UT Martin High School Trombone Ensemble Competition
The UTM High School Trombone Ensemble Competition (UTM TEC) was established in the Fall of 2013 by Dr. Joseph W. Frye. The competition is designed to encourage interest and participation in trombone chamber music at the high school level in west Tennessee and surrounding areas. The long-term goal of the UTM TEC is to positively impact and promote growth in the quality of trombone playing among high school students who participate.
Guidelines for the 2018 UTM TEC will be released on November 1, 2017
- There is an entry fee of $25 per group.
- The winners of the UTM High School Trombone Ensemble Competition will be invited to perform on UTM’s Spring Trombone Night performance.
- Submissions will be adjudicated by UTM faculty members.
- Ensembles must be at least three (3) players with a maximum of sixteen (16) players
- All performers must be enrolled in high school and in grades 9-12.
- Players can be from different schools; however groups from within the same program are highly encouraged.
- Ensembles may perform any of the pieces on the Required Literature list; however, there should only be a maximum number of two (2) players per part. Ensembles not adhering to this policy will be disqualified.
- Trio: Fugue in G Minor from Toccata in G – J.S. Bach, Arr. Meyer
- Quartet: Achieved is the Glorious Work – Haydn, Arr. Miller
- Quintet: Italian March – Bonelli, Arr. Cramer/Falcone
- Sextet: Abendlied – Rheinberger, Arr. Smith
- Septet: Yorkshire Ballad – Barnes, Arr. Bohls
- Octet: Holy Is God the Lord, from Elijah – Mendelssohn, Arr. Ostrander
The winning ensemble will be awarded a 10-minute feature performance on the Spring Trombone Night concert on Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 3:00 pm (the winning ensemble will be responsible for their travel to and from the Trombone Night Concert).
- This competition requires a video recorded preliminary audition
- Recordings must be submitted electronically, along with an online application, which can be found in the submission guidelines section below
- Please introduce your group and the piece(s) you will be performing at the beginning of your video.
- Recordings must be submitted by providing a link to your video. This can be done by publishing it as an unlisted video on Youtube and providing the URL or by sharing the file via Dropbox or another file-sharing service.
- Once your video has been uploaded, please complete the online entry form by clicking on the link below:
- Applications and video recordings for the competition must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm Central Standard Time on Sunday, February 26, 2017.
UTM TEC Winners
2015 - The Munford High School Trombone Choir
Doug Young, Director
Hannah De Young
2014 – The Triple Pedal Bones
Westview High School, Martin, Tennessee
Unless otherwise noted, all performances are in the Blankenship Recital Hall, located on the first floor of the Fine Arts Building.
View Calendar >
View Newsletter >