Muriel Tomlinson


After receiving a Ph.D. from Duke University, Muriel Tomlinson came to UT-Martin in 1959 as Associate Professor, teaching French and Spanish in the English Department. Realizing the key role foreign languages have to play in preparing undergraduates for the modern world, she militated for the creation of a separate department of foreign languages and served as its first Chair from 1962-1976. As she built its full-time faculty from two to six, she oversaw the introduction of minors in French, German, and Spanish and majors in French and Spanish. She was promoted to Professor in 1962 and retired in June 1976, receiving emeritus status shortly thereafter. Dr. Tomlinson was also an advocate of technology and understood how it could enhance the learning process. She helped plan our campus' original language laboratory and used it as an integral component of her innovative Individualized Instruction Program.

The Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center commemorates fittingly the vision and dedication of the founding Chair of UT-Martin's Department of Modern Foreign Languages.