UT-Martin SMACS Attend Regional & National Meetings
Five University of Tennessee at Martin Student Members of the American Chemical Society (SMACS) -Lee Elliott, Gilbert Forgays, James Griffin, Punam Patel & Kayla Poindexter of ACS and the faculty advisor Dr. S. K. Airee attended the ACS National Meeting in San Francisco from March 19 -24. Travel was supported by the Division of Student Affairs and the Chemistry Department/Academic Affairs at UTM. Some of the activities that the SMACS are chronologically:
- SMACS helped with the Presidential Outreach Event with Hands- on Sustainability on Saturday morning. They were involved in interactive demonstration with visitors at a museum. Picture 1 shows Elliott, Griffin and Forgays at the sign, and pic 2 all five with ACS President Dr. Joseph S. Francisco.
- The group participated in the Chem Demo exchange on Sunday morning, The demonstrated the biodiesel preparation from household chemical. Pics 3 & 4 show the set up and the actual demonstration.
- At an Awards Ceremony on Sunday night the chapter received two awards one for chapter performance and the other one Green Chapter. Pic 5 shows the SMACS with ACS president Dr. Nancy Jackson and the plaques.
- On Monday morning the group participated in the Community Outreach Workshop. Pic 6 shows SMACS trying one of the activities.
- SMACS ttended an Eminent Scientist Lecture featuring Dr. Daniel G.Nocera. on Personalized Energy: A Carbon – Neutral Energy Supply for 1(x6 Billion) . Pic 7 shows the group with Dr. Nocera.
- U.T. –Martin displayed a poster at the Sci-Mix/Successful Student Chapter Poster Session. Pic 8 shows the group along with Nancy Bakowski, Manager, Undergraduate Programs Office | Education Division of ACS.
Page created by SMACS Secretary Gilbert Forgays & FA on April 22, 2010