in English, The University of Mississippi, 1977
- M.A. in English, Duke University, 1964, and Ph.D. coursework,
- B.A., Princeton University, 1961, with honors in English
- Attended Union University, Jackson, TN, 1957-59
from Medina (TN) High School, 1957
- Professor of English, The Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages, The University of Tennessee at Martin,
1982-present; Associate Professor, 1977-82; Assistant Professor,
1969-77. Tenured 1972-73.
- Instructor, Tennessee
Governors School for the Humanities, 1985-96.
- Co-advisor, ALLIES, 1996-97.
- Advisor, The Spirit,the
UTM yearbook, 1969-84 (on leave 1976-77).
- Associate. Professor of English, Central Virginia Community
College; Coordinator, Division of Humanities and Social
Sciences, 1968-69; Assistant Professor, 1967-68.
- Assistant Professor of
English, The Lynchburg Branch of The University of Virginia,
- Lecturer, The Roanoke
Center of The University of Virginia, summers 1965 and 1967.
- Graduate instructor
in English, Duke University, 1964-65.
- Civilian technical writer/editor,
U.S. Army project Swamp Fox II, 1962-63, Durham, NC, and
Republic of Panama.