In Fall 2016, approximately 20 scholarships, averaging $4,800 a year, are available to incoming Freshman meeting the following two criteria:
- The student must major in an under represented STEM discipline - Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geology, or Mathematics.
- The student must qualify for financial aid as indicated by FAFSA.
What are the other benefits of being an S-STEM Scholar?
- Each summer, S-STEM students will enroll in a 2 week, all day, course, the STEM Academy. This course aims to solidify the background material from the previous semester and introduce the key concepts which the student will see in the upcoming year. The course will be taught by a member of the Project Team.
- Each month, there will either be a workshop or an invited speaker. The workshops, led by a member of the Project Team will cover topics ranging from study skills and career advice, to C.V/resume writing, and undergraduate research options.
- Monthly lunches with faculty and an annual Fall Picnic.
- Once a semester, S-STEM students will go on a field trip. Locations include graduate schools, places in industry and government, and middle/high schools.
- Each S-STEM student will complete 5 hours of service learning per semester.
- S-STEM students will be encouraged to participate in research projects with mentoring faculty.
What is required of an S-STEM Scholar?
To maintain their scholarships, the S-STEM Scholar must:
- Maintain a 2.75 Overall GPA with a 3.0 science GPA.
- Remain in an underrepresented STEM field, he/she chooses to change major.
- Complete at least 5 service learning hours each semester.
- Attend all required social events and academic speaking events.
- Meet with their Project Team advisor at least 3 times each semester.
- Pass the STEM academy each summer.
In addition, in order to be eligible, the student must
- Have a minimum high school GPA of 3.0.
- Have a minimum ACT score of 24.
- Have passed Biology, Chemistry, Algebra I and II, Geometry, and preferably Calculus in high school.
- Transfer students must have Junior status with a minimum GPA of 3.0.