Structural History of UT Martin

Name(s) of Buildings: Carter House or Carter Hall; Shannon Hall

shan1~1.jpg

Construction Dates: Unknown

Cost: $25,000

Brief History:

Carter Mortor Inn was constructed privately as a hotel and operated in Martin since the 1930s. It was purchased by the university for use as student housing in 1959. The building began housing 45 male students in the fall of 1960. Its name was changed to Shannon Hall in 1963. The building was sold by the university in 1967 as new dormitories were being constructe south of campus, and was eventually demolished. The structure sat just off campus on the north side of University Street, east of the University-Lovelace intersection.

Return

Apply Now

Ready to become Skyhawk? Find out how.

Visit Admissions >

 

Library

With the official opening on June 9, 1995, the library expanded to 120,000 square feet, and the renovation included space for a Special Collections area, a Media Center, and group study space.

Visit the Library >