Paul Meek Library
University of TN at Martin
Martin, TN 38238
Director: Samuel Richardson
|Corbitt Special Collections –
Structural History of UT Martin
Name(s) of Building:
Ellis Home for Young Women; Reed Hall
1919; demolished 1975
To answer the needs of expanding enrollments, the Hall-Moody Normal School began construction of the dormitory in 1919. The building was originally named the Ellis Home for Young Women in honor of Baptist elder G. L. Ellis. It sat immediately east of the old Administration Building and was connected to that building by a covered breezeway.
When the Hall-Moody campus was purchased for a state junior college the building was renamed Reed Hall. It was used as a women's dormitory until 1975, when the building was demolished in favor of newer facilities.