University Physics-PHYS 221, Fall 2000, UT Martin
Quiz 2 (Electric Field)-Redo Quiz
Constants: e= 1.60x10-19C, k = 9.0x109 N.m2/C2. me=9.11x10-31 kg.
lines in some part of the space. What is the direction of the force
on a positive test charge placed at points A and B on the field line?
Draw an arrow at points A and B to respond! Indicate
how you decided on the direction!
2) In the picture for problem 1 above, the field strength in the
region to the left of point B is ____________that of the region to the right of point B.(Choices: greater than, smaller than , equal to).
3) An arrangement of two point-like charges
,as shown in the picture, sets up electric field
in the surrounding region. At which point,
the total electric field is most likely to be zero?
a) A b)B c)C d)D
3) a) What is the magnitude of a uniform electric field that accelerates an electron at a rate of 1.0x1018 m/s2. Assume that the electron is initially at rest when it is released from the midpoint of two equally and oppositely charged parallel plates?
b) Which direction does the electron move?
c) What is the sign of the charge on the upper plate?
4) A thin glass rod is bent into a semicircle of radius.
half, and a charge –q is uniformly distributed
along the lower half as shown. Draw
the direction of the electric field at the center of
5) An electric field dipole consists of charges +2C at x=2 cm and –2C at x= -2 cm.
b) If a uniform electric field of 10 N/C is applied along the +y direction, what is the potential energy of the dipole in the external field?