Dedicated to Funding Research and Travel-Study within the Percussive Arts
The University of Tennessee at Martin Percussion Society and alumnus Mr. Daniel Vargason are proud to offer the UTMPS-Vargason STRIVE scholarship, which funds UTM percussion students interested in travel related research. The purpose of this scholarship is to encourage percussion students to engage in research and creative activities, such as summer music festivals, camps, seminars, and research trips around the United States and internationally.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher with a letter grade of C or higher in all Department of Music courses
- Enrolled as a full-time student in the current semester
- Must be registered with full-time status for the upcoming semester and/or be currently enrolled as a full-time student when the study will take place
- Must be registered for MUEN 365 – Percussion Ensemble for the upcoming semester and/or be currently enrolled in MUEN 365 - Percussion Ensemble when the study will take place AND have been registered for Percussion Ensemble all semesters of degree program at UT Martin.
Funding and Restrictions
- Awards will be $200-$500 depending on need, merit, and availability of funding
- Funds may be used for festival/camp tuition, travel (airfare, bus, train, or boat), and housing.
- Funds may NOT be used for equipment, food, instruments, sheet music, application fees, rent/mortgage, gas, auditions, or any other expenses outside of festival/camp tuition, travel, and housing. Please note, your research does NOT have to be a summer festival.
- Application deadline is on-going until funds are depleted. The scholarship funding will reset each school year.
- Recipients will be chosen by a panel of UTM percussion faculty and Daniel Vargason
- Applicants will be chosen based on the following criteria: proposal clarity and strength of application, eligibility (see above), academic success, studio camaraderie, excellence in applied lessons and percussion ensemble, participation in major ensembles, and overall positive team building attitude.
- Meet all Eligibility Requirements above
- Statement of Purpose (no more than 3 pages. PDF uploaded on Application Form)
- What is the Research Travel-Study you wish to engage in?
- Preliminary experience and/or research on this topic
- What is your immediate goal of this study?
- How does this study relate to your current degree program?
- How will this study impact your career goals?
- How will this study benefit UT Martin Percussion Studio, Department of Music, University as a whole, and the West Tennessee community?
- Detailed Budget (See template. PDF Uploaded on Application Form)
- Application Form
- Completed application must be received no later than 45 days before proposed research project.
Distribution and Follow-up
- Funds will be released to the student AFTER the completion of the travel-study program
- Submission of all receipts in accordance with the budget and guidelines must be submitted within two weeks of research completion in order to receive reimbursement
- A brief presentation by the recipient to UTMPS of research activities needs to be presented in a studio class following research activities
- A follow-up summary and thank-you card must be submitted to Daniel Vargason within 2 weeks after completion of travel study in order to receive reimbursement
Contact Dr. Shane Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions.