Structural History of UT Martin

Name(s) of Buildings: Dining Hall; Instructional Television Building; Communications Building

comm2

Construction Dates: 1934-1935; 1947; 1968?

Cost: $39,000; unknown; unknown

Brief History:

In 1934 construction began on a kitchen and dining hall to replace a similar facility from the Hall-Moody era. The building was completed the following year for on-campus dining. During the Second World War it also fed War Training Service trainees. The Dining Hall was remodeled in 1947 and operated as a cafeteria until the new Student Center was completed in 1965. Some time before 1968 the cafeteria was converted into an instructional television studio for WLJT-TV. It was renamed the Communications Building in 1979.

Return

Apply Now

Ready to become Skyhawk? Find out how.

Visit Admissions >

 

Library

With the official opening on June 9, 1995, the library expanded to 120,000 square feet, and the renovation included space for a Special Collections area, a Media Center, and group study space.

Visit the Library >