Transfer Student Office - FAQ's

What is CRN?


The CRN is the number that is assigned to each course. That is how the system knows WHAT CLASS and SECTION it is, WHO is teaching it, WHEN it is being taught, WHERE the class is being held, and HOW MANY credit hours the course is worth.



What if I don't know the CRN when I am registering?


It is okay not to know the CRN. You can find the CRN using the LOOK UP CLASSES TO ADDlink found in the Registration Menu in Banner. After you have selected the term, highlight the type of class it is (e.g. English, Mathematics, Biology) and type the course number in the box underneath, if you know it. If there are classes being offered, they will show up when you click on the CLASS SEARCH button.


If you have no holds on your records and you are eligible to register, you will see a box next the CRN. Click inside the box next to the class for which you wish to register and go to the bottom of the page and click on the REGISTER button. You will then be taken to the ADD/DROP page. You should see the class there, listing you as registered. If it is not, scroll down the page and see what the error is. There may be a pre-requisite you need, or there could be a time conflict! IF YOU HAVE A HOLD ON YOUR RECORD YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER UNTIL THE HOLD IS REMOVED! See your academic advisor for assistance in removing holds.



I just don't know what I want to major in. Where can I get some help with Career Counseling?


Career exploration and counseling is available at the Student Success Center. Melanie Young and Terry Duncan are career counselors and their offices are located in Room 258 and Room 242 of Clement Hall. Call 731.881.1689 to schedule an appointment for career counseling, to take the Strong Interest Inventory and/or the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), receive access to ACT Discover (an internet-based career exploration tool).


You may also be interested in signing up for GENS 201 Career Exploration Class. Offered in the fall and in the spring, GENS 201 is a two-hour course designed with your career exploration in mind.


Melanie and Terry are here to assist you in making this VERY important life decision!



Are there other forms of counseling available?


Student Health and Counseling Services, located in the Boling University Center, is a great place to get help for any issues you may be facing. They have psychologists and counselors there to help you grow emotionally, intellectually, interpersonally, and professionally in a completely confidential environment.


Student Health and Counseling Services provides individual, group, and couples/family counseling, crisis intervention, and referrals. They also offer a wide variety of workshops and presentations on mental health and psychological topics for student organizations, classes, residence halls, and the community.



I have a disability; is there a Disabilities Office at UT Martin?


It is the policy of UT Martin to provide reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments and auxiliary aids) to assist students with disabilities in negotiating the university system.


Any student with a permanent or temporary disability MUST self-identify with the Student Success Center. Documentation guidelines must be followed before a student can receive services.


Services provided can include but are not limited to:

  • Note taker
  • Scribe
  • Extended time on tests

The person who can assist you in this area is Stephanie Mueller. She is located in the Student Success Center, Room 203 Clement Hall. Her telephone number is (731) 881-7605.





Student Health And Counseling Services is located at the southeast corner of campus between Cooper Hall and University Village on the corner of Lee Street. They can be reached at (731) 881-7750 or (731) 881-7751.


The Student Heath And Counseling Services office is opened Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. during which time a nurse is on duty. The clinician is available 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. every day.


To be eligible for services, you must be enrolled in classes during that semester. A health history card must be completed and on file in the Student Health And Counseling office. Services include general outpatient care, first aid care, limited laboratory services, vaccines, physicals, administration of allergy shots, and educational programs.


For further answers to Student Health And Counseling Services Frequently Asked Questions, go to the Student Health And Counseling Services website: //


If there is a question you have that is not covered in this Frequently Asked Questions section, please feel free to contact Melanie Young at (731) 881-1598 or email

Have a Question?

8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Monday - Friday

By Phone:
(731) 881-7744

By E-Mail:

In Person:
Clement Hall, Room 256 (#37, Campus Map)
210 Hurt Street (Driving Directions) - Past Stop Sign, 2nd Building on Left)

SSC Newsletter

View Current Newsletter >