Name(s) of Buildings: "Wooden Box" men's dormitory


Construction Dates: 1946-1947; demolished 1956

Cost: not known

Brief History:

This temporary men's dormitory was never officially named, but it was known popularly as the "Wooden Box" during its lifetime. Residents were jocularly known as the "Knights of the Wooden Box." The edifice was hastily assembled from surplus government building materials purchased from the Army base at Fort Tyson (outside Paris, Tenn.) at its closure. During the late 1940's and early 1950's, the building was used for housing veterans who returned from the Second World War. It occupied the site of Clement Hall and was removed when that building was begun in 1956.