The UTM Undersound is a growing tuba/euphonium studio under the direction of Professor Matt Stratton at The University of Tennessee at Martin. UT Martin is located in the northwest corner of Tennessee. Students who wish to major in music will have the option of pursuing their undergraduate degree in music education, music performance, or music pedagogy. The department offers a music minor for students that wish to continue study on their instrument and participate in ensembles after high school. We welcome and encourage participation from UTM students who are completing degrees in another field of study.
Check out video below from the 2013 Honors Chamber Ensemble Festival at UTM. These four gentlemen came from high schools in Kentucky and Tennessee. They met for the first time on campus for a days worth of coaching and this is part of their performance.
- Euphoniums: Justin Goredetsky, White House, TN & Jakob Womak, Henry County, TN.
- Tubas: Stephen Courtney Thomas, Graves County, KY & Max Crofton, Murray, KY.
- Saturday December 7, 2013 - All West Help Session Day, UTM
- Saturday January 25, 2014 - Honor Band, UTM
- Thursday January 30, 2013 - All West, Memphis TN
- Monday, February 17 Jr.-Sr. Day. Come see the music department in action!
The February 17th audition date is designed as a full day for students and parents. Students are able to sit in on classes, play in chamber groups, and experience most facets of life as a music major at UTM. There are multiple question and answer sessions for parents. Students that need to travel great distances generally lodge at a local hotel Sunday evening prior to Junior/Senior day.
Starting Fall 2012 -
OUT OF STATE TUTION WAIVERS are available for highly qualified candidates. Please inquire with Professor Stratton for specific academic requirements.
Last Update - October 2013
c. 2013 The Undersound