Sharon, Tennessee

Some excerpts were taken from Weakley County by Virginia C. Vaughan (1983)

Settlers had lived in the area of Sharon as early as 1824, but it was not until the coming of the railroad in 1873 that families and businesses centralized to this new trade center. Fonville and Owensville were names highly considered for the town, yet the citizens found the name Sharon to best fit the new town. It is believed that the name Sharon was chosen by the conductor of the first train after the wild flowers that grew abundantly in the region, they were called The Rose of Sharon . Sharon was incorporated as a town in 1901 and like most of the towns and cities in Weakley County it relied upon the railroad economically. Today, Sharon has a population of 1,047 (1990) and is the largest township in Weakley County.
Return to previous page.