The Psychology Program at The University of Tennessee at Martin offers a broadly-based liberal arts education with a major in Psychology and a related subject minor. The Psychology major incorporates the educational goals of the profession as enumerated by the American Psychological Association. Achievement of these goals prepares the undergraduate student for graduate study or successful entry into a wide variety of occupations at the Bachelor's Degree level.
The graduating Psychology major at UTM is expected to:
1. Students will demonstrate familiarity with the major concepts, theoretical perspectives, empirical findings, and historical trends in psychology.
2. Students will understand and apply basic research methods in psychology, including research design, data analysis, and interpretation.
3. Students will be able to communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
4. Students will demonstrate information competence and the ability to use computers and other technology for many purposes.
5. Students will pursue realistic ideas about how to implement their psychological knowledge, skills, and values in occupational pursuits in a variety of settings that meet personal goals and societal needs.