Mount Pelia, Tennessee
Some excerpts were taken from "Weakley County" by Virginia C. Vaughan
Mount Pelia was originally called Middlebury and later Montpelier. Mount Pelia is considered to
be one of the oldest communities in the county. It was first established in 1840 as Middlebury,
but since there was another post office with same name elsewhere in Tennessee the community
was renamed to Montpelier then to Mount Pelia in 1916. By 1885 there were two general stores,
a grocery store, one saloon, six blacksmiths, a Masonic Hall, two churches and a school. The
population that same year was about 100 people. As Martin
began to develop, many of Mount Pelia's residents relocated to the growing trade center.
Return to previous page.