Ph.D., Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Office: 222D Johnson EPS Building
Phone: (731) 881-7433
Fax: (731) 881-7443
I have been working on research projects with many students here at UTM over the years. These cover a range of Physics areas including modern physics, solid state physics and magnetic field effects on materials and e-m waves. I advise students on their undergraduate physics projects in these areas. Results of some of the student projects have been published in peer reviewed journals. Getaneh and Wimbish. .
1. M. Getaneh, W. A. Wimbish, “Measuring Dipole Moment of a Permanent Magnet and the Earth’s Local Magnetic Field.” Journal of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Vol. 85, No. 2, 41-45 (2010). Getaneh and Wimbish
2. M. Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Applications of the Microchannel Plate for Isotope Spectrometry” Proceedings of the Joint Annual Conference of the National Society of Black Physicists and the National Society of Hispanic Physicists (NSBP/NSHP), AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 991, pp. 82-89 (2008). Getaneh - NRL- TEAMS 1
3. M.Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Application of the Microchannel Plate for Isotope Mass Spectrometry”, Bulletin of the Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society, March 13-17, 2006
4. M.Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Application of the Microchannel Plate System for Mass Spectrometry Measurements”, Bulletin of the 72nd Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Section of the APS, November 10-12, 2005.
5. D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, M.Getaneh, and S.J.Tumey, “Status Report of the NRL TEAMS Facility”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B, Vol. 223, 71-77 (2004). Getaneh-NRL-TEAMS3
6. C.Cetina, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, M. Getaneh, S.J.Tumey, R.Raffanti, O.H.W.Siegmund, J.V.Vallerga, “A Microchannel Plate System for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Measurements”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 513, 403-407 (2003). Getaneh- NRL-TEAMS 2
7. X. X. Wang, M. Getaneh, E. Kaczanowicz, C.J.Martoff, "Hot Electron Effects and Dynamic Behavior of Gold Doped Germanium Thin Films as Cryogenic Phonon Sensors", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 85, #12, 8274-8280 (1999). Cryogenic Phonon Sensor
8. C.J.Martoff, A. Garzarella, M. Getaneh, E. Kaczanowicz, B. Neuhauser, D.Snowden-Ifft, X.X.Wang, Y. Zhang, "Prototype Direction-Sensitive Solid-State Detector for Dark Matter", Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, #26, 4882-4885 (1996). Getaneh - Dark Matter Detector
9. M. Getaneh, “Prototype Direction-Sensitive Solid-State Detector for Dark Matter”, Ph.D. Dissertation, UMI Dissertation Services, 1996.
1. Blackboard (Syllabuses, Course Materials, References, Important Links related to courses, and Announcements)
2. Mastering Physics (Assignments and Tutorials - Click here to log-in to the Assignment website)
Some Useful Physics Links
1. (Credit: Prof. THOOFT)