impede ability to safely exit the apartment building. A clearance should be maintained from doors, breezeways, and stairs. Balconies and porches are not to be used as storage areas or for entrance or exit from the apartment unit.


Due to safety regulations, the following items are not permitted on balconies and porches:


Indoor furniture
Bicycles, scooters, or mopeds
Flammable liquids
Grills or grilling accessories, such as lighter fluid, charcoal, propane
Any other item deemed a hazard by your Hall Director


What do I do if I am having a roommate conflict?

If you and your roommate(s) are not able to compromise and resolve the situation, ask the RA assigned to your floor or building to intervene by meeting with all involved roommates. The RA's role is that of a neutral mediator. If the problems persist, you may need to meet with the Hall Director for continued mediation. If problems are not resolvable after the above steps have been taken, all residents involved will be given new room assignments.


The Office of Housing or Assistant Director of Housing may intervene in a conflict if roommates have been unable to resolve a conflict at other levels.


What do I do if I get locked out of my room?

When students are locked out of their room, they should contact their assigned front desk in order to reach the RA on duty or a Housing staff member who will let them back into their room. More than three lockouts in a semester will result in disciplinary action.


If you are unsure who to contact, click the "Our Department" link on the left hand side of the page. Then select the Residence Life Staff tab to view contact information for all Hall Directors and RAs.


What do I do if I have lost my room keys?

Residents are issued keys to their apartment/bedroom. Misuse of keys, such as loss or lending to others, jeopardizes safety and may be grounds for disciplinary action. Loss of a key or damaged keys should be reported to the Hall Director. If keys are lost, the locks will be changed at the resident's expense. The cost of replacing these are: room key (Browning, Ellington and Cooper Hall) $30.00, mail key $7.00, Cooper suite doors, University Village and floor doors keys are $50.00.


What do I do if I have lost my Skyhawk Card?

Temporary ID Cards may be issued if a resident has lost their Skyhawk card and plans on getting it replaced at the Skyhawk Card Office within 72 hours. Residents will need to contact their Hall Director to issue them a Temporary ID. If the resident fails to return the Temporary ID then the card will be replaced at the resident’s expense.


What do I do if there is a tornado warning?

In the event of a tornado warning, residents of Cooper, Ellington and Browning Halls need to seek shelter in the basements of the residence hall. University Village residents should seek shelter on the first floor in an interior walled section of an apartment or hallway. If you do not have time please go to your bathroom and stay away from all windows. Prior to an issued warning you may seek shelter in the basements of Cooper, Ellington, or Browning Hall.


What do I do with my bike if I bring it on campus?

Students are encouraged to use the bicycle racks provided for the students' convenience located near each residence hall. When keeping a bike in one of these racks, the student should always keep it securely locked. Bicycles may be stored in apartments but may not be hung from the ceiling, walls, or elsewhere. Storage of bicycles in hallways, stairwells, and balconies is not permitted. Any bicycle stored or chained in an unauthorized area inside or outside the halls will be removed. In addition, bicycles must never block or interfere with an exit or obstruct flow of traffic. At no time are motorbikes permitted anywhere inside the residence halls.


What happens if I damage property in my room?

Residents are responsible for the condition and care of the accommodations to which they are assigned and shall reimburse the University for damages to the room. Charges for damages and cleaning will be assessed to the student and should be paid promptly.


What happens if I don't have a roommate and haven't paid for a private room?

Housing reserves the right to make any changes in the accommodations it deems proper or necessary. All rooms are to be occupied by the maximum allowable number of residents. In case one of the roommates moves, the resident(s) who remain agrees to accept an assigned roommate(s) or to move to another room upon request. When available, a resident may request a double room to be occupied privately at a higher rate.


What is consolidation and why?

Housing reserves the right to make any changes in the accommodations it deems proper or necessary. All rooms are to be occupied by the maximum allowable number of residents. In case one of the roommates moves, the resident(s) who remain agrees to accept an assigned roommate(s) or to move to another room upon request. When available, a resident may request a double room to be occupied privately at a higher rate.


What is moving period and how does it work?

Moving period takes place during the first week of each semester where you can meet with your Hall Director to check for available room options.


What will I be charged for after I check out?

After a checkout, each room inspection form is reviewed. If deficiencies or damages are evident, the resident may be assessed a fee for replacements, cleaning, or repairs. Students will also incur fees for failing to return their keys or to complete an official checkout. These fees will be placed on the student's university account and should be paid in a timely fashion.


When can I have guests in my room?

Residents may have overnight guests of the same sex only if prior arrangements have been made with roommates. Overnight guests must be registered at the front desk for your complex and approved by the Hall Director. Approved overnight guests are limited to three days in a one week period.

Visitation options are listed below:

Type I Visitation - Rooms are available to all single students by request and include no visitation of the opposite sex and is only available in Ellington Hall.

Type II Visitation - Visitation of the opposite sex allowed noon-midnight on Sunday-Thursday and noon-2am on Friday and Saturday. This type of visitation is available in Ellington, Browning, and Cooper Hall.

Type III Visitation- Designated for University Village A-E and F-H only. Visitation is at the resident's discretion. Cohabitation is NOT permitted. Residents need to be mindful and respectful of their roommates. Visitation issues occurring in University Village A-E / F-H will be handled by the staff accordingly.


When can staff come in my room?

Entry by university authorities into occupied rooms of residence halls is divided into three categories: inspection, search, and emergency.


1. Inspection is defined as the entry into an occupied room or apartment by university authorities in order to ascertain the health and safety conditions in the area, to check the physical condition of the area, to make repairs on the facility, or to clean an area.


2. Search is defined as the entry into a room or apartment by on-campus authorities for the purpose of investigating suspected violations of campus regulations and city, state, or federal law. University officials shall have, if possible, the Hall Director accompany them on a search.


3. An emergency situation exists when a delay necessary to obtain search authorization constitutes a danger to persons or property.


Where do I dispose of my trash?

As a resident, it is your responsibility to place garbage in the trash dumpsters located in each complex. Garbage may not be kept in the hallways, stairwells, or balconies. Please help us keep clean and well maintained facilities. Residents and visitors to the communities are asked to keep hallways, public areas, stairwells, and landscaping free of trash and cigarette butts. Any type of trash left outside of living areas (in hallways, outside of front doors, in stairwells, etc.) will incur charges.



Who do I call if I live in the halls and need assistance?

Browning, Ellington and Cooper Hall operate desks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can contact the desks to get telephone numbers, leave messages for residents, request assistance from your RA or HD, if you are locked out, need to report a concern, etc. Any resident can check out cooking utensils, board games, athletic equipment, hammocks, and much more at the desk by presenting their Skyhawk Card.


University Village Phase I residents who need assistance are asked to contact the Cooper Hall front desk at 8900 or 8901. University Village Phase II residents are asked to call the Ellington Hall front desk at 8930 or 8931.


Why is my assignment something other than my first choice?

After completing the application, room assignments will be made based upon application date and preferences. Students who are reapplying for housing will have an opportunity to use the housing portal to reserve their same room back or to select a new room.



Click to expand/collapse