Geography is the study and analysis of the earth. As such, it is broad field which involves study and mapping of both natural and human phenomena. Geographers are in the forefront of research involving problems such as climate change, desertification, economic globalization, and international geopolitical conflicts. Geographers also developed and continue to advance high-technology mapping systems now used by both the military and everyday internet users (Global Positioning Systems (GPS), Google Earth, weather radar maps, etc.).
The Geoscience-Geography curriculum at UT Martin provides broad-based training to prepare students for careers in the job market or for continued studies in graduate school. By completing a combination of courses selected under the guidance the geography faculty, students will be exposed to the wide variety of topics and approaches used in contemporary geography and develop skills and knowledge that are targeted toward a particular area of interest. Because our primary mission is undergraduate education, classes are relatively small and student-faculty interaction is high. Research opportunities are available and fieldtrips are integral in many of courses.
* Our comprehensive program provides a solid, broad-based exposure to the discipline
* Faculty members are student-oriented and work with majors on an individual basis
* The faculty is active in research projects
* All of our classes are taught by faculty, not by graduate assistants
* Small class sizes allows students to receive individual attention
* Exploratory fieldtrips are integrated into many of our classes
* Undergraduate research opportunities are available to students interested in projects
that can be done individually or with faculty
Geography in involves study of the earth and so we highly encourage our students to travel for both study and pleasure. Geography majors have several related opportunities, including:
* Course credit for internships is available
* Travel-study courses are regularly offered by the department and other programs
* Participation in one of UT Martin's many study-abroad programs is encouraged
With the proper combination of courses and curricula combinations selected through advising, students can go on to …
* … graduate study in:
- geographic information science (GIScience)
- regional & urban planning
- environmental studies
* … jobs in areas such as:
- economic development
- environmental management
- geographic information systems (GIS)
- military and state intelligence analysis
* … officer training in the US military (through on-campus recruitment via ROTC or through separate post-graduate military enlistment programs).
GeoClub is a UT Martin student organization open to all students on the campus. It specializes in fun and informative fieldtrips to interesting places ranging from primitive caves to nearby cities. GeoClub members can also participate in activities such as GeoConclave, a statewide college geology skills competition held every year at Fall Creek Falls State Park.
* The department hosts a GIS/Cartography Laboratory equipped with digitizer, large-scale plotter, and software (ArcView, Idrisi, and Designer).
* A USGS Topographic Map depository containing 1:24000 topographic quads for the
entire southeastern US is housed in the department
* A private student study room reserved for Geoscience majors is available 24/7
The faculty has experience in academic research and in practical applied fields. Their specializations include:
Geographic Information Systems