Under the direction of the Chancellor, the Provost and Vice Chancellor is the chief academic officer for the University of Tennessee, Martin. Represents the campus in the Chancellor’s absence and is responsible for the university’s core academic mission, focusing resources toward achievement of established strategic plans at a university where academic excellence, enrollment and student success are top priorities. Articulates a vision for academic affairs and provides leadership for the academic planning process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Provost and Vice Chancellor provides vital, creative and adaptable vision and leadership for the academic enterprise; is responsible for oversight of the academic division including, all colleges, departments and units that support it; works collaboratively with the UTM Chancellor’s leadership team and system-wide administration; implements the university’s academic plan including faculty development and program evaluation. Other duties and responsibilities:
- Supports the development and advancement of the university’s academic mission.
- Assists with the continuous improvement of the quality of the academic experience.
- Oversees enrollment management, student success and student access programs.
- Promotes excellence and enhances academic instruction, research, scholarship, creative activity, public service and the diversity of the institution.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure that all programs meet the standards of the accrediting bodies.
- Advises the Chancellor on all matters relating to the academic functions of the university.
- Provides academic and executive level leadership and supervision for all academic programs and educational support services, including undergraduate, graduate, extended campus and continuing education programs.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of quality in education and operations consistent with goals and objectives of the university.
- Provides guidance, leadership and motivation for all faculty and staff within the academic division.
- Sets standards for assessing the quality of programs, teaching of the curriculum, and student learning.
- Stimulates the development, implementation and assessment of academic and long-range plans, including continuous assessment of the university's long-term enrollment plan, works closely with the division of Student Affairs, advancement of diversity and the integration of technological tools that will enhance a learning environment.
- Coordinates and manages the budget development of various colleges, academic support services, and enrollment management and prepares the annual divisional budget recommendations.
- Ensures that academic, student service, and enrollment programs and plans, are current and are integrated with the institutional mission statement.
- Establishes and maintains an effective plan that supports the recruitment and retention of highly qualified faculty and students.
- Embraces a data-driven decision-making organization and ensures that the data necessary for academic planning and decision-making are available as needed.
- Identifies new sources of revenue to support existing programs and provides leadership for the creation and funding of new programs, which foster the mission of the university.
- Reviews all evaluations and files regarding the reappointment, promotion, tenure or dismissal of faculty and makes final recommendation to the Chancellor.
- Committed to the advancement efforts of the university, including participation in alumni and donor activities.
For a full position description for the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs position, check the Taleo Position Description.