The Social Work Program, in collaboration with the College of Education, Health, and Behavioral Sciences, has been approved by the Tennessee Deprtment of Education to recommend individuals for licensure as school social workers when the following requirements have been met:
- graduation from a CSWE accredited social work program;
- completion of Social Work 375 Social Work in the School Setting;*
- completion of Human Learning 325 Educational Psychology or Teacher Education 716 Growth and Development in School Age Students (9-12);
- completion of Special Education 300 (500) Exceptional Child;*
- completion of Educational Studies 450 (650) The School, the Teacher, and the Law;*
- completion of Social Work 490 Social Work Field Instruction* (in a school setting), OR one year successful postgraduate experience as a school social worker or family and children social worker may substitute;
- recommendation from the UT Martin Social Work Program; and
- recommendation from the UT Martin College of Education, Health, and Behavioral Sciences.
For applications, you can access the link below or contact the Department of Behavioral Sciences Office at (731) 881-7520.
(*Students must receive a grade of "C" or above to successfully complete courses.)
Application for Students Interested in School Social Work Licensure
Perhaps the greatest strength in the Social Work Program is field instruction.
View Internship Information >
View Scholarship Opportunities >