John J. Schommer
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, Tennessee 38238
John J. Schommerjoined the UTM faculty in 1994. He has taught at the University of New Orleans , Duke University , and Ohio University. He spent two years teaching in the math department at Central Catholic High School in Portland OR, where he also served as the boys' tennis coach. He, his wife Anne, and their daughter Mary are active members of St. Jude's Catholic Church in Martin. John is the past-chair of the Jackson Deanery Development Committee for Social Ministries and serves as treasurer for the Weakley County affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. He was awarded the Harold Love Outstanding Community Service Award by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission for this work. He has served as president of the UTM Faculty Senate and has been a member of the UT Board of Trustees. His major research interests are in point-set topology.
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Ohio University, 1992
- M.A., Theology, Franciscan University of Steubenville, 2004
- M.S., Mathematics, University of New Orleans, 1983
- B.S., Secondary Education, University of New Orleans, 1980
- Maps and f-normal spaces (with B. Mitra), Topology and its Applications, 153(14) (2006) 2735-2744.
- Strongly normal semi-continuous functions, Journal of the Tripura Mathematical Society, 6 (2004) 1-10.
- Realcompactness, Encyclopedia of General Topology, (2004) 185-188.
- Contemporary theologians find a use for transfinite cardinals(with Steve Campbell), College Mathematics Journal, 33(4) (2002) 331.
- Almost* realcompactness (with M.A. Swardson), Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae, 42(2) (2001) 385-394.
- A nearly pseudocompact space, Journal of the Tennessee Academy of Science, 74(3-4) (1999) 72-74.
- A characterization of realcompactness, Acta Mathematica Hungarica, 72(4) (1996) 319-322.
- Weak Forms of Realcompactness, Topology Atlas Invited Contributions, 2,1 (1996) 27-30
- A Fable of Reform, American Mathematical Monthly, 103,2 (1996) 134-142.
- Functions with realcompact support, Kyungpook Mathematical Journal, 35,1 (1995) 93-103.
- Fast sets and nearly realcompact spaces, Houston Journal of Mathematics, 20 (1994) 161-174.
- Relatively realcompact sets and nearly pseudocompact spaces, Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae, 34,2(1993) 375-382.
- Inferring Design: the Mathematics behind Intelligent Design, UTM Philosophy Forum, April 17, 2008
- To the Moon, UTM College of Engineering and Natural Science Career Day, October 5, 2006
- Arguing the Axioms of Set Theory, Tennessee Academy of Science 115th meeting, University of Tennessee at Martin, Martin TN, November 18, 2005
- Hyper-real maps and nearly realcompact spaces, AMS Southeastern Section Meeting #1004, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green KY, March 19, 2005
- Is there a fair voting system?, UTM College of Engineering and Natural Science Career Day, September 24, 2004
- Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems, UTM Philosophy Forum, March 29, 2004
- Infinity: One size does not fit all, UTM Journal Club, February 27, 2004
- Mild and Meek Normality, Union University Math Colloquium, April 14, 2003
- Mild and Meek Normality, Western Kentucky University Math Colloquium, April 3, 2003
- Return of the B.A. in Mathematics, UTM Department of Mathematics and Statistics Colloquium, January 13, 2003.
- Mild and Meek Normality, Murray State University Math Colloquium, September 16, 2002
- On Nearly Realcompact Spaces, Annual Spring Topology and Southeast Dynamical Systems Conference, University of Texas at Austin, March 22, 2002
Courses taught (last 5 years):
- 130 The Nature of Mathematics
- 320 Multivariate Calculus
- 410 Geometry
- American Mathematical Society
- Fellowship of Catholic Scholars
- Tennessee Academy of Science
[Martin] [Department Homepage] [Faculty]
See mathematics and statistics courses' descriptions
Learn More >
See mathematics and statistics courses' syllabi
Learn More >