Ph.D., Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Office: 222D Johnson EPS Building
Phone: (731) 881-7433
Fax: (731) 881-7443
I work in the area of Experimental Condensed Matter Physics. This has been an area of my collaboration with the Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, where I was a Faculty Research Fellow in the summers of 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003. This collaboration resulted in a series of measurements and publications under the theme “Applications of the microchannel plate for mass spectrometry”. I also work with undergraduate students on experimental projects in Modern Physics, Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Condensed Matter Physics, Thermodynamics, and Magneto-Optical properties of matter.
1. M. Getaneh, W. A. Wimbish, “Measuring Dipole Moment of a Permanent Magnet and the Earth’s Local Magnetic Field.” Journal of the Tennessee Academy of Science, Vol. 85, No. 2, 41-45 (2010).
2. M. Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Applications of the Microchannel Plate for Isotope Spectrometry” Proceedings of the Joint Annual Conference of the National Society of Black Physicists and the National Society of Hispanic Physicists (NSBP/NSHP), AIP Conference Proceedings, Volume 991, pp. 82-89 (2008). http://link.aip.org/link/?APCPCS/991/82/1
3. M.Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Application of the Microchannel Plate for Isotope Mass Spectrometry”, Bulletin of the Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society, March 13-17, 2006
4. M.Getaneh, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, and S.J.Tumey, “Application of the Microchannel Plate System for Mass Spectrometry Measurements”, Bulletin of the 72nd Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Section of the APS, November 10-12, 2005.
5. D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, C.Cetina, G.K.Hubler, M.Getaneh, and S.J.Tumey, “Status Report of the NRL TEAMS Facility”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B, Vol. 223, 71-77 (2004). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168583X04005348
6. C.Cetina, D.L.Knies, K.S.Grabowski, M. Getaneh, S.J.Tumey, R.Raffanti, O.H.W.Siegmund, J.V.Vallerga, “A Microchannel Plate System for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Measurements”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, Vol. 513, 403-407 (2003). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168900203022952
7. X. X. Wang, M. Getaneh, E. Kaczanowicz, C.J.Martoff, "Hot Electron Effects and Dynamic Behavior of Gold Doped Germanium Thin Films as Cryogenic Phonon Sensors", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 85, #12, 8274-8280 (1999). http://jap.aip.org/resource/1/japiau/v85/i12/p8274_s1?isAuthorized=no
8. C.J.Martoff, A. Garzarella, M. Getaneh, E. Kaczanowicz, B. Neuhauser, D.Snowden-Ifft, X.X.Wang, Y. Zhang, "Prototype Direction-Sensitive Solid-State Detector for Dark Matter", Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, #26, 4882-4885 (1996). http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v76/i26/p4882_1
9. M. Getaneh, “Prototype Direction-Sensitive Solid-State Detector for Dark Matter”, Ph.D. Dissertation, UMI Dissertation Services, 1996.
1. Blackboard (Syllabuses, Course Materials, References, Important Links related to courses, and Announcements)
2. Mastering Physics (Assignments and Tutorials - Click here to log-in to the Assignment website)
Some Useful Physics Links
1. Online Physics and Maths books (Credit: Prof. THOOFT)