MASC students must complete a minimum of 33 credit hours (including the Capstone Professional Project) with no final course letter grade lower than a “B.”
Required Core Courses (15 total credit hours)
All students are required to complete the following courses with a final letter grade of at least a “B”.
- COMM 701—Professional Seminar I (1 credit hour; requires travel to campus on two weekends)
- COMM 702—Professional Seminar II (1 credit hour; requires travel to campus on two weekends)
- COMM 703—Professional Seminar III (1 credit hour; requires travel to campus on two weekends)
- COMM 710—Applied Research Methods for Professionals (3 credit hours)
- COMM 720—Media and Communication Theory for Professionals (3 credit hours)
- COMM 790—Capstone Professional Project (1–3 credit hours)
Students must choose one of the following courses, depending on their career goals. Students will be allowed to count the second course as an elective should both courses be completed with a final letter grade of at least a “B”.
- COMM 730—Organizational Communication (3 credit hours)
- COMM 740—Leadership Theory and Practice (3 credit hours)
Elective Courses (18 total credit hours)
Each MASC degree-seeking student will work with an academic advisor within the Department of Communications to select elective courses to fulfill the 18 hours of elective courses. Elective courses are offered in the following areas of emphasis.
- Public Relations and Marketing Communication
- Mass Communication, Media Management, and Media Production
- Technical Communication
- Issues and Topics in Strategic Communication