The University of Tennessee
STAN P. DUNAGAN Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Geology / The University of Tennessee at Martin
(Adobe Acrobat [. pdf] format)
UT MARTIN LINKS:
Stan P. Dunagan
Dept. of Geology, Geography, and Physics
208-E Johnson EPS Building
The Univ. of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN 38238-5039 USA
Main Office FAX:
Physical Geology 111 & 111L
Final Course Grades
(link to be reactivated in Dec 2002)
Test Coverage: Textbook chapters 5, 6, 7 (which corresponds to Test #2: Material in Course Documents)
Test Format: Multiple choice, T/F, fill in the blank, and short answer/essay style questions.
Potential Short Answer/Essay Style Questions:
1. What is mechanical weathering? Name and describe 3 ways to mechanically weather earth materials.
2. What is chemical weathering? Name and describe 2 chemical weathering processes, include examples of chemical weathering products.
3. Describe the different stages of the lithification process in sedimentary rocks, including potential cement types.
4. What are sedimentary structures and how they are used to interpret ancient and modern sedimentary environments? Name and describe 4 examples of sedimentary structures.
5. Name and describe the 5 major factors controlling metamorphism.
6. What is contact metamorphism? Name 2 common contact metamorphic rocks. What are the source rocks for each and how do you differentiate between these two metamorphic rocks?
Additional Notes: The exam will consist of 35-45 multiple choice and 2 short-answer/essay questions that I will pick from the list above. The material from the 4 essay questions I do not pick will be covered as possible multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank questions; therefore, the ability to properly answer all the essay questions is excellent preparation for both the essay and some of the multiple choice questions.
Return to Physical Geology 111, click here.
04 September 2002 09:18