Name(s) of Buildings:
Mount Pelia Lodge; Volunteer Lodge; Mount Pelia Apartments
1946-1947; demolished ___ 1967
The Mount Pelia Apartments were one of several structures (including the Student Activities Building, the "Wooden Box" men's dormitory, and other temporary housing) assembled from surplus government building materials purchased from the closed Army base at Fort Tyson (outside Paris, Tenn.). During the late 1940's and early 1950's, the building was used for housing veterans who returned from the Second World War and as married student housing. By the 1960's, the building was known as the Volunteer Lodge and was used as a residence for male students. The last few years of its existence it served as temporary classrooms and as a Counseling Center. The structure was removed in 1967 to make way for the new Paul Meek Library.