Participants will gain the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies through a combination of online learning and in-person skills sessions. Upon successful completion, participants will earn an American Red Cross certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED which is valid for two years.
Dates and Times:
For information on class dates and times contact Eric Simmons at 731-881-3754.
- $35 nonrefundable deposit to secure space
- $125 to be paid after passing prerequisite skills test
- Minimum age of 15
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface in order to breathe (or to get a breath).
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
View the hours of operation of our facilities
View Hours >
Learn More >