Department of English
131M Holt Humanities Building
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin , TN 38238
University of Missouri-Columbia, Ph.D., 1996-2002, English
Dissertation: “Republican Aesthetics and the Discourse of Conspiracy in Federalist Literature”
Brigham Young University, MA, 1994-1996, English
Brigham Young University , BA, 1987-1994, English
2008-present: Associat Professor, Deparment of English and Modern Foreign Languages, University of Tennesee at
2002-2008: Assistant Professor, Department of English, University of Tennessee at Martin
1998-2002: Teaching Fellow, Department of English, University of Missouri-Columbia
1999, 2001: Adjunct Faculty, Department of English, Westminster College (Fulton , MO)
2000: Summer Teaching Fellow, Department of English, Brigham Young University
1996-1998: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of English, University of Missouri-Columbia
1994-1996: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of English, Brigham Young University
HONORS AND AWARDS
Coffey Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Tennessee at Martin, 2008 ($5000)
Faculty Exchange Representative with University of New Brunswick Saint John, 2008.
Outstanding Junior Faculty Member of the Year, University of Tennessee at Martin, 2006.
Harry Hocks Dissertation Fellowship, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2000-2001 ($3000)
Edwin M. and Minnie Berry Rowe Graduate Teaching Award, Finalist, 1996
“The Whiskey Rebellion.” The Encyclopedia of American Conspiracy Theories . Ed. Peter Knight. ABC-CLIO, 2004.
“The New England Illuminati: Conspiracy and Causality in Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland .” New England Quarterly 76.3 (2003): 326-58.
“Language and Responsibility: The Failure of Discourse in Carson McCullers's The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter .” Southern Quarterly 37.2 (1999): 118-26.
WORKS IN PROGRESS
Plots Political and Literary: The Discourse of Conspiracy in Early National Literature. (Book-length
study of conspiracy as a simultaneous social and literary construct in
the early national period.)
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS/ INVITED LECTURES
National Conferences :
- Panel Chair. Representing Insurrection: Early America and Its Discontents, Society of Early Americanists Conference, Alexandria , VA , March 2005.
- “Literalizing Alarmism: Charlotte Temple
and the Melodrama of Republican Ideology.” South Atlantic Modern
Language Association Conference, Roanoke, VA, November 2004.
- “Countersubversive Rhetoric and Public Discourse in
Early America .” Rhetoric Society of America Conference. Las
Vegas , NV , May 2002.
- “Charles Brockden Brown's Conspiratorial Aesthetic in Wieland .” Society of Early Americanists Conference. Norfolk , VA , March 2001.
- “Coincidence or Paranoia: Charles Brockden Brown's
Manipulative Art.” Midwest Modern Language Association
Conference. Kansas City , MO , November 2000.
- “Anti-Mormon Sensationalism and Mark Twain's Comic Strategy in Roughing It. ” Midwest Modern Language Association Conference. St. Louis , MO , November 1998.
- “The Gothic Comes to America : Epistemelogical Anxiety in Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland .” Midwest American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies. Mackinaw City , MI , October 1998.
- “Violence and the Displaced Self in Flannery
O'Connor's ‘Good Country People.'” Flannery O'Connor and
the Christian Mystery. Provo , UT , November 1995.
- “Creating Dissonance in the Classroom: A Guide for
Teaching Freshman English.” Wyoming Conference on English.
Laramie , WY , June 1995.
Departmental/Regional Colloquia :
- Featured Speaker, “Mark Twain: Life, Laughter, and
the Mississippi ,” Dyersburg Book Festival, Dyersburg , TN ,
- Keynote Speaker, “Plots Political and Literary:
Conspiracies in American Film and Literature,” Tennessee
Governor's School for the Humanities, Martin , TN , June 2004.
- “Some Thoughts on Carrying Children,” Faculty
Read-a-loud—West Tennessee Writing Project. Martin , TN ,
- “The Carnivalesque as a Hegemonic Agent: Bakhtin Meets The Simpsons ” University of Missouri EGSA Conference. Columbia , MO , February 1997.
- “ Interstiality in Colorado River Lore,” Utah Folklore Society, Salt Lake City , UT , June 1995.
Women Writers: Gender, Race, and Class
Travel-Study Instructor and Co-Coordinator: New England History and Literature
American Romanticism and Sentimentalism
American Literature before 1900
Literature and Film
Senior English Capstone
Literature of the Northeastern United States
Lower Division/Service Courses
Survey of American Literature to 1865
Survey of American Literature 1865 to Present
Survey of World Literature—Enlightenment to Present
Introduction to Twentieth-Century World Literature
Introduction to Literature
Young Scholars Academy for African American Students
Introduction to First-year English for Multi-Cultural Students
Graduate Council--Faculty Senate
Co-Coordinator, UT-Martin Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Writing Conference
First Year Experience College Leader
Other relevant service as assigned
Co-Director, English Society
Student/Alumni Relations Committee
Other relevant service as assigned
Departmental Research Time Reallocation, Spring 2004, 2006, 2008. (Course Reduction)
NEH Summer Seminar—The Early American Republic and the Problem of Governance, Library Company of
Philadelphia, 2005. ($3000)
On Course Teacher Development Workshop. Lake Junaluska, North Carolina. (2005)
Technology Development Grant— University of Tennessee at Martin, 2005. ($800)
“Voice Lessons.” Faculty Writing Development Program for
the West Tennessee Writing Project. Margrethe
Alshwede, Director and Coordinator. 2003.
Research, endnotes, indexing, editing:
Cather, Willa. Alexander's Bridge . Ed. Tom Quirk.
Willa Cather Scholarly Editions Project. U of Nebraska P,
Bierce, Ambrose. Tales of Soldiers and Civilians: And Other Stories . Ed. Tom Quirk. New York : Penguin, 2000.
Editorial Assistant, the minnesota review . Jeff Williams, editor, 1998-99.
Quirk, Tom. Mark Twain: A Study of the Short Fiction . New York : Twayne Publishers, 1997.
Editorial Assistant, English 115 in the Shade: A Journal of Student Writing. Brigham Young University , 1996.
South Central Modern Language Association
Society of Early Americanists
Society for American Travel Writing