Name(s) of Buildings: Lovelace Hall/House


Construction Dates: 1946-1947; moved 1975; demolished 1982

Cost: $15,000

Brief History:

The Lovelace House was constructed on the east side of campus near Lovelace street, to house students and faculty unable to find other housing on campus during the post-war enrollment boom. The materials were purchased from the closed Army base at Fort Tyson (outside of Paris, Tennessee). Originally a four-unit apartment block for married veterans, it served as primarily as a men's dormitory between the late 1940s and mid 1970s. In 1975 the Lovelace House was relocated to property north of the football stadium where it remained until 1982 when it was demolished in preparation for the construction of the Agriculture Pavilion.