Palmersville, Tennessee, United States [Place] is in Weakley County; location is 3624'12"N 8835'14"W; elevation is 450 feet.

Palmersville, Tennessee, United States Postal Service Zip Code is 38241 

A Brief History of Palmersville

Palmersville is a small community located in the Northeast corner of Weakley County.  It was named for W.R. Palmer, one of the early settlers who lived near Cane Creek.  It was also one of the first three settlements in our county and has always been mainly a farming and one time dairy community.  During the late 1800's we find the Palmersville was blessed with many of the institutions which comprise our modern day communities - schools, churches, and various manufacturing enterprises.

The first business section included a drug store, four merchandise stores, a mill, a garage, a post office, a bank, a cheese factory, a blacksmith shop and three churches.  In 1924, a fire destroyed most of the town leaving only the bank, two stores and Riggins Blacksmith Shop.

All new construction moved a short distance to the highway to begin a new town.  The first businesses to open were a service station, general merchandise, mill, grocery store, electrical appliance and garage.

The citizens in the late 19th century recognized the need for an educational system.  A school was organized and composed of an elementary school, preparatory or high school and a college-named Minida. B.S. and B.A. degrees were offered.  The fee for a B.S. degree was $8.25 per term for ten weeks and $10.00 per term for a B.A.  The school was in session until the building was condemned.  Land was purchased and the new school was built on accommodate more students and an expanded curriculum.  In 1951 a new gym was built.  In 1981 the old building was torn down and replaced with a modern brick building.

With the passing of time, the town has expanded to include a First State Bank, (Bank is in the process of closing)  new post office, The Store, (The store has closed) Hubert's Restaurant,  Larry's Service Station, Perry's Farm Supply, Hutson Fertilizer Distributor, Fire Station and Cantrell Lumber Company.

 

 

Minida College at Palmersville in the Late 1800's

 

In the conclusion portion of the Minida Normal College catalogue printed in 1891, are found these words: "We live in a progressive age.  The world is moving with rapid strides.  No one without proper preparation should expect to keep pace with the times.  The time has been when this country was new and men could be sufficiently educated in the forest.  When they could plod along almost any way and rise with the country.  But that dispensation is passed.  This country is rich and powerful.  Business, science, and literature progress almost with lightning speed, and the man who has to drive his way through this country without an education has to labor under a great disadvantage."

Minida College Catalog

Palmersville's Past

Map of the Village of Palmersville 1912 through 1924

Will of Smith Palmer

Back to Lee's Emporium