Palmersville was established in 1842 on the lands of Smith Palmer. In 1890 the community
contained a grist/saw mill, two general stores, a church and two societies - The Oddfellows and
Masons. In 1891 the Minida Normal College was organized and was in operation until 1912. The
college offered both a B.A. and B.S. degrees but financial problems plagued it since its founding
and eventually was sold. In the 1920's and 1930's a series of fires destroyed most of the village's
business district. Like most small farming communities in the early part of the 20th century
Many of its residents migrated to the larger towns and cities.
Return to previous page.