Some excerpts were taken from "Weakley County" by Virginia C. Vaughan
The town of Gardner was founded in 1856 on property owned by Colonel John Almus Gardner, the first president of the Nashville and
Northwestern Railroad. The first post office
in Gardner was named "Gardnerville" and was situated about one mile north of town's present
location. The town later moved closer to the railroad after construction of the tracks were
completed. Gardener was incorporated in 1869 and was the business center for western Weakley
County prior to 1873. After the completion of the Central Illinois line and its intersection with
the Nashville and Northwestern at Martin, Gardner began a steady decline as
businesses ventured to this new trade hub.
Notable citizens from Gardner include: Railroad businessman John
Almus Gardner and Congressman William P. Caldwell.
Return to previous page.