Some excerpts were taken from "Weakley County" by Virginia C. Vaughan
Ralston was established in 1860 on the property of Alexander Ralston, the first post master of the
community. Much of the land in the area at one time belonged to William Martin whose heirs
sold the property to early settlers. The town eventually grew around the Nashville and
Northwestern Railroad. By the 1880's, there was a steam cotton gin, gristmill, general store, three
tobacco warehouses, a blacksmith and a several mercantile firms. At present, the town serves as a
suburb of Martin.
Return to previous page.